How to get rid of sharp junk?

In my innocent younger years, I acquired a number of sharp items which seemed like great deals at the time (such as swords, knives, pistol crossbows/bolts, etc.)

Now I want to clean out some of this junk (as I've realized much of it is), but I'm not quite sure how to dispose of it. I'd bet that Goodwill wouldn't take it, it's really not worth enough to sell, I'm reluctant to ship it off to someone who may be too young, and I don't want to simply toss it in the trash because I'm not sure who might make off with it (lots of kids running around in my neighborhood).

Any suggestions on a good, safe disposal method?

_

Put it up for sale on Ebay. People will buy anything on Ebay. And I'm only half joking here.

Hmmm. Check with local theater troupes, reinactment folks, and others who may be interested. You might also just go ahead and become a Gold member here and offer these in some package deal or whatnot. Dealing with other Gold members would probably be pretty safe.

Also, could you dull some of these things for use as training blades? Perhaps you know someone of that bent. Perhaps your local martial arts club or police department.

Artists? Sculptors? (I'm reaching here!)

The pistol crossbow sounds fun...:D

Karl

PS If you really want to safely DISPOSE of them, check in your yellow pages under metal scrap dealers or recycling...

My church is having a silent auction at the end of this month. (East-side Seventh Day Adventist Church, Femrite Drive, Madison, WI 608-221-3386). I have bought two knives to donate for this function; the women come, but the men don't like to be there unless there's a good selection of sporting goods. Why not donate the items, save the recipts (my church provides them) and deduct the amount from your taxes?

Here's a tear-jerker. The money goes for long overdue needs for the KIDS in our school. (yeah, yeah, I know that was a low shot, but it's for a good cause.)

When I first became interested in knives, I also acquired a few junkers. I have since gotten rid of them by giving them as gifts to some of my friends children.(checked to make sure it was kosher first) There are now three or four more knife people in the world!:)

i know for glass wrapping it with a few layers of thick paper shopping bags tends to reduce the risk of something poking out. other than that perhaps newspaper.

- Pete

Or, you could auction the lot off here, and donate the proceeds to something cool. I bet the NYFD or NYPD charities would be glad to take the $$.

Come one guys, don't give crappy stuff to your friends and especially to kids or Boy Scouts!

I second the ebay suggestion -- by doing "auction for america" you can get some pretty steep donations.

Or, let Boy Scouts practice knife sharpening skills on them--- there are usually a few Scouts who will generally ruin almost anything :D

Thanks for all the suggestions. I especially like the idea of auctioning the stuff off for a good cause. I'm also shuddering at the thought of a group of boyscouts sitting around the campfire sharpening a stainless steel ninja sword :eek:

Back