Home-made, from a few years ago

Back when I was making things, before I started spending all my spare time, and more, on the Internet, I learned to do a passable hollow grind and tapered tang. Some other "practice" blades ain't going out in public, but this one I like. 3/32" ATS34, 2-tone linen-phenolic that we'd call Micarta, except Koval got it from some source that doesn't own the trademark. Surface irregularities come from use.

<A HREF="http://www.chaicutlery.com/mattis-homemade/learningtohollowgrind.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
learningtohollowgrind-medium.jpg
</A>

The layered handle material comes out looking good if you contour the handle.

The compound pins are home-made. I forget exactly what diameter some of the elements are. There are now good compound pins made by Barry Posner available through a number of knifemaking supply sources.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 08-06-2000).]

Hey James,

That knife is something to be proud of! I think every knife knut aspires to making at least a few knives at some point. I know I've collected for a while now and really enjoy using a fine handmade knife so naturally I've thought about trying my hand at it. I hope some of my early ones come out as good as yours. Good choice on the colorful micarta and decorative pins! If you're going to do it, do it right huh?

------------------
-------------------------
Marine Sniper Motto:
There's no use Running, you'll only Die Tired!

Nice work James. I love the blade grind and the mosaic pins as well as the overall design.

Back