Honk If You Like Old Knives!

Ca. 1919, Winchester bought out Napanoch cutlery, and moved most of the machinery and cutlers to their new location. Some of the old employees of Napanoch quit in 1920 or so, and formed Honk Falls Cutlery in the old Napanoch location by 1921.
In 1929, Honk Falls burned down!! - That's why the knives are so rare!
Here is one of the last knives to leave Honk Falls Cutlery! After the fire was put out, this knife was found in the debris. It was complete, but had not received its final honing! So close, yet so far away. 3 5/8" long with saber-grind clip, and pen blades, you can still see and feel the exquisite finishing, snappy blades, flush springs - this was to be a knife to be proud of!!
A fine Honk, never to be used!

Honk Relic 1.jpg Honk Relic 2.jpg Honk Relic 3.jpg

WOW!
That is incredible and that knife truly deserves the Title
" Survivor of the Honk Fall Flames"
Just a glimpse tells you that this knife is from the good old days of amazing Cutlery.

I will bring it to the Rendezvous, Duncan! It's pretty amazing to see!!

Beautiful knives, Charlie!:thumbsup::thumbsup: Very kind of Dale to let go of the first. The bone on the second is in very good condition, considering it survived a fire.
Dan

Charlie those are two stunning examples, the lines on that trapper, especially the curve of the clip, are just perfect. I'm about half an hour from Honk Falls and Napanoch. Nothing left of the factory buildings or their neighbors any more, but still a LOT of history up that way. I often wonder how many Honk Falls and Napanoch knives are hidden away as family heirlooms. Every so often one or two show up at historic talks or local hunting club fundraisers, mementos of an old relative who used to work at the factory.

Eric

I just found out that Honk Falls produced knives after the fire, possibly until 1939. I am looking into it. Any info or links would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie, I recall hearing that one of the principals from the company continued the operation in a barn or outbuilding somewhere in Napanoch. Not sure how many people were involved or to what extent they could fabricate parts.

Eric

Last edited:
Charlie, I recall hearing that one of the principals from the company continued the operation in a barn or outbuilding somewhere in Napanoch. Not sure how many people were involved or to what exrltent they could fabricate parts.

Eric
Bears further investigation! Never say die!!
Thanks Eric!!
It's happened more than once that grizzled old cutlers have carried on a tradition in a garage, or shack or other hovel!
Still waiting for someone I know to do the same!!:rolleyes:
Ahem . . . . . . . . . . .:D

Triple dog dare honk honk! (Just like the way that sounds). Wonderful and historic folders Charlie:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I found this for what it is worth http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/articles/409-01.pdf

At about the same time, two Carman brothers, trained by Dwight Divine, joined with W.D. Hoornbeek to form a rival company, Napanoch Knife Company, and began manufacturing knives in the old DuVall rake factory on National Street. In 1919, the factory was sold to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company of Connecticut. Many of the workmen moved to Connecticut.

Within two years, some of the veteran employees returned to Napanoch. John Cushner was one of them. He associated himself with Melvin Schoonmaker and Melvin Quick, both skilled knife makers, and George Brackley, who brought good business experience to the group and formed the Honk Falls Knife Company, setting up (again) in the old DuVall rake factory building. They were very successful and produced well-accepted knives, but a 1929 fire destroyed the building and its contents.

John Cushner had the heart to keep on trying and opened a small factory in the barn behind his home, operating as Napanoch Knife Company.

A catalogue of Napanoch knives published by collector Rhett Stidham some 30 years ago listed over 80 designs, praised by Stidham as “The Napanoch knives were and still are recognized as the best that can be made...” John Cushner was killed on Route 209 in 1938. His wife, daughters, and loyal workmen continued the company un- til all orders were filled. The factory was then discontin- ued and the machinery and stock sold.

Lloyd

Good looking rare old knives, Waynorth.
Sadly, more than a couple knife factories burned down in the 1800s and early 1900s.

I remember that article, but forgot just how many factories were afflicted by fire, thanks for the link.

My grandfather passed down a old Honk new york knife. Not able to add photo but I'd really like information on the knife

Back