Hori Hori?

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
Who makes the best Hori Hori (Japanese digging knife)? So far the best I've come across is the modern one by Zenport. Thoughts? Suggestions?:)

Lee Valley sells Hori-hori knives. You can search for them on their website. They are made in Japan and can be purchased in either carbon or stainless steel. I don't want to deal-spot, so I won't provide the direct link, but it should be easy to find.

From the Lee Valley site:

A cross between a knife and a trowel, this tool is useful for many tasks such as planting, transplanting, grubbing, removing roots or deep-rooted weeds, dividing perennials, etc. Traditionally used in Japan to collect specimens for bonsai (hori means "digging"), the knife has a heavy steel blade that is dished, with a serrated edge on one side and a sharpened edge on the other.
Hardwood handle. Available with either a carbon-steel blade or a rust-resistant stainless-steel blade. The stainless knife has graduations and an extra-sharp blade. Each comes with a belt sheath and is approximately 12" overall.

I have used one of these, and was happy with the performance.

All the best,

- Mike

Do a Google search for "Japanese woodworking" and go to the gardening section. They have these -
11.165.jpg

Hope this helps....

Andy

Hey 42B,

Here's mine:

HoriHoriknife.jpg

I got mine, recently, at Lee Valley and I really like it. I originally was going to buy a Becker TacTool for foraging, but I find this does the job very well.

Perhaps a more interesting picture:

Leeksreadytocomehomewithme.jpg

Do you have a link for the one at Zenport?

Doc

I have one of the A.M. Leonard soil knives. It has an orange handle and stainless blade. I've used it to cut out pond lily root masses to repot. You have to have something tough to saw through those roots, I used to use a bread knife and snapped off the blade.

Here's a link, although I think I found a seller on Amazon.

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?

The A.M. Leonard one is the Zenport one I mentioned in my original post. How has it done for you?

As much as I like the Zenbori Soil Knife, that's a rules violation there. :thumbdn:;)

Yep.... I am aware there are a lot of them out there after doing some research. He wanted a custom.

I love it! Personally I wouldn't have done the serration like a saw, since digging in dirt will just dull it down super fast and having it ground on just one side means that you can touch it up with a file faster. Digging serrations are a little different in concept than knife serrations. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing!

I love it! Personally I wouldn't have done the serration like a saw, since digging in dirt will just dull it down super fast and having it ground on just one side means that you can touch it up with a file faster. Digging serrations are a little different in concept than knife serrations. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing!

Thanks! I was concerned about the saw teeth on a digging blade. I plan on making a 10" version, I will change the teeth and the grind a little bit. What configuration of teeth would you recommend for a digging tool?

What a coincidence. I just spotted a used one at a thrift store and didnt know what it was. Ill have to take a closer look.

Thanks! I was concerned about the saw teeth on a digging blade. I plan on making a 10" version, I will change the teeth and the grind a little bit. What configuration of teeth would you recommend for a digging tool?

Like this. :)

CIMG9800.jpg

The interior of the serration isn't sharpened--it's left as-cut so it's really the forward points of the serrations that do the cutting. Does a great job and doesn't dull quickly. Also, sharp for a digging tool is dull for a knife. A thin bevel is more important than a fine edge, as an edge will just dull the first time you jam it in the dirt. A thin bevel will continue to cut dirt and roots without failing. :)

Or it could if it was hollowed on one side. I think it would do rather poorly as-is.

I"ve used mine in the past week for dandelions. It may not be the "ideal" but it's proving to do the job.

"The spearhead dagger digging trowel. A large dagger shaped spearhead made of steel is indeed a versatile instrument. This primitive device can be used as a large knife for hacking through rope or tree limbs, for chopping firewood kindling, or as an expedient pry bar or digging trowel. In a situation of desperate survival, it could be used on the end of a pole as a spearhead for stabbing at large, dangerous animal for meat or as an effective close range weapon. "

James Ballou, More Makedshift Workshop skills

Hey 42B,

Here's mine:

HoriHoriknife.jpg

I got mine, recently, at Lee Valley and I really like it. I originally was going to buy a Becker TacTool for foraging, but I find this does the job very well.

Perhaps a more interesting picture:

Leeksreadytocomehomewithme.jpg

Doc
Doc i'm thinking of gifting a relative a Lee Valley Hori Hori for Christmas but we don't have a Lee Valley here so its going to be mail order and i can't personally paw the two versions they have. What did you think of the stainless version? For myself i'd prefer the carbon steel but this relative might be better served by the lower maintenance stainless. My only qualm is the stainless version lacks the guards present on the CS version. Doc, or anyone with experience, feel free to offer opinions on this.

I used the black Hori Hori from Lee Valley intensively for several years. Never bent or broke it. I use a Lesche digger now though.

Back