Homemade Kydex Press

In regards to the homemade forming press that is commonly used with the sleeping bag dense foam roll: Is there another material that can yield similar results. A second best, or alternative? I'm hoping there may be somethin around my house, and I usually just sleep on the hard cold ground when camping, so I have no roll....

Most foams can be used and i think i have seen people use towels, but I am sure an expert on the subject will chime in at any minute.

Well, the common yellow bone shaped carwash sponge didn't work too well. Haha but the heat gun cleaned it up a little. I think I'll try a couple layers of that " door weather stripping stuff".

For all that trouble just go to Wally World and get a blue pad. I think they're under $10.

I use the foam sold by knifekits and texasknife. Superior foam and well worth the $$. I easly get 500 sheaths out of a set.

Agreed. The sheath-making foam from knifekits is great. Totally worth the money with the quality mold you end up with. However, you can get more of it, and cheaper (considering) when you buy it from a place like this: http://www.foamforyou.com/neoprene.htm (Go for the 1" thick stuff)

Agreed. The sheath-making foam from knifekits is great. Totally worth the money with the quality mold you end up with. However, you can get more of it, and cheaper (considering) when you buy it from a place like this: http://www.foamforyou.com/neoprene.htm (Go for the 1" thick stuff)

Good to know. I still haven't tried the KK foam, but I may pick some up at some point. I do wonder how well it would hold up for me. I've seen people talk about hundreds of sheaths from a set, but I've also heard people say they've went years on a set of EVA sheets or got dozens from the camping foam. The camping foam is single use for me and even EVA is maybe 2 uses, depending on thinness of the initial knife.

As for the OP, and speaking of EVA, if you have kids or you or someone in your house does yoga or such, those puzzle mats that are used for kids' rooms and exercising are EVA and work very well. Most foam kids' toys are as well. Needs a harder press than the camping foam though.

Camping foam does ok. I've done about two dozen out of the foam I have right now, plus a couple of small holsters. I think I could get another dozen out of it. My press is 1'x2', and I have 3 layers (I think?) of foam on the top and bottom.

I use the foam sold by knifekits and texasknife. Superior foam and well worth the $$. I easly get 500 sheaths out of a set.

Thats afirm!!! only way to go!!!
but yes, you can use other materials to start out!

A spare bathroom towel worked out well enough. My kids do have a puzzle foam mat thing I may get around to trying. Thanks to everyone for the good resources and other good idears!

Back