I enjoy sharpening my own knives. What about you?

I do it myself but it's a chore. I'd love not to have to bother. I find stropping relaxing though. I do it while watching a movie sometimes.

I enjoy sharpening my knives to an extent. Took me a bit to catch on to freehand and probably still could learn some new tricks, though it definitely makes you feel pretty damn proud when you put a great edge on one of your knives.

The "Zen" post was a good one, especially when it comes to swords :thumbsup:. I know it's slightly off topic, but when sharpening a 30+ inch, razor sharp (as in a quality katana) blade freehand, where the slightest wrong move can be bloody :eek:, one must concentrate completely. All worries, business concerns, etc. must be put aside. I find it VERY relaxing. :cool:

I hate sharpening knives, which is why I've been carrying a ZDP Endura almost exclusively. ZDP holds an edge for a long time and sharpens up extremely fast.

I own knives that cost as much as 10 Enduras, but they just don't perform the same.

I used to be awful at freehand sharpening, I finally got good a year or two ago. The best sharpening system that I have ever used is the "real sharp, sharp machine"(if you ever buy it, don't use the website, it is a distributor gone bad, you will loose your money) . I can get any knife, no matter how dull it is, sharp in less than 5 minutes, and get it razor sharp at that. Unbelievable sharpening system!!

I only use that once or twice per knife a year, the rest are free hand touch ups.

Free hand is the most fun when it comes to sharpening... once you learn how that is. Can be a little frustrating when you are learning. IMHO

Hey guys, I used to absolutely stink at sharpening knives, and didn't even know it. I was actually pleased with an edge that could pop a couple arm hairs off. Since I have been a member here, and learned a thing or two about sharpening from the pros, I can now put an edge on a knife that can shave my arms bald if I chose to do so. Sometimes, I even take knives out that I already sharpened just to sharpen them even more. I used to be pleased with the factory edge on new knives. Now I get anxious to touch the edge up to see how much sharper I can get it.
Am I the only one that does this? Do you enjoy sharpening your own knives, or do you take it to a pro, or send it in to the manufacturer?

I have always sharpened my own knives, kitchen knives get the most sharpening, and use either my stones, Edge Pro, or Sharpmaker.

A knife isn't really mine until I put an edge on it. I love sharpening knives with my Wicked Edge System or sandpaper and a mousepad followed by stropping.
A knife isn't mine until I get bit! It is a strange feeling of satisfaction that I enjoy. Especially if it's during the initial sharpening stage of our new relationship!

I enjoy sharpening my knives to an extent. Took me a bit to catch on to freehand and probably still could learn some new tricks, though it definitely makes you feel pretty damn proud when you put a great edge on one of your knives.
Some guys here will disagree but I feel that freehand sharpening and being perfect and know it all is impossible. It seems to me that you can always get better. But I'm a young guy age 31. I feel one can always get better...

I'm surprised how many people I know can't sharpen a knife. I'm sure even I am only marginally good at it compared to most on this forum, but I attain shaving edges with ease. I LOVE sharpening knives!
My favorite stone is an old 1"x4" Norton that was found in an old hunting camp a family friend owns. Has to be 60+ years old.

I've never sharpened A knife but I want to do it on my own. What would you recommend for newbies? A standard two sided grindstone, or one of those cheap, small knife sharpeners?

I've never sharpened A knife but I want to do it on my own. What would you recommend for newbies? A standard two sided grindstone, or one of those cheap, small knife sharpeners?

I recommend the lansky sharpening system or Sharpmaker.

A knife isn't mine until I get bit! It is a strange feeling of satisfaction that I enjoy. Especially if it's during the initial sharpening stage of our new relationship!

Ouch!!!! I've been bit a few times but I didn't get much enjoyment out of it.

Some guys here will disagree but I feel that freehand sharpening and being perfect and know it all is impossible. It seems to me that you can always get better. But I'm a young guy age 31. I feel one can always get better...

I agree that there's always more to learn, especially concerning freehand sharpening. What I always found funny was how one time you'll put on the greatest edge ever, and the next time something just doesn't go right and you end up with a subpar edge. It just happens like that, though with more practice it doesn't happen as frequently.

I'm firmly in the "I'd like to think I enjoy it but it's actually a chore" crowd. Less of a chore the better I got at it but still time I'd rather spend doing something else.

When I have the time to spend on it, I enjoy it. It was fun learning the process and getting to where I can freehand decently. It's not something I look forward to with great anticipation, so I guess it tends towards the chore category these days, but not unenjoyable. I just don't have the time to devote to it.

Back