How do you use your thumbstud or hole?

Do you push your thumbstud or hole hard with a snap to make the blade "flick" open quickly, or do you ride the blade open slowly the whole way?

The reason I ask is because I can't "flick" my new Spyderco Native with the hole (first knife with a hole) like I have always done with thumbstuds. Have I been doing it wrong?

I used to like them flickable but now I prefer them to have enough tension as not to open from bumping or knocking, etc. I find tip-up carry when very loosened is potentially dangerous as I have had a couple open up a bit exposing the tip while in pocket. Lucky enough to not have punctured leg but have opened up the hand once or twice reaching in.

I think it might be because the native is a lockback. The spring tensioned locking bar puts more resistance on the blade versus a liner/frame/axis etc lock

Some knives you can't help but flick open because of the strength of the ball-detent. So no, you haven't been wrong. Also, I don't consider that flicking open your knife since you're not really opening it as hard as you would if you did a full arm flick.

yeah my native doesnt really flick well....but my minigrip flicks insanely easy.
and yah, with tip up carry, ive had the knife open slightly when i was reaching into my pocket....not good

You can flick a Native open.. try using your wrist more to flick the blade open. I can't do it with just a push on the hole either.

to open my edc smf i put the tip of my pointer finger and thumb into the hole and flick as with a booger :D the action on striders are tight (but smooth) and this method gets the blade out quickly... i suspect it would work with any other "holed" blade.

I usually ride it to full open.

I also do the wrist flip thing without touching the opener (though its too showy for some "people").

It could be a size thing. Ive found that smaller holes and/or knives to be more difficult to flick open with the thumb movement/wrist twitch.

The only way I could do the wrist flick thing is when opening the knife downwards into a stabbing position. Usually I just use the thumbstud to flick the blade open into the normal position, except for my CRKT M16's that have the stud on the back for your index finger to pull, which I personally think is the greatest thing since sliced bread :p

On this great new Buck/Strider 889 I just bought (is it called a SMF or similar?), that is rapidly becoming my EDC blade, I can either flick it open using the tumb-stud or put the tip of my finger in the whole and er..."bogey-flick" it! (WE have bogeys! NOT boogers! :barf: LOL)
The weight of the blade carries it out with a resounding & reassuring flick.

Must admit NONE of my folders have beaten my Kershaw liner-lock for speed, though. It feels cheap n nasty, but the plastic thumb-stud flicks it open almost as fast as an automatic.

"How do you use your thumbstud or hole?" :confused:

You mean do I do naughty things with them? Isn't that a bit private?:D

Sorry I couldnt resist!:p

orthogonal1 said:
It could be a size thing. Ive found that smaller holes and/or knives to be more difficult to flick open with the thumb movement/wrist twitch.

I was going to say the same thing. I know I just can't flick open the Native because the Spyder hole is just too damn little. I really don't like that. Although I'm sure I'll still buy one sometime in the future. Too good a price at the ol' local Wally World.

I can flick most of my Spydercos without moving my wrist at all, which is pretty cool and I love doing it. It's more difficult however with the smaller ones. I open them with the pad of my thumb in the normal way often too. I find thumbstuds to be the easiest to flick, but I don't like them much otherwise.

I put the tip of my thumb in the hole or against the thumb stud and push it open about a quarter of the way and then snap my wrist. Works even with the Native. The hardest to get to work is the Commander.

Count me in the steady-as-she-goes category. I never saw a reason to flick it as even the so-called slow method isn't so slow. It is a continuous and seamless movement which will have the blade ready for the task at hand in approximately one second. Why would you need to open it any quicker?

rnhood said:
Count me in the steady-as-she-goes category. I never saw a reason to flick it as even the so-called slow method isn't so slow. It is a continuous and seamless movement which will have the blade ready for the task at hand in approximately one second. Why would you need to open it any quicker?
My main thing was that it's easier and less likely to mess up the opening by giving the stud a snap with your thumb (NOT flicking your wrist).

Back