How many fishing rods do you own ?

Way too many! :eek: Don't tell my wife! (Trust me, she already knows...)

About 10-12 different spinning combos

A few bait cast combos

9 fly combos

13 ice combos

6 trolling combos

And 5 or 6 older rods that don't get used much anymore. Most of the above rigs get used at least a couple times per year, if not by me, then by my wife or kids and maybe a buddy or two. The bait casters probably see the least usage, with either one of a couple spinning combos getting the most use the last few years, followed by one of the fly combos, and then a couple of the ice combos. I fish a lot.

The amount of tackle and gear is a whole 'nother story. I'm not just talking about lures either. Planer boards, Dipsy Divers, snap weights, slip bobbers, leader-making jigs, jig molding equipment, fly tying stuff, boots, waders, fish finders, the list goes on and on. If it was all stored in the same area, it would probably respectably fill a 15x15 bedroom. :eek:

At least I don't need to own my own lake boat; my fishing / hunting club takes care of that part, so that's one expense I've been spared. I do, however, own a Hyde drift boat.

It would be hard for me to walk out of there with money in my pocket. Please do take some pics. I just might need one.

:D It's a cool little shop, and at least with the stuff I've looked at or bought, his prices are very reasonable. This is his first year in business, but he has a lot of stuff, vintage and newer. I know for sure he has two heavy rods with rollers, but he may have more that I didn't see, or that he has in his little back room.

He's getting an older Lamiglas steelhead rod in on trade this coming week that I want to look at, but he wasn't sure which day. I'll look at the heavy rods closer, see what price he has on them, and take some pictures for you and send them to you... I'll see what his bottom dollar price is on them. He told me that things have
been a little slow the last couple weeks, so I'm sure he is willing to make a deal :D

Way too many! :eek: Don't tell my wife! (Trust me, she already knows...)

About 10-12 different spinning combos

A few bait cast combos

9 fly combos

13 ice combos

6 trolling combos

And 5 or 6 older rods that don't get used much anymore. Most of the above rigs get used at least a couple times per year, if not by me, then by my wife or kids and maybe a buddy or two. The bait casters probably see the least usage, with either one of a couple spinning combos getting the most use the last few years, followed by one of the fly combos, and then a couple of the ice combos. I fish a lot.

The amount of tackle and gear is a whole 'nother story. I'm not just talking about lures either. Planer boards, Dipsy Divers, snap weights, slip bobbers, leader-making jigs, jig molding equipment, fly tying stuff, boots, waders, fish finders, the list goes on and on. If it was all stored in the same area, it would probably respectably fill a 15x15 bedroom. :eek:

At least I don't need to own my own lake boat; my fishing / hunting club takes care of that part, so that's one expense I've been spared. I do, however, own a Hyde drift boat.

Good to see you Jared... Is your drift boat wood or aluminum ? I was born and raised on the McKenzie River in Springfield, Or. I've spent countless hours
on the river over the years, in tubes, float tubes, drift boats, and fishing from the bank. It's a beautiful river, and actually the only thing I miss about not
living there anymore.
We have the Deschutes river in our area, which is a very famous river. People come from all over the world to fish here...
I rarely spend any time on the river though. It's not a big river, and there are always a gazillion people on it. Mack lives on a very nice river too...

I don't remember the particulars of the history but IIRC, the McKenzie River drift boats were basically the original drift boats as we know them today.
At least in the area I grew up...

:D It's a cool little shop, and at least with the stuff I've looked at or bought, his prices are very reasonable. This is his first year in business, but he has a lot of stuff, vintage and newer. I know for sure he has two heavy rods with rollers, but he may have more that I didn't see, or that he has in his little back room.

He's getting an older Lamiglas steelhead rod in on trade this coming week that I want to look at, but he wasn't sure which day. I'll look at the heavy rods closer, see what price he has on them, and take some pictures for you and send them to you... I'll see what his bottom dollar price is on them. He told me that things have
been a little slow the last couple weeks, so I'm sure he is willing to make a deal :D

Good to see you Jared... Is your drift boat wood or aluminum ? I was born and raised on the McKenzie River in Springfield, Or. I've spent countless hours
on the river over the years, in tubes, float tubes, drift boats, and fishing from the bank. It's a beautiful river, and actually the only thing I miss about not
living there anymore.
We have the Deschutes river in our area, which is a very famous river. People come from all over the world to fish here...
I rarely spend any time on the river though. It's not a big river, and there are always a gazillion people on it. Mack lives on a very nice river too...

I don't remember the particulars of the history but IIRC, the McKenzie River drift boats were basically the original drift boats as we know them today.

Cool. I can't wait to spend more money. :D

Last year I ogled a bunch of drift boats. One aluminum one was handmade and really freaking nice.
This year the river is really low. Hundreds of tons of sand came in this winter. A drift boat would be nice to have. My boat doesn't have a huge draft but it will be tight this season.

I have four: an ultralight (1p) for trout, a light (2p) for bass, and a medium (1p) for bass, although with a fly rod. Of the three, I tend to use the third one the most, although I enjoy the ultralight more. Unfortunately, the trout parks around here are all two hours away, and the best one is about three hours.

My dad used to fish with an ultralight Fenwick until he died last August. He was a fine trout fisherman, and he must have had that rod more than thirty-five years. I recall many of our trips where he would have his limit in under an hour while I wouldn't catch my limit all day. He never failed to remind me about that, either. I have three brothers, all of whom are anglers, so one of us will eventually have it.

30 plus or so. Fly rods, light tackle spinning, baitcasters, heavy trollers and a few specialty snook & tarpon rods. I was a light tackle & fly fishing guide/captain for over 20 years. Retired my ticket last year and have been thinning down the equipment.

Cool. I can't wait to spend more money. :D

Last year I ogled a bunch of drift boats. One aluminum one was handmade and really freaking nice.
This year the river is really low. Hundreds of tons of sand came in this winter. A drift boat would be nice to have. My boat doesn't have a huge draft but it will be tight this season.

That's good, because I REALLY enjoy spending other people's money :D That sucks about the river. Can they dredge in that area ? You could get a lot of use out of your boat where you live...
One of my second cousins husband started Slide Rite drift boat company years ago. You can't beat aluminum boats. Lightweight and very
little upkeep. But a wood drift boat that is just stained and sealed, or even just sealed is a thing of beauty...

Don Hill makes some beautiful boats, and has been doing it for years. He lived in Springfield for a long time, but I heard he moved to Eugene.
Super nice guy...

http://dhdriftboats.com/usedBoats.html

Koffler makes very nicely made boats too, Drift boats and Sleds...They have been in business a long time too. Their shop is out off of
Greenhill Rd. by the Eugene airport.

http://kofflerboats.com/

If I ever win the lottery, they will be one of the first people I call :D I would love to have a nice 22 foot sled. North River boats in Roseburg
makes some beautiful sleds too. Heck, there are a lot of really good boats to choose from.

offhand probably 50 to 55 rods and 12-14 spinning reels, 12 or 13 flyreels, 5 levelwind/baitcasters, 3 mooching reels

Everything from ultra light backpacking combo's to 13 ft salmon rods rated 30 to 60lb test. Flyrod and reel weights from #4 to #11/12 for biggame/saltwater
2 flyvises and boxes of tying gear

I have every rod owned/used from 6 yrs old....even the 2 that I have broken 20 yrs ago for spare guides and cat toys

Some fancy and some beater/loaners but I am geared up for just about everthing that swims in Canada......don't even start about all the tackle, waders,nets etc
for all the different applications!!

I have a pest contract(private) with a local well stocked tackle/bait store and for the past 10 years get $65 a month in store credit!!!!!

Close to $800 a year in goodies and rodenticide costs me maybe $80 to $90 a year for their usage!

The wife can only roll her eyes as it does not take away from the family budget and they don't stock womens sundries or baby gear.....ALL FOR DADDY!!!

Last edited:
living there anymore.

Thanks Mike, good to see you too! :) My boat is what Hyde called their "combo" hull. It's a 1998 model, that my FIL originally bought, and then sold to me in 2007. It's primarily fiberglass, but with a thin layer of aluminum sandwiched inside. I keep it covered, and sheltered, so it is in really good shape still. I have an old pic somewhere in my bucket from the day I bought it...

Found it!

Unfortunately, we haven't used it too much the past few years. We were supposed to have taken a week-long trip to the Green river below Flaming Gorge a couple weeks ago, but piss-poor resource management by the USBR had the river completely blown out at ~9,000cfs (full releases from the dam without the flood gates open). They usually have a week of that kind of flow, but this year they had it at ~6,500cfs for almost 2 weeks, then ~9,000cfs for almost 2 weeks. I've been there for 6,500 before. Fishing from the boat sucked, and the river is moving pretty fast. Forget wade fishing. 5,000 is my limit to go up there, and I wouldn't even bother to try it at 9,000. So needless to say, I was pretty pissed off at USBR! :mad:

That's a nice looking boat. Bet it looks great in the water. That sucks about the river. You really gotta wonder about some of the alphabet agencies.

My Montana born and raised husband owns two or three fishing rods/reels now. One reel was kind of expensive but I don't remember the name of it now.

He has less than fifty lures and 'flies' now but he did not count them out for me. He has to clean out his tackle box again. He fly fishes the most now on OFF the beaten path creeks, rivers that are not crowded, etc.

He used to own more rods, reels and lures in his 60 plus years on earth. He used to own two small boats, I thought that he only owned one fishing boat but he corrected me just now, and that was many years before I knew him.

My late husband used to own only a couple of rods/reels in his lifetime.

He did own some SWEET sail and power boats that we enjoyed in our marriage.

I only bought and owned one boat, a sailboat, in my lifetime. A Sunfish! Grin. I loved that Sunfish!

Cate

My husband and I were watching our dvds of GRUMPY OLD MEN and GRUMPIER OLD MEN and we were talking about ice fishing. (They ice fish in those movies! They fish in good weather too.)

My MT husband used to ice fish many moons ago.

I don't care for ICE fishing but I know people who ice fished a LOT in my former state in the Great Lakes region (My late husband's home state where I lived for over 30 years.) and back on some lakes on the East Coast where I was born and raised.

My late husband and I used to go up to the lake AND river docks that we used to rent and to many of the
free boat drops and watch the ice fishing and water scenery quite often. The big lake was 26 miles from our rural driveway in one direction. I used to love to watch the big storms in the winter time on the lake just as much as I watched them on the ocean and bay growing up back on the East Coast. Some people only enjoy the water in some seasons but I like it year round even if I don't 'ice fish'.

I told my husband that if he wanted to ice fish that I would sit in a warm car or truck not in an ice shanty!

I enjoyed time ON the water in the spring and fall even if it was cooler/colder just as much as I did in the summer time. But I enjoyed the summer days on the water the most because the water was warmer for swimming.

Cate
Typos!

Last edited:
A better question might be "do you own enough fishing rods?" I picked up a custom G-Loomis light surf rod the other day that I just couldn't pass up. It's a SA1266 blank cut down to 9' with Fuji Hardaloy guides, Fuji reelseat, and cork split grips.

Just counted 18 that I can think of. 7 are for ice fishing, 2 catfish rods, and the rest for walleye, pike, and panfish.
Add 2 more poles to mine. I ordered a couple 2 piece Cabelas rods that they had on sale last night. A medium fast 7' and a medium light fast 7'. I wanted to get a couple that I could use for my shore fishing around all the rocks we have here and not worry about them too much, but I also wanted a couple that I could take with when we go out of town too. The medium and medium light should be able to catch anything that I might run into.

+2, so 22ish. I picked up a couple shimano tdr's for pulling cranks on leadcore for walleye.

I will stick with just mine. My dad was a guide so the family collective fishing gear is too much to count.

4 fly rods
7 trout/NP minnow - bass rods
6 steelhead and salmon rods
3-4 boat rods
2 surf rods/sturgeon bank rods
2 sturgeon XX heavy rods

Rough estimate

I have 4 setups. One of shimano rods has no reel so technically 3 atm.
2 shimano schimitar
Ugly stick
Penn combo

What's funny is I only bought one of those rods a shimano at the flea market for $7 that I had to refurbish the cork. I got it because I knew the model and had it in a two piece which was a gift from my dad when I was younger. Same with ugly stick

The Penn combo was a gift from my mom when I first went out to .CA.

I have purchased combs since take them home a night or two realize I don't need it then return it. Rather have money invested in terminal tackle and you'll actually go through that stuff. Even off spray gets expensive with the amount of fishing I do. And I am in FL with Zika so it wouldn't be good to go without.

You can never have too many fly rods (or knives, or guns)

Some of my fly rods:

collyer-mmm-red-1.jpg

transkbow.jpg

osprey-slide.jpg

osprey-ferrules.jpg

joefishsm.jpg

ccfish.jpg

uintafish.jpg

just three at the moment, a couple little spinners on 6ish foot poles, and a 10 foot surf rod. The surf rod will get replaced next year, thinking about doing a penn prevail 12ft and a slammer 560, and I'd like to get a 7-8 foot mid weight rod with another slammer 260 as a general purpose rod. Its pretty much going to be a 1-in-1-out, since we have no space, and my wife can count if my rods all get replaced before hers does..... might make that 2 general purpose rods next year....

Back