How does the teflon washers hold up over time?

I'm looking at the TiSpine, and I see that it has teflon washers. I believe the SR1 and SR2 also have teflon washers.

Have anyone here owned and used one of those knives for a while? How have the washers held up over time?

Teflon is not great. and disassembly on those are not fun with nylon. so if you need to clean it, replace them or take apart to lube, your sure to want to pull your hair out.

https://youtu.be/xSdKRm5JTJQ
his review is also worth a watch

Hi. From my side, I have no issues with Teflon washers. In my personal experience they hold up fine. I own a few folders with these. The oldest ones I have, in a ER BF2, date back to 2008. The knife has been used rather extensively and completely disassembled at least 5 times. Never changed them, they don’t show heavy sign of wearing and preserve their functionality so far. Still I have to disassemble my Tispine but I understand the issue presented here :). It’s not very easy, probably, to reposition correctly the washers in a solid construction handle. Honestly, in this case, I don’t think the bronze washers would be very different :). The problem, looks to me, stands with the solid construction of the handle, rather than with washers type. Overall I’m OK with Teflon, very smooth action and sound enough for my type of EDCing.

I'm looking at the TiSpine, and I see that it has teflon washers. I believe the SR1 and SR2 also have teflon washers.

Have anyone here owned and used one of those knives for a while? How have the washers held up over time?

I just got my SR2, but I've used other knives with Teflon washers for extended periods and haven't ever had any issue. I very rarely take a knife apart though.

If you feel the need to take a knife apart to clean it once a week, you're bound to destroy them on an integral knife. I've had knives for years and never had to take them apart though. Only if they've been dropped in sand or something and it can't be worked out with a bit if lube. Not without causing damage anyway.

Washer type isn't a buying concern for me. Just something for whiners to whine about. If you like the TiSpine, get it.

Back