Hunting Photos 2016

Just got home from hunting the East Range mountains in Nevada for Mule Deer with my dad and uncle. They each had a tag and I didn't, but they're either old or overweight, lol, so I come along to do the hard work and to document the trip.

DSC_0121%202_zpsju8zfqh3.jpg

Thr%20great%20debate_zpsx7cuq8zv.jpg

Chuck%20NV%20Samurai_zpsnfg03bbj.jpg

Chuck%20NV%20Coyote_zpswgpujic4.jpg

Chuck%20NV%202016%202_zpsubgtandr.jpg

DSC_0046%202_zpsd1506kux.jpg

I have many more photos to go through, but these are just the first ones from the batch.

-Xander

Sweet! Congrats to him and thanks for the quick update. I've got a little Samurai run-around, too. :) Did you trailer it there or drive it?

Looking forward to the rest.

The Sam was trailered up there, with 31" tires and a whopping 75hp it does about 60mph going downhill with a tailwind, lol! It's a fully built trail rig, quite capable, especially with the 2wd Low modification so you can have steering too. Fun little rig to drive, my uncle has been building these trial rigs for years.

-X

Lol. You would outrun me. Mine's running 33's and will do about 55 on flat ground. I won't derail the hunting pic thread with too much rig talk, but thanks for the reply and thanks for the pictures.

Only got one squirrel in range for a shot Friday, saw a couple more but way off in the distance and the woods are so dry that quiet stalking is impossible right now. If you sit down in a good place you might see several, but getting very far into the woods makes too much racket.
Squirrel%209%20of%202016-2017.jpg

I managed to drop a fork today. I was hiking up a hill on my way back to the boat when another one popped out in front of me, it started to take off on me and I bleated it back but it figured out what I was and started to take off. I threw a rushed shot at it with my pack on but it was a clean miss. I would have had to go back tomorrow to get the second one, it was over a 2 mile hike back to the boat. I was tired! I will try to get some pics in the morning of the head. I left my phone at home so no field pics. Nice to have some other variety to go with the moose. :)

Found this guy yesterday. He was busy rubbing on the tree to the left. One shot from the 243 dropped him right there.

Youngest daughter's first moose:

Oldest daughter's deer that we tracked down in the fresh snow:

Two tips:
1 Don't do something stupid even if only for a second - like cutting towards yourself! Got lucky no tendons....
2 Buffs or the Salt Armour face shields are stretchy and make great emergency bandages.

Youngest daughter gets a deer:

After 3 years of no kills (due to guiding the girls LOL), the girls take pity on dad and let him shoot a buck!

Not sure I'll be able to get the freezer lid shut.......

I hunt the deep woods Piedmont of my home state of South Carolina. It's beautiful and bountiful, but nothing like the incredible vistas and big game a lot of you guys are blessed with. Still, I love it and am thankful for it!

I killed this 8 point Whitetail and a big doe my first time out this season. I don't eat a lot of meat so two deer this size do me and the wife until next season. I didn't get any pics of them down, it was dark and I was beat after getting to them and getting them back to where I could clean them.

1016161240_HDR-M.jpg

I hope to try and get out a time or two more this year. A relative hunts some land with hogs so I might try to get after some of them too.

A good friend and I were out hunting on saturday. Right around last light he shot his first deer! A nice two point Blacktail.

The next two weeks will be very busy for us with a big show coming up but I'm going to put in a few solid days in mid november and hopefully connect on one of the big bucks I've been scouting!

30065673043_3089d97db6_z.jpg
30067618594_f9861c620a_z.jpg

Got this guy last Monday morning. He's a 7 with one point busted off. Nailed him with a crossbow at 30 yards after he got done marking his scent on a branch. I've hunted deer for many years using a rifle, but this is my first crossbow kill.

The 9 pointer on the bottom was marking the same branch about 20 minutes earlier after chasing off a couple of younger bucks. I missed a chance to shoot and my buddy ended up getting him from a different stand a short distance away. The angle of the photo is misleading because the one on top was actually about 10 pounds heavier and the neck was more swollen. The 9 is the same deer in the background of the top picture.

Really nice variety of game in this thread :thumbup:

Little muley buck with one of Nate's field knives

Last edited:
Back