I had quadruple bypass surgery 5\24\17. Any one here with experience? This mine.

FOG2

Gold Member
I had a heart cath done and was told I have major blockages requiring surgery. I am curious if any one here has had it done and your experience and or advice. Mine is being done this coming Wednesday.

I have no first hand experience, but my father had a triple bypass about 16 years ago, probably the only reason he is still around. His surgery went well enough, but there were complications that required them to open him up a second time, and he had a major stroke on the table. He recovered much better than the doctors thought he could, I think just to prove to them that they didn't know what they were talking about.

I had five bypasses 23 years ago at age 48. Strong family history of heart attack deaths, so my genetics are stacked against me, but I was inactive and obese. First the good news, you get to sleep through the whole thing.

Number one tip: They will give you a fat round pillow post-surgery. You will come to cherish it. Hug it tightly before you sneeze or cough. If they don't give you one, get one.

Number two tip: Change your lifestyle. I began a low-fat diet and lost 65 pounds before medical science decided that you can't lose weight that way. So glad I didn't know it. Went from 300 to 245, which is not fat at 6'8". Hospital gave me an exercise progression. First step was shuffling my feet around the den for five minutes, then ten, then 15 around the front yard. Then to a local college track where I progressed to five miles, then began jogging. Stress-cracked a foot then broke a metatarsal at age 54. Desperate for exercise, began using wife's five-pound dumbells. Buying more weight as needed, I progressed until I have dumbells up to 75 pounds in five-pound increments. Bought a Bowflex, used it hard for several years, ignoring Bowflex routines and doing a heavy-duty regimen. (It is a great piece of home equipment, despite what those who never used one will tell you.)
Weight went to 265 with no increase in waist size. Seven years after surgery, my cardiologist said he was "stunned", that I had the heart of man who had never had any heart problems.

Now nearing 71, other health issues ( lifelong back problems, first back surgery at age 22) have forced me into inactivity. I have had five stents over the last four years. I have not gained any weight but some muscle has been replaced by fat and it is driving me nuts. I had become thoroughly addicted to exercise and miss it, after back surgery in April I am trying to become more active.

Hope everything goes well with you.

I appreciate your responses. Today and tomorrow getting tests done then 4 am Wednesday mornin to git er done. I admit I am nervous.

Will think of you and say a prayer. Appreciate you sharing as I always forget that my current problem du jour is nothing compared to this.

I had a triple six years ago at age 70...what Mike said about that pillow is true...it will be your best friend for the next four weeks or so...I woke up from surgery with a tube down my throat...pretty uncomfortable...I made a fuss and got to go back to sleep...next time I woke up it was gone...I spent 7 days in the hospital...once I got home I started walking as much as I could...like Mike, I have changed my lifestyle...my thing is a treadmill...I spend 30-50 minutes on it every morning...I lost 25 lbs...

I guess it is normal to be nervous...it's major surgery but these guys have it down now and it will add years and years to your life...

Good luck...I'll be thinking of you Wednesday...

Cheers/bg

No experience, I'm only 37, but best of luck buddy,

My father had a 5 way with artificial valves installed 2 years ago at 83 years old and he's right as rain today.
Recovery was rather quick as well, he was out doing yardwork just a few months after.
Good luck with your procedure and get well soon!

I don't know your religious proclivities, however, I have to share this. I, too, was scared of the prospect of heart surgery. I was lying in the hospital and was supposed to be the next surgery when I was informed that an emergency surgery had to be done and mine was delayed a few hours. I didn't want to lie there tense and anxious for that length of time, and decided to pray, but what for? What did I want more than anything else right then? A lifelong Christian, I decided I wanted peace. I said "Dear God, your son promised us peace of such a nature that the world can't understand it. I claim that promise, I want that peace.'
Instantaneously a physical sensation of total relaxation, a wave, swept over me, starting at my feet and radiating upward. I wasn't anxious anymore, turned to my wife and told her that no matter what happened everything was going to be alright.
A skeptical friend, a Christian himself, says that was just the demerol kicking in. Maybe so, but I don't think demerol lasts for 23 years, and that peace has been permanent.

If you have undergone your surgery, I hope that everything went well. I had bypass surgery 8 years ago at the age of 41. I remember that everything went well, then when they tried to pull my drainage tubes out, one wouldn't come out. They had to bring me back in for surgery to remove it. Then, when they sent me home, I ended up getting dehydrated, bonked out, and went back to the hospital for another week.

You will be weak, and discouraged from doing much until you have a chance to heal. I had a hard time being comfortable in bed. I got off pain meds after the first couple days. I hated my spirometer. It took me awhile to build up my stamina, cardiac rehab helped.

Just let your healing and rehab happen as it will, don't try to force it. PM me if you have any questions. Good luck.

Wishing you the best with your surgery. Exercise and pay attention to your food after this is done and only a recent memory. One of the things I would do is pay attention to your body in terms of aging... are you aging normally after the surgery (as compared to your father or a brother) or does it seem accelerated. You obviously can't do much about it, but I would pay attention to my body. It should give you some clues to your overall health.

Good luck. My secretary had a bypass and felt much much better and was able to be more active afterwards. She has since retired but is still doing great.

Well, you should be out of IC by now and generally feeling like crap...no worries, it gets much better and, for the most part, fairly soon...next goal is to improve enough to be discharged...as soon as you feel up to posting, let us know how you are doing...

Cheers/bg

Thanks all for ur posts. I am still in ICU hopefully the tubes will come out tomorrow. They want me to cough harder and get higher numbers on the air meter but it is hard to do cause of the pain. Anyway i am feeling better daily.

Keep fighting through it all!! My Mother had same 5 years back. She is well and healthy!
My wife had a double lung transplant last September. She had nine chest tubes and they had her up and walking 2 days later even while they were still in place.
Fight and do everything thing the Docs ask no matter how hard!! Ask for help, pain meds, support. Walk, exercise, scream, laugh, pray... whatever it takes!!! The first year after is a rollercoaster, hospitalization, infections, pain. Just put your head down, lean forward and go.
When your going through hell, keep going don't stop, dont ask why just go my friend!
Kick ass today, look back and smile later!!!

Khanvoy44..those are impressive and motivating words. THANK YOU FOR sharing that advise!

I used to work in Cardiac Rehab and helped many patients after their Bypass surgery. At this point in the game, just know that you are going to feel better day after day and you will make huge progress week to week.

You have a good deal of recovery to get through, but you will feel better. The body is an amazing thing!

They moved me outta icu about noon today and are saying i will go home tomorrow. 4 days from open heart surgery to going home is amazing to me. NChunter I do realize it will be some time before my next goal of getting back to work.

That is amazing!!!...

Make your goals small and each time you reach one, set another...you will be back to 100% before you know it...

Cheers/bg

They moved me outta icu about noon today and are saying i will go home tomorrow. 4 days from open heart surgery to going home is amazing to me. NChunter I do realize it will be some time before my next goal of getting back to work.

You'll be back to work before you know it, but take it one day at a time and get healed up first! Are you able to go to a Cardiac Rehab program?

Back