How many fishing rods do you own ?

?????? I'd have to go out to the garage, climb a ladder up to where they are stored overhead to count them. They've been up there 16 years since moving to this house. Been 35 years probably since any have been used. Once I buy something I usually keep it. Did give away the ice fishing gear back in the 80's. Working out in the cold on the railroad made me decide it wouldn't be enjoyable to play in the cold any longer. I can say it would be far fewer rods than knives. Maybe even fewer than guns. :rolleyes:

Dicks had combos on sale on Black Friday a few years back. They were on sale for $9.99 ( normally 24.99). I had a coupon for $10 off of $50. I bought six of them for $50...Those are my loaner set ups!

I only had one just a few weeks ago. Bought a cheap baitcast setup on a whim and now I have 5 and am waiting on a 6th. :cool:

Still have no idea of the number but it's now +1. I added a 9' Fenwick Silverhawk and Penn Spinnfisher to my saltwater arsenal. I wanted something with enough backbone to throw 1-1½ oz lures in the surf and not weigh me down doing it.

I haven't checked in for awhile. Good to see this thread still going...

Since I last posted I have added 7 more old Mitchell reels :D A guy opened a small tackle shop not far from home, and the wife found a box with 5 old Mitchell 300 reels in it. They were absolutely filthy, and the guy said he didn't think they worked but wasn't sure. So for $5 a piece I took them home for a project...
Cosmetically I could tell they were in nice condition. No rust and only a couple had some small paint chips. One is from the 50's and the others from the 60's.
The reel from the 50's is almost mint condition... So far I have totally dismantled three of them and gave them a thorough cleaning. two had slightly bent bails so they wouldn't actuate correctly, but after a little tuning they work flawlessly...

I also picked up a mint Mitchell 408 with the box and extra spools. It's the blue high speed version of the 308. This may be the coolest little reel I have ever owned. Also picked up a mint condition Mitchell 324. Now I need a couple more rods that don't have reels lol...

This thread makes me feel a lot better. I think my number is around 50, but I'm afraid to count precisely. I like plumberroy's take on things...

:D :cool:

I only had one just a few weeks ago. Bought a cheap baitcast setup on a whim and now I have 5 and am waiting on a 6th. :cool:

And so it begins :D

Still have no idea of the number but it's now +1. I added a 9' Fenwick Silverhawk and Penn Spinnfisher to my saltwater arsenal. I wanted something with enough backbone to throw 1-1½ oz lures in the surf and not weigh me down doing it.

Nice... That should be a great setup

dozen old ones some in working order some not. But 5 that I use normally. 2 LLbean 2000 angler series, a Bass Pro collapsible with a LLbean 1000 spinning reel that rides in my truck, fenwick Eagle medium heavy with LLbean 4000 small salt spinning reel and Berkley walmart special with a LLBean 4000 salt reel. LLBean stuff for me has been best bang for the buck. Angler series are 2 ball bearings, the others are all 10 and so far both have been super durable. most have braid either 20 or 30lbs and the others are running cajun line 12lb. caught all sorts of stuff with them from pan fish, bass and salt water species, mullet, blue, sm sharks etc.

dozen old ones some in working order some not. But 5 that I use normally. 2 LLbean 2000 angler series, a Bass Pro collapsible with a LLbean 1000 spinning reel that rides in my truck, fenwick Eagle medium heavy with LLbean 4000 small salt spinning reel and Berkley walmart special with a LLBean 4000 salt reel. LLBean stuff for me has been best bang for the buck. Angler series are 2 ball bearings, the others are all 10 and so far both have been super durable. most have braid either 20 or 30lbs and the others are running cajun line 12lb. caught all sorts of stuff with them from pan fish, bass and salt water species, mullet, blue, sm sharks etc.

I've never looked at the L.L Bean stuff before. Might have to take a look

LLBean, well worth the price and great customer service. not satisfied bring it back.

Around half of what I had a couple of years ago.. and I don't really count bait poles.. ;-)

poles.jpg

That's cool...

Nice... I really like your boat. That's about perfect for what we use one for.

Thanks, I mainly tight line for catfish and that Monster Rod Rack comes in extremely handy since I'm mainly using circle hooks.

I own one fishing rod. It is an Ugly Stik brand. (Not spelled stick.)

I used to own two fishing rods back east.

Cate

You are probably the only smart one here lol... :D I bought an Ugly Stik about 3 years ago after a friend recommended them. They really are a
good rod, and most are priced very reasonably.

I have way too many. Several old Wright & Mcgill spinning rods, a Wright & Mcgill heavy trolling rod that my dad gave me along with a custom trolling rod with rollers that is a dream to use. I have a bunch of cheap trout rods that are nothing special but fun and a couple of lightweight Lamiglas graphite rods, one spinning and one casting that are my babies.

11896476_991173644267460_6604872380168106637_o.jpg

Last edited:
I have way too many. Several old Wright & Mcgill spinning rods, a Wright & Mcgill heavy trolling rod that my dad gave me along with a custom trolling rod with rollers that is a dream to use. I have a bunch of cheap trout rods that are nothing special but fun and a couple of lightweight Lamiglas graphite rods, one spinning and one casting that are my babies.

11896476_991173644267460_6604872380168106637_o.jpg

That's a cool picture Mack... I went to a small Tackle shop in La Pine today, and he had a couple heavy rods with rollers.

My first... My parents got this for my birthday when I was 12 or 13, over 40 years ago. It still gets used...
Eagle Claw Denco 7 foot with a Pre Garcia Mitchell reel. It's a 300 made before they started putting 300 on the side .

IMG_20160707_175831900_zpsauoiu63m.jpg

I own far to many rods and reels, but today I received the coolest I own, from a very generous member. Thanks again Mack.
An early Wright McGill Trailmaster.

IMG_20160707_175651156_zpsc5helcfg.jpg

That's a cool picture Mack... I went to a small Tackle shop in La Pine today, and he had a couple heavy rods with rollers.

I was too far south I guess to run into you. I was in K Falls.
After using the roller guides to land a few salmon, I am hooked on them. So smooth it's ridiculous. I will be talking to the local rod builder about making me a lighter salmon rod with all roller guides. It's only money, right?

You're welcome. I just had a feeling that you would like that little Wright & McGill. They are about as cool as it gets.

I was too far south I guess to run into you. I was in K Falls.
After using the roller guides to land a few salmon, I am hooked on them. So smooth it's ridiculous. I will be talking to the local rod builder about making me a lighter salmon rod with all roller guides. It's only money, right?

You're welcome. I just had a feeling that you would like that little Wright & McGill. They are about as cool as it gets.

Yep, a guy works to hard just to put all the $$$ in the bank :D I bet the rollers make a huge difference. Next time I go back to that shop, if he still
has those heavy rods, I'll take a couple pictures and see if it's something you are interested in. IIRC, one was $65 and they other was $75.
It would be a lot cooler having a custom rod made the way you want though...

Rollers on the rod... throw some monel wire on the reel.
Get down 10' for every 100' out.
Long mono leader and you're set for some deepwater trolling like they do in Montauk :)

Yep, a guy works to hard just to put all the $$$ in the bank :D I bet the rollers make a huge difference. Next time I go back to that shop, if he still
has those heavy rods, I'll take a couple pictures and see if it's something you are interested in. IIRC, one was $65 and they other was $75.
It would be a lot cooler having a custom rod made the way you want though...

It would be hard for me to walk out of there with money in my pocket. Please do take some pics. I just might need one.

Back