Hold Out II query

I received a Hold Out II today, CTS XHP, black blade, OD green scales.
It didn't come with an extra pocket clip.

The last Cold Steel folders I bought did.
A clip-point recon 1 and an XL vaquerro.

Should there have been a left hand pocket clip, please?

You're welcome. I'm pretty sure I thought the same thing when I got my first Hold Out. Hopefully we're not alone in having this Homer moment.

Enjoy the OD DLC combo, have the same and it's great.

Yep, if the clip is curved, you get one for each side. If it's straight, you just get the one. Not to worry. I have moments like this more and more often as I get older. :D:thumbsup:

Thank you both.

Yes enjoying the knife, working on my mums new house at the mo so it will get a good workout next few days. Very expensive purchase for me in the UK but I wanted to try out the steel and the OD/DLC is not a common combo.
Folders of this size and style tend to be travel knives for me being usually one of the only tools I carry when away or out of the country.
I like the lightness and the minimal design, surprised by how grippy it is. I tend to like handles with a guard. Shall have to be mindful of this one.

Thank you both.

Yes enjoying the knife, working on my mums new house at the mo so it will get a good workout next few days. Very expensive purchase for me in the UK but I wanted to try out the steel and the OD/DLC is not a common combo.
Folders of this size and style tend to be travel knives for me being usually one of the only tools I carry when away or out of the country.
I like the lightness and the minimal design, surprised by how grippy it is. I tend to like handles with a guard. Shall have to be mindful of this one.

I also got the OD Green special edition at an exorbitant price (what we have to pay in Europe, indeed :thumbsdown:) and I can tell you it's an awesome folder

Don't worry about the absent guard, that G10 won't let your hand go anywhere, the coating is extremely tough and the steel takes a wicked edge in no time.
Now that they are discontinued I'm having a hard time finding them, whether it's a Tan limited edition or a normal Hold Out by itself, prices here are crazy and most people won't ship to Europe... :(

Curious as to the difference in G10 thickness between the AUS and CTS bladed models. Any direct side-by-side measurement info would be appreciated.

Still can t believe the popularity of the knife faded and allowed the knife to be discontinued after 5 years production.

Still can t believe the popularity of the knife faded and allowed the knife to be discontinued after 5 years production.

I think a smaller Frenzy with a true wharncliffe blade would be a good replacement for the Hold Out 2.

Curious as to the difference in G10 thickness between the AUS and CTS bladed models. Any direct side-by-side measurement info would be appreciated.

I measure 10.2mm on the OD green XHP version and 11.9 on the black AUS-8 version. Love 'em both.

The XHP scales are a bit thin if you're making a hard cut. I do prefer the smoother texture though.

Well yes and no on this end. I have the large and XL versions. What's that, the 1 and 2 ? While I really like them for what they are. They do seem to fall toward the stabby/slicey niche end of the spectrum. For what they are, they are superb. As a practical EDC, well..........yes and no, particularly if ones orientation of use is primarily outdoors. Despite the picking fly sh.. out of pepper, it's still a great knife. Nice grab OP.

Well yes and no on this end. I have the large and XL versions. What's that, the 1 and 2 ? While I really like them for what they are. They do seem to fall toward the stabby/slicey niche end of the spectrum. For what they are, they are superb. As a practical EDC, well..........yes and no, particularly if ones orientation of use is primarily outdoors. Despite the picking fly sh.. out of pepper, it's still a great knife. Nice grab OP.
The handle ergonomics aren t as good as some other popular models that Cold Steel makes but the knife is light, strong and slices amazingly well. I edc mine for indoor use and outdoor work. The tip seems delicate but has been plenty strong in my use.

Agreed. Great, great knife !
I have a #III (small one) and the #1 (largest). I love these things.
One thing I have to be careful of is thinking I am putting my thumb down on the back of the blade where the jimping like cutouts are and actually putting my thumb down on the edge because I have the knife upside down. There isn't much of a clue as far as how the handle feels in hand.
I have trained myself to look before I jump but I still fear this is a possibility.

Have a great time with your new Hold Out !

Back