How much does the look of a knife influence you?

Appearance gets my attention, the other qualities of the knife then play a role as to whether I buy it. So, it's pretty important.

I think manufacturer reputation is equal to appearance. A funky looking Spyderco will have me clicking 'buy' fast, but a similar knife from another manufacturer I don't know as well, probably not.

So looks are important, then.

In a way. When buying online, of course, it has to be. I guess I like plain, functional knives. But I won't buy a knife because it "looks cool". My thoughts would be different on the matter if I was a collector though.

I'm a sucker for clip point fixed blades and daggers.

I'm still relatively new to folders, but I think I know what I like. I've mainly been collecting Kershaw Emersons and Emersons. I do have a PM2 and love it, but I'll tell you no lies, I like the Emerson look. Hope I never get a dud.

If practicool was all it was about, all I'd ever have would be an SAK and a RAT.

I think price plays a factor. If I'm just looking something sharp or point I really don't care how it looks as long as it functions. If it's something I'm going to spend good money on or carry with me constantly then looks are important.

I look for both form and function, but function is most important. I love Spyderco, but of the ones I have/have had that are aesthetically pleasing to me is my Manix 2 CTS-XHP, with ironwood scales.

If it doesn't fit my hand well, I won't own it. As far as having both For&F, my Kizer Ki 4423, TSF Beast, Southern Grind Spider Monkey, and Matt Bailey model 2 flipper geek edition are the ones.

When something is very functional its looks are appealing to me, for example the spyder hole. For me in a way form and function go hand in hand.

If it's something I'll be wearing or showing others all day (backpack, clothes, pen, etc.) looks are very important and a big factor in what I buy or don't buy.
But in a knife, which is rarely seen by others (in my daily life at least) I put function first, that's the reason I do the ugly and admittedly horrendous "wave mod" on many of my folders. It's of great utility and incredibly useful to me, even though it takes away so much of a folder's beauty and looks.

CAM05803_zpsdu1m2bki.jpg

YMMV!

Depends on the knife. I own and carry a number of knives that I don't think are attractive, but the perform well, so they've more than earned their spot. Other knives I own largely because I like their looks and performance is distinctly secondary.

Don't care if the knife is the best functioning cutting tool ever, if it looks like a hot mess to me, I'm moving on.
Just like when a friend's girlfriend wants to match you up with her friend......she is the best cook with a fantastic personality........NO THANKS!!
The looks are the first attribute to garner interest.
Joe

To me , a knife being pleasing to the eye is a big factor.

But it's just one of the factors.

It's the only consideration that, by itself, can be a deal breaker. I wouldn't buy a knife solely because its aesthetics, but I would certainly NOT buy one because of its aesthetics.

Looks may get my attention but I take other things into consideration as well, such as the manufacturers reputation, fit and finish, blade steel, action, etc. As far as I go, I'm not a big fan of assisted opening knives, and I have avoided buying knives with this feature even though I liked the looks of the knife.

Aesthetics are of primary importance, followed by performance. That's why I never got any Spydercos for example....excellent reputation, great customer service from what I've read, great quality and use of materials, and great utility from the spydie hole. But their knives are just so damn ugly....

There are too many good options out there to sacrifice either looks or function. Get a knife that fits your needs the best in both categories.

Aesthetics are of primary importance, followed by performance. That's why I never got any Spydercos for example....excellent reputation, great customer service from what I've read, great quality and use of materials, and great utility from the spydie hole. But their knives are just so damn ugly....

There are too many good options out there to sacrifice either looks or function. Get a knife that fits your needs the best in both categories.
i had the same thought about them but then I ordered one on the idea that there were aftermarket scales I could add to it that made it more "good looking" to me at least. Looks however are subject to who is doing the looking

In the age "BI-before internet" I would go to local brick and mortar store and spend hours fondling all the knives they had in display case, so purchase decision was based 50/50 feel & looks. All of theses stores are gone now in the area I live in today.

Today I live in age of "AI-after internet", so all my buying decisions are primary based on how it looks in print or on PC screen, form and function, does the handle look ergonomically comfortable in any grip, is the blade shape and grind look like it would be great performer, etc?
I try to visualize how given model would fit into my hand, if it doesn't then I skip that particular model. ex: Spyderco knives have ergonomic BUT too long handle for my hand size which means awkward grip changes under stress, no spydie for me!
I can't hold them in my hand to see if I like it. One of the reasons I don't like Chris Reeves knives is because handle shape doesn't look very ergonomic and comfortable for me, even though I love his blade shape/grind!

It must look functional, which usually means it's clean simple visually attractive design! It doesn't need any bells and whistles to look cool but be fugly and useless non-functional at all!

On paper it may sound great ex: premium materials, f & F, cs, manufacturer etc, but if it looks non functional than I'll NOT buy it!

Looks are a major factor when it comes to my knife purchases.

What can I say? I'm a shallow dude haha.

Back