How to keep the Boss chisel grind sharp?

(I looked at several videos and forums posts and I'm still confused, I have never had a chisel grind before)

When I got my Blue Boss, it was the sharpest knife I had and after a few months of use, I noticed it was losing its edge in places.
I looked at the edge and could not see any folding...
I stroked the flat edge on a mouse pad wrapped with sandpaper (that works on my other knives) it helped a little.

I can't figure out what to do about the beveled side. It looks like a broad convex sweeping toward the center of the blade.
Then the flat side looks like it has the tiniest little bevel just before it meets the other side.

I looked at the video where he sharpens the BOSS and cuts paper and coins, but all I can see is the master's hands waving around.
Does anyone know of a place I can get an explanation of how to move the edge across the stone (or sanding belt)?

Sorry if I'm not using the right terms, I'm just learning how to keep my knives sharp after many years of thinking it was too difficult.

Thank you.

I will talk with Mike and ask for him to clarify, but in the meantime I can tell you that the main bevel is nearly zero ground, then the sharpened edge is added to the back side of the blade until it burrs up, then the edge it run under the buffer to remove the burr and polish the edge. Hope this helps a little.

I buff that kind of stuff on a leather strop with 14000 diamond paste. It takes very little paste, and rarely refreshed to bring stuff up razor sharp. Works so fast I started refreshing boxcutter knives with disposable blade, sewing machine needles, tools edges, etc...

However, key thing with all this is that you need to get to the refresh long before the edge is dull. If the edge is seriously dull or damaged, you need to regrind. That may mean machine grind with feather touch, or stones, whatever you use, but it is far easier to treat the edge right, and keep it sharp with regular maintenance. With the diamonds as soon as you notice the edge going off, give it a few strokes.

By the way the edge geometry is described in his knife making video, and the sequence for the initial grind. Key things are to notice the angles he set his blades off to, those are the angles you sharpen to. You can set up a custom set of sharpening stick, or rework your lansky if you don't like doing stuff by hand.

I just watched that video and it looks to be about 15 Deg? But I'm just a noob.

Last edited:
Back