How are the knife laws in your state

I don't mind the laws around Cambridge Ohio, I should talk to one of the cops I know about the city laws around here. The only real Ohio laws are that you can't carry ballistic knives, and no concealment of deadly weapons. I think that the definition of deadly weapon is stupid though, it is "any object that can be used to kill someone". By that logic, i can't hide my hands.

Nice to have knife-friendly cops, as you may never get arrested. But as to the actual state law, the Ohio Supreme Court said in State v. Anderson, that to convict a defendant of carrying a concealed deadly weapon, the state must prove that the instrument is capable of inflicting death [think razor blade] and that it is either designed or adapted for use as a weapon or that it is being carried as a weapon. Which is why Cold Steel's advertising - among other's - is so "helpful" for its customers in Ohio. :rolleyes:

Alabama knife laws are great! If it fits the pocket, any folder is legal to carry concealed. Open carry of fixed blades is legal. Concealed carry licenses are issued by county sheriffs, are straightforward and easy to get, but unfortunately are called "Pistol License" and only cover concealed pistols. I keep my Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum at home and carry a 4" CS Voyager. The GP100 is too big for effective concealment, even with my DeSantis pancake holster.

What exactly is considered open carry does a pocket clip count? Thanks

Connecticut isn't too bad, can conceal any knife that's less than 4" sharpened and not an auto or dagger. Luckily the local cops actually know the knife laws, the couple times I've been searched, they didn't care about my ZT0566 or Buck 616. And in case any was wondering, no I didn't do anything wrong, I did a couple ride a longs and forgot I had the blades on me.

In GA, any kind of knife with a 5" or smaller blade. Anything larger requires a concealed carry permit. Automatic knives are legal. Local laws may not supersede state laws, except regarding schools and gummint buildings.

Having lived in NY, NJ, and MA, I like being able to carry around a fixed blade on my belt without issue.

Yee haw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connecticut isn't too bad, can conceal any knife that's less than 4" sharpened and not an auto or dagger. Luckily the local cops actually know the knife laws, the couple times I've been searched, they didn't care about my ZT0566 or Buck 616. And in case any was wondering, no I didn't do anything wrong, I did a couple ride a longs and forgot I had the blades on me.

Yes, for EDC, Connecticut is pretty friendly. Only kindof annoying thing is you can't OPEN carry anything with an edged portion over 4" either, unless you are either actually hunting, trapping or fishing (and licensed to do so.) So, no >4" camp, bushcraft or hiking knives.

In GA, any kind of knife with a 5" or smaller blade. Anything larger requires a concealed carry permit. Automatic knives are legal. Local laws may not supersede state laws, except regarding schools and gummint buildings.

Having lived in NY, NJ, and MA, I like being able to carry around a fixed blade on my belt without issue.

Yee haw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the definition of a knife from GA law: "Weapon” means a knife or handgun. “Knife” means a cutting instrument designed for the purpose of offense and defense consisting of a blade that is greater than five inches in length which is fastened to a handle.

So if my Condor Kumunga with a 10" blade was not designed for the purpose of offense and defense, can I carry it without a GA weapons permit? They call it a camp knife on Amazon. Are cutting instruments with blades 5" or less not knives?

In Indiana, wedged between two harshly legislated/regulated states, knife laws are reasonable and simple. No ballistic knives, no throwing stars. No restriction on blade length or carry. You may not carry on school property according to laws, but I work for my local school and am provided with a knife, I use my benchmade 940 instead and no one minds. Regarding guns or knives in Indiana, there is no such thing as concealed carry. Just "carry" open or concealed is allo

NY is terrible. NYC even worse.
Hopefully knife rights can get some things changed around here.

In Indiana, wedged between two harshly legislated/regulated states, knife laws are reasonable and simple. No ballistic knives, no throwing stars. No restriction on blade length or carry. You may not carry on school property according to laws, but I work for my local school and am provided with a knife, I use my benchmade 940 instead and no one minds. Regarding guns or knives in Indiana, there is no such thing as concealed carry. Just "carry" open or concealed is allo

So, Indiana doesn't have a concealed carry permit?

How about Hawaii? Anyone know about Hawaii law?

Last edited:
I love the knife laws, or lack thereof, in South Dakota. All knives (including autos, balis and ballistics) are legal to own and carry, concealed or open. Having the answer to the question of whether a particular knife is legal always be yes does greatly simplify things and allows us to buy and enjoy anything that piques our interest. I hope that you knife guys and gals that live places where the laws are more restrictive and complicated are able to get them closer to the freedom in the knife hobby that we enjoy here.

I live in Canada and our knife laws arent bad but some make no sense. We aren't allowed autos and butterflies, and for EDC we can only carry it as a tool. Idk why they don't allow autos b/c most manuals can be opened as fast as an auto. As far as balisong knives, im lost as to why they are illegal

Its been covered here many times. Short version is: Canada's legal system is based on intent. The "what" is less important than the intent. However due to a perception that automatics and balis are more intimidating, the only reason to carry one is to intimidate, which is a crime. Carry for self defense is a crime, since you are pre-meditiating harm to someone else. The upside is that apart from a few exceptions, you can carry anything you can justify. Now I might have some of that not quite right, but its how I understand it. The complexity comes in when it comes to defining some of the things, but that's not new, anyone who has a job or hobby that has a law involved knows that despite anyone's best efforts, there are always definitions that don't line up between the legal wording and common usage. Slung-shots and "sheath knives" but to name a couple.

I live in Missouri and the are pretty good.

However, I visit and pass through Chicago, IL a few times a year and they have a 2.5" law. Considering 99% of decent mini pocket knives seem to fall in the 2.6"-3.00" range its absolutely ridiculous. My Ritter Mini is .38" too long to be considered legal. I swear that IL (and I'm guessing Chicago is 99% of the push for annoying IL laws) has a simple 1st step when designing new laws which is "What can be we do make this law piss off 75% of people." Such as lets do a CCW but make our training enough where we don't have to recognize any other states CCW. Lets make a pocket knife law and make it a size that is small enough that 75% of knives people already own and would carry are not covered so everyone has to go out and buy super small little knives that are 1/2" shorter or just not carry a knife..... End rant.

If I went down any more often I would almost consider picking up an extra Ritter Mini and having a new grind done to shorten the blade to 2.5". I should probably just pickup a middle/low end Spyderco or Kershaw thats 2.5" or less..... Of course I just leave my knife at home instead. Which is frustrating as I use it to cut tags, open bags, cut fruit, etc... My girls know my knife as "Daddy's apple cutting knife". I'm sure my 2.78" blade is so much more dangerous than those 2.5" Chicago legal blades. So stupid and I don't want to take the risk of some angry cop having a bad day seeing me in my STL Cardinals hat with my family and see a clip on my pocket and wanting to ruin my day by measuring the blade length and I would end up getting in trouble for .38".

Last edited:
Washington & Oregon must be liberal about knives, I really dunno.. I just go about my business, Never bothered to know either way.
I belt carry a fixedblade everyday, have done for 40ish years. Plenty of people see it, sometimes they ask something about it. Obviously I dont do stupid stuff with it, Only once left behind when I visited Courthouse to get married.

I grew up in TX, but have lived in KS a long time. KS is a constitutional carry state, it also has great knife laws. As a retired peace officer with a LEOSA permit, I can carry anywhere an active officer can. I carry a 4" SOG quick open knife, plus a S&W .45 pistol.

Back