How I Paint Women ... WARNING PARTIAL NUDITY

Thanks to both of you for the positive feedback.
I am of course trying to improve with each image, keep them interesting and show a certain style and consistency to the work.

The actress of course is Sean Young, her character was Rachel, the movie is Blade Runner. The movie is just full of incredible images, and three iconic beauties. Rachel #1, Daryl Hannah as Pris #2 and lastly Joanna Cassidy as Zhora.

Off to find my next subject. I know who I want to do, I just need to find the right source photo.

Cute kid, amazing athlete.

SJ_gold.jpg

Great work1:thumbup:That kid is so damn cute & talented too.Personally I think she got robbed.She was the best one out there,no contest.At least she got the gold in the end.:thumbup:

I read that she wouldn't trade all her silver medals for a gold.Now that's good sportsmanship;)

Absolutely beautiful PhilL, Rachael was never more beautiful. You placed accent where it needs to be, I agree, your best yet!

By the way one of your works is now a guide for my barber for hair cuts before shows! Hangs next to her mirror!

By the way one of your works is now a guide for my barber for hair cuts before shows! Hangs next to her mirror!

Ed, since you're showing it in public anyway, may I post it here?
The thread could use some more knife content.

Thanks Ed.
If I just painted a cowboy hat with a Montana crease and a full beard most people here would think Ed Fowler. But, I wanted to do a portrait of Ed, that would not only have the hat and the beard, but would also capture part of his personality. I had a hard time finding a suitable photo to start from. I finally found one in Ed's Picturetrail album site.

328919323.jpg

Even after I was finished I really didn't know if I had a good likeness. I know it looked like what I thought Ed looked like, but I hadn't seen him in person for four years. If it wasn't for Tena's help I would have just been guessing.

It's been a while since I had anything I could add to this thread. Not that I haven't been busy with Photoshop, it's just that the painting work I've done is private for the moment.

Here's one that I've been thinking about for some time and just found the time to do.

pn5.jpg

Thank you Bruce, but compared to the many skill sets required to complete the Art you create, my work are doodles.

Thank you Bruce, but compared to the many skill sets required to complete the Art you create, my work are doodles.

My many skill sets require burnt fingers and carpel tunnel syndrome. I'm still envious of yours but thanks Phil.

That Fowler picture is my favorite, oh, except maybe for the girl with the nipple.

Phil I have just found this thread and what a treat:) Your work is beautiful. I love pin-up art and aircraft nose art and yours is as good as anything I have seen.The Sean Young is just so sultry:D.......Please post a few more when you can:thumbup:

Thanks Alfa,
I don't really get to do a lot of this type of work, and I really haven't done any of the Pin-up full body art that you mentioned. I do love the old Vargas type of airbrush pin-ups. I should really give one a try.

Have you seen how sultry and sexy Sean Young was in Blade Runner?

PhilL: Your art is as exquisite as any, it is your world as you see your vision you portray what catches your eye. That is art as good as it gets.

Thanks Alfa,
I don't really get to do a lot of this type of work, and I really haven't done any of the Pin-up full body art that you mentioned. I do love the old Vargas type of airbrush pin-ups. I should really give one a try.I look forward to seeing that bud.....;)

Have you seen how sultry and sexy Sean Young was in Blade Runner?
Alas I am old enough to have seen her on the big screen when Bladerunner was first released:foot::eek:

Feed the gal a cheeseburger PhilL!
;)

Nicely done.
You can always tell the rookie doing those...
They spend too much time & detail on the turkey timers.

Again nicely done.

Wally, I don’t know how to tell you this. But, I can give her a cheeseburger, but she’s not going to be able to eat it, she’s not real, she’s made of pixels....LOL

Here’s a little step by step on how I did this painting.

Starting with the original photograph, I do a rough sketch of the main features. I’m going to be using a black background so I used a yellow for the sketch.

nude-tut_1.jpg

With a soft round brush, using an Opacity of about 20% I start blocking in the main shapes of the highlights. Once the Base is down I do a second Layer adding more highlights. After each Layer I use a Gaussian Blur and adjust the Opacity of the layer. I use the Eraser tool where needed to clean up the shapes.

2nd page

With the sketch turned off the basic shapes of the body look like this.

nude_tut_2.jpg

With a soft round bush, again with the Opacity lowered to about 25% I start to add some shadows, under the chin and under the arm pit.

I don’t want to put too much time into this painting until I get the face and hair done.

With a finer brush at 100% opacity I add the lips, nostrils, eye lashes and eyebrows.
Reduce the opacity to about 10% with a soft round brush add some contours to the face. Shaping the nose, the eyes and cheeks. Adding a Gaussian Blur and adjusting the opacity on each layer.

3rd page

nude_tut_3.jpg

Continue adding shadows to shape the face. Then with a small soft round brush, with reduced opacity using white add some highlights to the nose, lips, eye lids, brows.
With a very small brush and black I draw in the teeth.

Finally, one of the most time consuming parts to an illustration like this is doing the hair. This is a complex hairdo with soft curls going in many different directions. The way I handled it was to start at the top, by her ear. With a soft round brush and white, I put dabs of white down. I then applied a Gaussian Blur. The with the Smudge tool selected and a fine brush I dragged through the white dabs. This gives the appearance of highlights on the hair and fine hairs. In the bottom pile of curls, using the same technique I make curls and swirls going in different directions on several separate layers. To finish off the hair, using a very fine brush, alternating between white and gray I add individual hairs where needed.

After the face and hair are done, I work in the same way on different details of the image. Highlights and shadows, building the image, working your way down, finer and finer.

Last edited:
Back