Hiking sticks?

mykel m

Gold Member
So, I can walk, but walk better with my hands gripping something like the bar on a treadmill or the handle of a shopping cart to steady my body and that got me to thinking about getting some of those newfangled hiking poles for my upcoming walking regimen around the neighborhood and hopefully hiking in the hills.

Maybe I'd be just as well off with a couple of homemade hiking staffs I have on hand or old ski poles from goodwill.

Experiences and or opinions welcome thank you.

I use a single wood hiking staff. Back in 1978, I cut down a live birch sapling (using the saw blade in an Elinox Lumberjack SAK; see the SAKWiki photo below). It was in a grove of them in a back-of-beyond campsite. With a rubber crutch tip on the end, it works great. It's been to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back in one day, and lots of other places.

I can see the practicalities of the two-hiking-poles approach. But I just can't see myself carrying ski poles (which is what they look like) without actually being on skis. If they're useful for anyone — hurray! But they're not for me.

show_image.php

i don't really have much experience with this. the couple times i have needed them (heavy packs on a multi-day Adirondack trip), i used ski poles. i was skeptical, but boy, i'm glad i had them. made a big difference. and the ski poles are super light. but again, don't have really that much to compare them to.

i'm just happy you're well enough to be getting back out there. cheers Myke.

Hiking/Treking poles are awesome. I've got a pair of Leki Super Makalu that have thousands of miles on them in 4 countries, on 3 continents. They collapse small enough to fit in our luggage, but the locks are strong enough to support a lot of weight.

I've found that poles allow me to utilize "four-wheel drive" going uphill. The ability to "push off" with your arms can't be overstated and gives a huge boost (like using the handrails going up stairs). On the downhill they can take a lot of the pressure off of your knees and have prevented me from falling more times then I can count when taking a bad step, when a rock rolls, or when the trail is slick.

Walking sticks and/or ski poles can provide the same benefits with the advantage of (possibly) being cheaper. The big plus for actual hiking poles is that they collapse; mailing them easier to transport and the length can be customized. The poles you find at the big box stores are heavier than more expensive "named" brand poles, but they are very servicable. I've hiked the Grand Canyon and Mt. Whitney with guys using them and they held up.

I've been known for using either a wood hiking stick or a standard heavy wooden cane on my bad days. An Amish fellow made the cane, it's heavy duty, works well for a larger guy like me. It would also make a nice weapon.

Sounds like you'll be walking for your health more than pleasure. I would think a pair of hiking poles would allow you to exercise your arms and shoulders while walking. I have used the generic adjustable poles on short hikes because I needed them for my shelter. I don't know how much better a higher quality pair would have been but I was satisfied with the cheaper ones.

oh yeah, something i wanted to mention about the ski poles. while they did work for my needs, they are obviously not designed for hiking. as such, the grips did ignite some hot spots on the hands. gloves may be a good option, if you go that route. i ended up holding the top of the poles almost exclusively, as this provided better range of motion for my wrists.

Some good replies guys, thank you.:thumbup:
I can't wait to hit some mountain trails, but will be content to walking around the hood and local parks until I get my stamina built up.

Love that old Elinox AreBeeBee.
I also love a saw on a SAK and won't carry one without a saw when in the woods.(GAK or Hercules)

Ray man, thanks for the link. I can't believe they are putting shock absorbers in hiking poles now a days. :eek: Who'd a thunk it?
Way too spendy for me.:rolleyes:

I was thinking of the cheaper aluminum poles found in most places like WallyWorld or Big 5, but I think I'll stick with my old bamboo ski pole and a plain pole I picked up off the ground while going up a hill near camp one Memorial Day Weekend many moons ago.
The longer poles are great for going down hill and I just adjust my grip lower when going up.With the round grip I don't have to worry about positioning my hand just right and there are no hot spots.
I cut/whittled the plastic handle off my bamboo pole and gave it a leather and paracord wrap for grip.

DSCN0123.jpg

Fishiker, I was thinking about the benefits of having two poles to work my arms and shoulders also and thats what got me to asking about hiking poles in the first place..:thumbup:

John, you mentioned possibly using a pole or cane as a weapon and I agree.
I kept the aluminum spike on my bamboo pole for that reason.
I figured if I'm ever charged by a bear I could fall on my back with the pole sticking up and hopefully it would impale itself before doing to much damage to me.:eek: Hey, ya never know....;)

A pair of quality trekking poles will make a big difference if you plan to do any serious hiking/walking. In addition to aiding balance, if used properly they also improve propulsion by getting your arms/shoulders involved in moving you forward. And, as noted above, they take a lot of the strain off your knees on the downhill portion.

Note that I said "if used properly." Believe it or not, using them properly is somewhat counterintuitive. You don't just grab the grips. Trekking poles have straps on them and it is the straps that bear the load, not squeezing the grips. If you're using them correctly you control the poles with just a couple of fingers and your thumb because the weight is on the straps.

To learn how to use trekking poles correctly, I recommend investing $10 in this video:

https://www.amazon.com/POLES-Hiking...3707624&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=jayah+fay+paley

There are lots of considerations involved in choosing trekking poles, e.g., shaft material, grip material, angled grips, shock absorbers, type of locks, weight, and price. Locks are especially important. I chose carbon fiber poles with cork grips by Black Diamond and am very happy with them. Spending some time on forums that deal with outdoor equipment and reading reviews will pay dividends.

Look for sales on poles by online retailers. This time of year you can find some good deals.

I'm confident you'll really like trekking poles. Good luck with your hiking.

HTH

Last edited:
I have Leki Cristallo poles. A couple things: I didn't get the shock absorber feature. From what I've read / discussed, it's really not needed. I've used mine a bit (5 or 6 5 mile hikes) and like the solid feel. But: I'm a big guy (270lbs) - YMMV. If you're going to be hitting varying terrain, large, steep hills, you'll want to be able to quickly change the length of the pole. As well: once you know how to use them, you'll find that your technique relies upon the straps more than the grip. So having a way to adjust the strap length easily is good.

I'm using mine for a couple reasons: first, I have to be extremely careful I don't fall, I have terminal cancer with a grossly enlarged spleen, and if I land on it, the terminal part becomes reality in a few minutes. So to hike in any conditions with questionable footing requires care. I also am largely unable to do much in the way of working out, so I use the poles to emphasize upper body a bit. It does work, I can definitely feel my upper body moreso after hiking.

You might also want to consider poles with interchangeable tips and baskets.

Hiking poles make a HUGE difference on steep or rocky terrain. We are Leki fans as well, but have hit up local thrift shops when it wasn't practical to bring ours along. Lots of X-C poles out there for a buck or two.

4c23c1f951687125db548f7402291588.jpg

Jeff

I have Leki Cristallo poles. A couple things: I didn't get the shock absorber feature. From what I've read / discussed, it's really not needed. I've used mine a bit (5 or 6 5 mile hikes) and like the solid feel. But: I'm a big guy (270lbs) - YMMV. If you're going to be hitting varying terrain, large, steep hills, you'll want to be able to quickly change the length of the pole. As well: once you know how to use them, you'll find that your technique relies upon the straps more than the grip. So having a way to adjust the strap length easily is good.

I'm using mine for a couple reasons: first, I have to be extremely careful I don't fall, I have terminal cancer with a grossly enlarged spleen, and if I land on it, the terminal part becomes reality in a few minutes. So to hike in any conditions with questionable footing requires care. I also am largely unable to do much in the way of working out, so I use the poles to emphasize upper body a bit. It does work, I can definitely feel my upper body moreso after hiking.

You might also want to consider poles with interchangeable tips and baskets.
Smokes up man, be carful out there.

....Love that old Elinox AreBeeBee. I also love a saw on a SAK and won't carry one without a saw when in the woods.(GAK or Hercules)...

Thanks, Mykel —

Somewhat OT on the Elinox Lumberjack — To the extent I can reconstruct my thinking back when buying it in the 1970s, the following were factors: backpacking usage, cheap to buy, freeze-dry food so no cans to open, no weight taken up with tools I didn't think I'd need on the trail, and cheap, cheap, cheap. The tool set looks a wee skimpy now, but it was adequate at the time and that saw did get used, as I noted.

Has anyone checked out the new Victorinox Walker? Large blade, saw, and combo tool, looks real handy.

Did you get one? Is it the same frame size as a Camper or Climber, or smaller?

Last edited:
I think I might end up getting one, I was worried it was smaller like the Recruit.

Back