Hornswoggled!

Horns%201_zpsaxwuho7n.jpg

Horn%20prune%201_zpsr2ahuaow.jpg

Just had to bring these Beauties over to the second page!! :D

Dave

Not a great picture but here is an old 84mm SAK tourist in buffalo horn, next time I'm at my collection I'll grab a better picture.
29nilhy.png

Killer collection Dave!! With tang stamps I've never seen before!
Thanks to you for persisting with PB!! (and to Photobucket for diegning* to allow you to post the pics!!)

*deign;
to condescend reluctantly and with a strong sense of the affront to one's superiority!
sigh!!:cool:

Thank you Jack and Charlie!!
I was lucky to acquire these a few years back!

Dave

A couple that belong here! ;)
DSC01004.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

DSC01008.jpg

DSC00997.jpg

Dave

I love the diversity in the horn on those knives shown already. Here is an older pic of some of my horn, all buffalo horn in this shot.

A bunch of beauties shown here... I am going to have to start doing some looking but horn and lambsfoot in particular might have to be part of my near future. Thanks for sharing guys.

D3HxCjh.jpg

cZgyna5.jpg

This project (the two knives above) got me playing with buffalo leather too.

Three elk handled bowies. The sheaths are water buffalo leather, the frogs are water buffalo tanned a different way and the accent shields on the sheaths are American Bison.

EDkQ3ok.jpg

Thanks again, Dave G!!:thumbsup:
Beautiful work, Dave F!!:thumbsup:
A wonderful old Beauty, Steve!!:thumbsup:

Charlie- outstanding Knives- all of them - But that JR !! Wow! beautiful!

Augie....I have always like the Buck 110 for a backpocket- Jacket Pocket Carry- and that Rama Horn is Spectacular- I do hear that even when wet that the Rams Horn really sticks to the hand and doesnt slip around. - What a neat Knife my friend!

Dave ( Knowtracks) - What Charlie said.... What beuaties- and what awesome Tang Stamps and Blade Stampings/etchings- I cant get enough of the early English / American heavy stamping. Fantastic examples my friend- a real pleasure to view!

S-K as always mate, splendid example!

Great looking knives everyone. This is a French pruning knife circa early 1900s.

P10501603_zps0de79fbb.jpg

P10501633_zpse4219cd3.jpg
This one quietly says a lot about the durability of horn as a handle material. It has seen good honest work, but looks ready to get back to it! Impressive material as someone's daily user on a farm, especially considering it is bolsterless. Great stuff, SK! Given the title of the thread (thanks Waynorth!), it is interesting to get a chance to see examples of both the durability as well as the beauty this classic material. Great to see!

Question/ challenge-
Whats the rarest type of horn used on a knife? Obviously not cow or ram, nor buffalo(which is essentially a cow with attitude).
The Bison (American Buffalo) perhaps or something rarer-Antler doesn't count because its not horn.
Goat?
A specific species of wild sheep or goat- eg Ibex or Barbary sheep?
must be something out there.
Unicorn horn is the rarest. I have never seen even one yet. :p

My favorites are cape buffalo horn, and musk ox horn (which is on the knife in my avatar).

Back