Hiking sticks?

God Bless your Grand Daughter. That touched my heart. I will keep her in my prayers. - douglas

The new Vic Walker? That's a resurrection of the Lumberjack (at least mine, with the cap lifter), and the addition of toothpick & tweezers. Neat and minimal.

<peevish rant begins> One thing I could do without on SAKs in general is the little pierced ear for the keychain loop. I never use a knife on a keychain, and with knives of this size, that ear digs deep into my palm, hitting a pressure point when I'm cutting with the main blade. I always have to file them off, so I really wish Vic would find a way to put those ears on outer end of the frame. <end rant>

this website is quite busy - hard to see what is what. What types of knives do you sell sir

I've never walked with them but I have turned a stick or two into them for fun, some handle wraps and things, be interested to find out what your conclusions are on what's best

Buying new poles or staffs isn't in the cards atm so I'm just going to stick with the sticks I have for now Peter.;)

I found a cool park close by to hike around in a couple of weeks ago.
I'm heading out in a bit and will post pics when I get back later.
Hopefully the damn friggin' pain in the ass changeover will be complete soon.
See ya on the other side...

So...I found a place where people were kicked out of their homes, and the homes demolished because they would be in the flight path of planes using the new third runway at SeaTac Airport.
The powers that be took the land and put in playing fields for baseball, football, basketball, tennis, a skate board park, a small BMX track and even an RC Car track.Pretty cool.

The best part is they left an area 4 blocks long by 3 blocks wide to go wild.
All that remains is the roads and they are disappearing due to the encroaching fauna and deterioration.
There are trails throughout the area where the homes were.
It's a kind of a bowl shaped area with plenty of up and down walking for a good workout.:thumbup:

The mounds on the left are mulch from chipping of branches left by the parks dept.
DSCN0980.jpg

DSCN0994.jpg

DSCN1004.jpg

Some spots are overrun with ivy and remnants of sidewalks can still be found here and there.
DSCN0981.jpg

DSCN0989.jpg

DSCN0995.jpg

The one down side is the noisy jets flying over.:thumbdn:

DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

I had my JK Tin Knife on me today.

183e671f-e456-4960-bf8e-27b08ff51607.jpg

Oh yeah, this thread is about hiking sticks isn't it?
Well, I haven't gotten any hiking staffs yet so I just use my cane for now and only really need it for going up hill and when I start getting tired.

Unfortunately I can't start fires out there.
Dang it!:rolleyes:

So, I can walk, but walk better with my hands gripping something like the bar on a treadmill or the handle of a shopping cart to steady my body and that got me to thinking about getting some of those newfangled hiking poles for my upcoming walking regimen around the neighborhood and hopefully hiking in the hills.

Maybe I'd be just as well off with a couple of homemade hiking staffs I have on hand or old ski poles from goodwill.

Experiences and or opinions welcome thank you.

I looked around quite a bit when I was picking a staff. I hike with my service dog now but I need something on the other side when the going gets a bit rough.

I ended up with a heavy duty oak staff from Brazos. I added a ferrule to the bottom so I can change from a cross country spike to a hard surface rubber tip as needed. It's worked well for the year that I've had it. I have a cane as well, but for cross country or rough terrain, the longer size of the staff gives me more hand positions than a cane would. I also like the thicker body of the staff compared to hiking poles, which tend to be thinner and less useful for me.

So...I found a place where people were kicked out of their homes, and the homes demolished because they would be in the flight path of planes using the new third runway at SeaTac Airport.
The powers that be took the land and put in playing fields for baseball, football, basketball, tennis, a skate board park, a small BMX track and even an RC Car track.Pretty cool.

The best part is they left an area 4 blocks long by 3 blocks wide to go wild.
All that remains is the roads and they are disappearing due to the encroaching fauna and deterioration.
There are trails throughout the area where the homes were.
It's a kind of a bowl shaped area with plenty of up and down walking for a good workout.:thumbup:

The mounds on the left are mulch from chipping of branches left by the parks dept.
DSCN0980.jpg

DSCN0994.jpg

DSCN1004.jpg

Some spots are overrun with ivy and remnants of sidewalks can still be found here and there.
DSCN0981.jpg

DSCN0989.jpg

DSCN0995.jpg

The one down side is the noisy jets flying over.:thumbdn:

DSCN1005.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

I had my JK Tin Knife on me today.

183e671f-e456-4960-bf8e-27b08ff51607.jpg

Oh yeah, this thread is about hiking sticks isn't it?
Well, I haven't gotten any hiking staffs yet so I just use my cane for now and only really need it for going up hill and when I start getting tired.

Unfortunately I can't start fires out there.
Dang it!:rolleyes:

Looks like a cool place. I'm sorry that people lost there homes (hopefully they were well compensated), but I'm glad the area was "repurposed" for outdoor recreation. I love seeing the "wild" move back in and it's cool to see the roads and sidewalks disappear.

Thanks for taking us along.

Well boys, I decided to go have a look at some local thrift shops the other day and the second one I walked into had a set of trekking poles on a display table up front with some other outdoorsy stuff and naturally I snagged them.($7.00 + tax)
They're cheap (Odysseys with hard to manipulate twist locks), but man it really makes a difference having two poles.
With the cane alone I limp, but with the two poles my stride is more natural and I strain way less with them.:)
And yup, to my surprise, the straps do help too.:thumbsup:

I was out yesterday and got caught in a downpour and took refuge under a couple of big Pines with the remnants of a cement wall under em.
I just sat there listening to the rain fall and thinking how lucky I was to be able to get out there instead of sitting on my ass in the Apartment.:cool:
Unfortunately I can't have a fire out there so no pics for Jeff's fire thread.:thumbsdown::(
Oh and I've also started wearing/carrying a day pack to get my shoulders used to it for when I hit the hills.:thumbsup:
I doubt I'll ever be able to afford anything from REI or the likes, but the el cheepos at least help me walk more naturally and with less strain on my legs and hips.Yippie!

Heigh ho, heigh ho, a hiking I will go...

Looks like a cool place. I'm sorry that people lost there homes (hopefully they were well compensated), but I'm glad the area was "repurposed" for outdoor recreation. I love seeing the "wild" move back in and it's cool to see the roads and sidewalks disappear.

Thanks for taking us along.
Yeah Chris, it's a shame but at least they made use of the land in a way that benefits the community.:thumbsup:

Glad you found a set of poles. As a kid/teenager we made fun of people we saw hiking with them. Now, I don't want to go out for anything other than a "stroll" without them.

Back