Hiking boot preference?

I thought REI changed to a 90 day policy a few years back, though?
1 year. On every item they sell.

"100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
We stand behind everything we sell. If you are not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase.
REI’s guarantee doesn’t cover ordinary wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.
If your item has a manufacturing defect in its materials or workmanship, you can return it at any time. See our limited warranty."

If you are a member, you don't even need proof of purchase provided you bought it under your member number.

I once returned a pair of boots after nearly nine months. Toe box just wasn't large enough. I've been a member a long time. Only returned merchandise twice. A pair of boots and a pack. Both purchased in the last couple of years. No hassle at all.

Last edited:
I usually hike in Merrell Gore-tex boots, but I have cme to hate the heat and lack of trail-feel, so after some reading, I decided to switch to a trail running shoe, and settled on the Saucony Peregrine 7. They've got amazing soles, great trail feel, and they're so lightweight I barely notice them on my feet. Had to return my first pair to REI because I got a half-size too small and my toes were pinched, but I think I have the right fit now. Hitting the trail with them for the first time tomorrow, hopefully, and I can't wait to see how they do!

Wore the soles off my Docs after 18 months, I figure a year and a half is a good run for work boots. Got a new pair, these ones are canvas rather than nylon so we shall see if they last as long. I'll treat them a couple times with oilskin re-proofer, and then see what happens. Pretty impressed by the nylon ones, and the canvas looks pretty good and tight, so worst case I'll fill them with fjallraven wax if they start to wear at the upper first. Other mod is to add speed hooks to the upper lace holes. DM also make a leather/nylon jungle boot, so that might be worth a check as well, but given how long it takes leather to dry in my conditions, I do like the synthetic materials.

Wore the soles off my Docs after 18 months, I figure a year and a half is a good run for work boots. Got a new pair, these ones are canvas rather than nylon so we shall see if they last as long. I'll treat them a couple times with oilskin re-proofer, and then see what happens. Pretty impressed by the nylon ones, and the canvas looks pretty good and tight, so worst case I'll fill them with fjallraven wax if they start to wear at the upper first. Other mod is to add speed hooks to the upper lace holes. DM also make a leather/nylon jungle boot, so that might be worth a check as well, but given how long it takes leather to dry in my conditions, I do like the synthetic materials.
I've owned the same pair of DM air soles for 15 years now and wore them daily for about 5 of those. What a great shoe! Uppers are still great and show a nice patina. The collar padding is worn and cracked as are the soles... But they are still useable.

I've heard the newer docs over the last couple years are just not made to the same quality level.

For light use Lowa and Scarpa. For serious use, especially carrying anything substantial, Limmer customs because my feet are terrible.

As far as I understand, you can still get the originals, made in the UK and they can be re-soled. The offshore ones cannot be. I'm walking on a combo of gravel, mud, aluminum ladders, timber platforms, as well as climbing in them. I'd guess I cover about 5km average a day. They would still be functional, and if I can find a glue to stick to the soles I'll patch the cracks and still use them, the sole is not fully gone. But 18 months of daily use is pretty solid, especially given the price. I never got that long out of my Magnum or Swat boots, and my merrels or jack wolfskins won't last a year under the conditions I put them through.

Really liking my Keen's and Merrell's------why did I buy them? They were cheap in the Scheel's clearance rack and they fit right---pretty much half price or less.

I've come to really dislike anything marketed as waterproof----they pretty much leave me with a swamp foot.

The biggest problem I have with my hiking boots is seems coming apart from moisture exposure I assume.
Had these under 2 years didn't wear them everyday, never at work, just hikes with my husky anywhere between 2 and 7 miles a day. I think I'm going to try Danner next, put up like $400 see how they work.

WcT08ch.jpg

I love to visit REI's stores. Closest ones are in Nashville and Atlanta for me. Atlanta is out as it is in the area where the interstate collapsed a week or so ago.

Like others have said, not sure how OP's question can be answered without reference to region, season, terrain, length of trip, etc. Only thing I'd add is that living in the South, I hate Gore-tex most of the year--would much rather have a boot (not a trail running shoe) that breathes and drains well and carry extra socks if needed. Keen Voyageurs have been a great option for me--decent ankle stability and protection but very well ventilated because of mesh sides with no Gore-tex lining, and they drain quickly and completely if they get inundated. They're what I use most of the time, other than in winter or when traveling to a different climate/terrain.

The biggest problem I have with my hiking boots is seems coming apart from moisture exposure I assume.
Had these under 2 years didn't wear them everyday, never at work, just hikes with my husky anywhere between 2 and 7 miles a day. I think I'm going to try Danner next, put up like $400 see how they work.

WcT08ch.jpg
Looks like a warranty issue. Look up their warranty claim on their website. Might be surprised. Wife had a pair of 10 year old Blundstone’s that the soles started falling apart on. Couple emails and pictures and she has a new pair. Might be worth an email to Merrell

I bought a pair of Columbia titanium boots 8years ago thinking they would get me by until I could afford something better..... I still wear them and aside from the tread being a bit worn they are still going strong. To be honest I would likely consider another pair when these die

Come on guys - no one mentioned custom made boots. Get a pair of Peter Limmer's and be done with it. Great boots and funny guy, too.

Although not technically a hiking boot, I've been using Magnum Stealth Force 8.0 SZ CT for years. By far the most comfortable shoe of any type that I own. Great all-round sole for most surfaces. Great arch support that prevents my plantar fasciitis from acting up. Nice side zipper for easy on-easy off. I wear these for work too (and any time I can get away with it), so the composite toe is great for construction sites). The nice big rubber bumpers and 8" ankle are great for hiking on very uneven rocky scree in the Catskill Mountains.

That magnums look like many of the so-called tactical boots on the market today. I wore Danner Stryker II's for a long time because they really felt like a cross between running shoes and boots. Lately, I've began appreciating a more robust construction for that purpose. I current favorite duty boot is the Bates 21500 infantry combat boot. Its very similar to the Danner Acadia but is a goodyear welt instead of stitch down and more importantly doesn't lace all the way to the toe. Its too bad they haven't been manufactured for years since the military went to rough-out boots. Still some NOS surplus out there, but getting hard to find.

I've been using Vasque hiking boots since the late 90s. I actually have a pair of re-soled Sundowners I handed to my oldest son - boots are older than him. Also had a pair of Lowa light hikers I really liked, but I've not found many places nearby selling Lowa.

Boots - instruments used upon the feet to conquer an obstacle or a foe (i.e. football cleats, golf shoes, jackboots, kung fu slippers). "Put on your boots, boys -- it's go time."

Saucony Xodus 6.0 GTX

Night before @ 4,800', 20°, 40 mph winds, 5-8" snow
34500870055_8058ce4ad0_k.jpg

^ This pic is to validate my choice for wearing these boots in such conditions, and prove I'm only half talking out of my ass. I would not recommend these for temps lower than this, or 9,000+' in wintry conditions. Bushwhacking? Yeah, wear real boots lol.

Morning after @ Seneca Falls. Still clean and intact despite three trips (30-35 lb loads) and many miles.
33690915593_d38ba71c6e_k.jpg

Dexterity and agility conquers all. If one wants to protect the ankles while "Hiking," then make the supporting muscles and ligaments 10x stronger than they are right now. I've tramped numerous miles in these where the only place to put your foot was on the 6" rocks about 3" apart from each other, and every single one of those bastards was sticking a 1-2" point straight-up to adorn the trail; they don't have a rock solid, reinforced shank but they certainly get the job done. Did 14 miles in these in one day in loose sand - try that with a pair of clonkers, you won't enjoy it.

Edit: If anyone wants to try these, you'll have to order 1/2 size larger than your normal size; they follow the European foot model.

Last edited:
Question: I had always worn Italian made Vasque boots with nothing short of complete satisfaction. Then they went to China and I've never bought another pair - they just do not fit the same. I've been looking for a boot that fits ever since. Does anyone here know what Italian boot maker made the earlier boots for Vasque? I'd love to check them out and get a pair of boots that actually fit.
Thanks in advance.

Back