I enjoy sharpening my own knives. What about you?

Hey guys, I used to absolutely stink at sharpening knives, and didn't even know it. I was actually pleased with an edge that could pop a couple arm hairs off. Since I have been a member here, and learned a thing or two about sharpening from the pros, I can now put an edge on a knife that can shave my arms bald if I chose to do so. Sometimes, I even take knives out that I already sharpened just to sharpen them even more. I used to be pleased with the factory edge on new knives. Now I get anxious to touch the edge up to see how much sharper I can get it.
Am I the only one that does this? Do you enjoy sharpening your own knives, or do you take it to a pro, or send it in to the manufacturer?

A knife isn't really mine until I put an edge on it. I love sharpening knives with my Wicked Edge System or sandpaper and a mousepad followed by stropping.

I forgot to mention that I also strop mine on a leather strap. I have a bunch of sharpeners, but I mostly use my Sharpmaker and Lansky.

My knives are easy to sharpen with the few basic double sided stones I have , so it's not a chore and I don't mind having to do it here and there.
Being harder and more time consuming to sharpen would greatly outweigh the less frequent need to sharpen them.

I have always sharpened my own. My grandpa gave me my first knife and he taught me how to sharpen it. He was a wood pattern maker and had decades of experience sharpening planes, chisels, gouges, etc. I encourage anyone who is a knife fan to learn to sharpen free hand. It is slowly becoming a lost art as more and more jigs and gizmos come out. I have a set of 3 diamond stones and a strop.

I'm too cheap to take it to a pro or send it in and I only want to deal with a manufacturer for warranty issues or replacement parts.

My Dad was a butcher so I was given the job of keeping his work knives sharp at an early age. One of the first things I do when I get a new knife is sharpen it. Just doesn't feel like it's mine until I do. It can also be a great stress reliever.
Bob

I've watched so many youtubes, read so many threads, tried on so many of my knives, several methods... and I just don't have the feel yet. Sometimes I feel like I finally have it, and the next time I make a knife duller. Pretty disappointed since it's the crux of the whole dang issue here! I've sent production knives to dealers to have sharpened, usually for free-$5, or have it done for $2 a knife at the farmer's market.
I keep practicing. But I definitely need someone who knows what they're doing show me how I'm screwing up.

I've watched so many youtubes, read so many threads, tried on so many of my knives, several methods... and I just don't have the feel yet. Sometimes I feel like I finally have it, and the next time I make a knife duller. Pretty disappointed since it's the crux of the whole dang issue here! I've sent production knives to dealers to have sharpened, usually for free-$5, or have it done for $2 a knife at the farmer's market.
I keep practicing. But I definitely need someone who knows what they're doing show me how I'm screwing up.

What are you sharpening your knives with?

Use a black sharpie to mark the edge. You will need to reapply frequently, but it will let you see what you are doing every pass.
Keep in mind that pushing with a stone tends to leave a burr, which you can feel with your fingernail on only one side. Taking the burr off will often dramatically increase sharpness.

(I am not a master. These are just two things that helped me out.)

I'm sure everyone is in this space at some point mate. My default recommendation for a beginner is to grab a sharpmaker and the optional diamond rods.

The diamonds will save you some heartache when setting the 30 degree angle first up.

Once you have raised a burr with the diamonds at 30 deg then just work through the standard recommended routine (i.e. Points and flats of the greys and whites at 30 deg and then repeat at 20 deg).

When you finish with the white stones make sure to make very light strokes either side to work the burr off.

Matt

I have rarely purchased a knife with an edge that totally pleased me. That, in a strange way, is good ... because I find that sharpening is very relaxing and therapeutic! Unless it is a very special knife that already has a decent edge ... first thing that gets done is some sharpening. Sometimes, it is to just refine the maker's edge ... other times, it is a complete re-profiling. While I often do touch-ups freehand with ceramics and strops, the Wicked Edge is my preferred sharpening system. Own two versions. Which I use ... depends on the particular knife.

1A0nAxd.jpg

Pn3ycdL.jpg

I have rarely purchased a knife with an edge that totally pleased me. That, in a strange way, is good ... because I find that sharpening is very relaxing and therapeutic! Unless it is a very special knife that already has a decent edge ... first thing that gets done is some sharpening. Sometimes, it is to just refine the maker's edge ... other times, it is a complete re-profiling. While I often do touch-ups freehand with ceramics and strops, the Wicked Edge is my preferred sharpening system. Own two versions. Which I use ... depends on the particular knife.

1A0nAxd.jpg

Pn3ycdL.jpg
How do you like the newer version of the WE? Do you find it structurally better?

How do you like the newer version of the WE? Do you find it structurally better?

While I love the Gen 3 WE, it does have some limitations (especially with smaller knives with thin blades). For those I prefer the older WE model. However, the newest Gen 3 (the 2017 model) has addressed a few of those limitations. So ... I may upgrade my pre-2017 model with the vise from the 2017 edition. Biggest advantage of the Gen 3 is that is a huge time saver over the older versions.

Back