Husqvarna multi purpose axe

hello all

As the title suggest I ways just about sold on the husqvarna multi purpose 26in axe but figured I would read some more reviews on amazon there are three consecutive reviews of the blade lit snapping across the stamp area..... was that just a bad batch or would I risk the chance of a similar incident? According to the review husqvarna refused to do anything about it because the 90 days where up... I do not have the funds to lay down and buy a gb or other more expensive ones.....

Any comments about the axe are welcome

Thx in advance James W.

Get you a good vintage boys axe and don't look back. JB Little a member here probably has a rehafted one that would serve you well.

Steve AKA SkillCult did a few videos on his before moving on to a Council Tools boys axe instead. Personally I see some potential in them, but they leave a lot to be desired. The handles look absolutely horrible in my eyes. My wrists hurt just looking at the oversized clubs that Husqvarna puts on their axes. If you don't mind some time with a file, rasp, and sandpaper you could probably turn it into a useable axe after investing about a half a days work or so into it.

^^^^ I have there carpenters axe and love it after spending the time to resize the trunks they call handles and polishing the steel that looks likes it's been drug behind a pickup for a week but really tho it's great axe after I modified it... that's why I was thinking of getting there 26 in axe and investing the same amount of time...... the on,y thing I'm worried about is snapping the blade as some people have after normal bucking

I'm not a fan of the Swedish Hipster axes. I wish they'd go back to at least having some normal-looking axes.

Steve AKA SkillCult did a few videos on his before moving on to a Council Tools boys axe instead. Personally I see some potential in them, but they leave a lot to be desired. The handles look absolutely horrible in my eyes. My wrists hurt just looking at the oversized clubs that Husqvarna puts on their axes. If you don't mind some time with a file, rasp, and sandpaper you could probably turn it into a useable axe after investing about a half a days work or so into it.
Seen this guy's reviews on a few axes and didn't like what he had to say at all, for some reason he hates anything you can't use right off the rack. Almost like he doesn't know how to sharpen and profile a bit.

^^^^ I have there carpenters axe and love it after spending the time to resize the trunks they call handles and polishing the steel that looks likes it's been drug behind a pickup for a week but really tho it's great axe after I modified it... that's why I was thinking of getting there 26 in axe and investing the same amount of time...... the on,y thing I'm worried about is snapping the blade as some people have after normal bucking

I have the Carpenters axe also. I didn't expect a perfect axe for the price but after spending a little time in the garage I am happy with it. I have a Hoffman axe and it came with the handle messed up. So I would big 5 Husqvarna's axe before another one from hoffman.

Seen this guy's reviews on a few axes and didn't like what he had to say at all, for some reason he hates anything you can't use right off the rack. Almost like he doesn't know how to sharpen and profile a bit.

In the reviews he's looking for an axe to recommend to a beginner who doesn't know much of anything about axes. I see nothing wrong with being disappointed with what passes for a quality tool these days when compared to some of my vintage axes. IMO there is nothing that even comes close to a 1960s Kelly TrueTemper Woodslasher on the market today. Not even paying a premium for a hand forged tool or high end production axe. That's pretty sad. That said I don't agree with him on everything, and that's okay. I've discussed a few different ideas with him and for the most part he's open minded which is pretty cool. Especially since he uses an axe far more than I do and could easily write off my experience in comparison.

Cool, if you know what you're getting into, and how to fix it then I think you'll be fine. I would recommend testing out your new axe on some knots or some other stress test to gain confidence in it before investing the time into fixing it up. I'm sure husqvarna will stand behind the product if it fails. It's the first I've heard of the issue honestly though. I know a lot of folks who are perfectly happy with theirs, but I suspect they only really use them for the occasional splitting. If you're ready worried about it you could always go with the Hultafors long chopping axe which in theory should be a bit better quality.

In the reviews he's looking for an axe to recommend to a beginner who doesn't know much of anything about axes. I see nothing wrong with being disappointed with what passes for a quality tool these days when compared to some of my vintage axes. IMO there is nothing that even comes close to a 1960s Kelly TrueTemper Woodslasher on the market today. Not even paying a premium for a hand forged tool or high end production axe. That's pretty sad. That said I don't agree with him on everything, and that's okay. I've discussed a few different ideas with him and for the most part he's open minded which is pretty cool. Especially since he uses an axe far more than I do and could easily write off my experience in comparison.
My feeling is that you have to start somewhere, and what better time to learn how to sharpen and reprofile an axe than with you're first hatchet.
If someone is a beginner they don't need to jump right into chopping on things with a razor sharp object.
One also needs to know how to keep a keen edge on their axe, you'll learn if you have to give it one before you get to use it.

I thought that hoffman offers free new handles?

I haven't heard that. But I ordered a brand new axe and wasn't about to go through rehanging it. It was shipped with no packing or protection at all. It was bought from bladehq. So who knows if it was damaged in the shipping or before.

My feeling is that you have to start somewhere, and what better time to learn how to sharpen and reprofile an axe than with you're first hatchet.
If someone is a beginner they don't need to jump right into chopping on things with a razor sharp object.
One also needs to know how to keep a keen edge on their axe, you'll learn if you have to give it one before you get to use it.

You think it's OK for companies to put out poorly made product because people need to learn how to fix them? That sounds like a terrible justification IMO. That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea for a beginner to learn those things, but it's an entirely separate issue from the inability to buy quality tools from the hardware store in this country anymore.

I have a Husqvarna multi purpose and I like it for what I paid for it ($40 locally) and I have a vintage Craftsman boys axe (2 lb Dayton) that was given to me by my dad (it was my grandfathers) and there is really no comparison. The vintage American axe does everything better.

Having messed around with several vintage and current production Swedish axes I don't see why anyone would pay the current asking prices for the Swedish ones. The area of the country I live in (eastern woodlands) is mostly hardwood trees like oak, maple, and hickory so this might play a factor. Perhaps someone who lives out west with a lot of fur and pine trees would feel differently.

Back