I had quadruple bypass surgery 5\24\17. Any one here with experience? This mine.

NChunter I am home today but it is a holiday so tomorrow I need to call about outpatient resources that are available. Are you suggesting a rehab program?

In my case, my cardiologist said I did not need a rehab program because I was already doing enough on my own...I would follow the recommendation of your physician were I you...

Feel better...

Cheers/bg

I got up early this morning to crank up the smoker for some pulled pork this evening and was thinking of you...I hope your recovery is on track...

Cheers/bg

Thanks BM, I am getting better every day altho something new hurts evry day, today it the incisions on my legs. But evryday something hurts less as well. I am happy to say I have been narcotics free for 3 days now.

Last edited:
Glad you are feeling better. Follow your doctor's instructions as far as rehab goes. My secretary had to go to cardio rehab after hers and she ended up feeling better and being in better shape than before the bypass.

Thanks Shann. I have decided to do a rehab and am working on finding one in my area.

It's great to hear you are making progress...especially the "narcotics free" part...keep us in the loop...

Cheers/bg

Another day has passed and I feel better still, and was able to walk longer than any previous day and it didn't wear me out either like it has in the past. I noticed today that I feel better and am thinking better than I was presurgery! I never totally realized how the lack of blood and oxygen flow was affecting me.

Fantastic!...it sounds like you are progressing at a faster pace than I did...of course you are probably younger than I was (70)...

Keep up the good work...

Cheers/bg

Bm I am 57, all the nurses kept saying how young I was altho I don't think I am. Evry thing is relative I suppose.

Today's report is I yet agian feel better than the day before. It will still be days and weeks before I can bend over or pick up any weight,a gallon of milk is almost to much at this point.

An addition to the previous post.
As I have been so well the past few days when my girlfriend suggested going to a early movie ( 1:20pm ) I said yes lets do. I guess my earlier walk and then climbing the steps at the movie theater was just to much.
I slept on and off thru the movie and on the way home my girl asked if I was ok, that I didn't seem well.
I answered truthfully that I was bushed. I guess this was a wake up call to me and I need to be careful how much I exert mysel. I have been in bed all aftrnoon and am gonna be sleeping soon I believe.
It bummed me out a bit that those stairs wiped me out, but I have to remember 11 days ago I was on a table with my sternum split wide open, my left arm slit from wrist to elbow, and both legs from ankle to knee opened up as well.

Note to self= Bryce your healing well but you have had a major surgery. Take it slow and steady and allow the body time to heal.

Good night all and best wishes to you and yours.

Your "note to self" is good...

It's been six years for me so I am hazy on the timelines of my progress...I just remember setting small goals and adding on to them almost daily...having my cardiologist as my next door neighbor helped my confidence level too...if something went wrong, he was right there, for the most part...I also remember that anytime we went anywhere in the car my wife insisted I sit in the back seat with a big pillow on my chest in case of an accident...she was afraid of what an airbag would do to my incision...I felt kinda silly but she took such good care of my, i just said "yes dear"...

Cheers/bg

Well today is day 14, 2 weeks post surgery I am feeling pretty good tho I can feel the breast bone complain where it was sawn open when I make certain movements. I felt well enough the last 2 days to start putting together a workshop in the garage. I even drove to Home Depot to pick up a few things. Shhhhhhh don't tell my doctor or girlfriend as I am not supposed to be driving per doctors orders for 2 more weeks. So far so good, hopefully this posting will help others who have to have the same thing done. If nothing else reading it reminds me of how far I have come and how much better I feel as time passes.

They moved me outta icu about noon today and are saying i will go home tomorrow. 4 days from open heart surgery to going home is amazing to me. NChunter I do realize it will be some time before my next goal of getting back to work.

Figure on 2 months. Cardiac rehab would help a lot. It's structured exercise while being monitored by a nurse or nurses.

I had my CABG on 11/17/1998. I was told that they did 6. My cardiologist says they did 4.

My chest never hurt, but my ribs hurt when I coughed or sneezed. They hurt for about 6 months.

Well today is day 14, 2 weeks post surgery I am feeling pretty good tho I can feel the breast bone complain where it was sawn open when I make certain movements. I felt well enough the last 2 days to start putting together a workshop in the garage. I even drove to Home Depot to pick up a few things. Shhhhhhh don't tell my doctor or girlfriend as I am not supposed to be driving per doctors orders for 2 more weeks. So far so good, hopefully this posting will help others who have to have the same thing done. If nothing else reading it reminds me of how far I have come and how much better I feel as time passes.

Be careful. I know a guy who overdid it and had to have his sternum sutured again. If the bone was wired properly, you shouldn't feel much.

Thanks for the info Uffda. I asked about the rehab but my home care nurse said it was to soon.
I am being carefull not to lift anything heavy. I feel kinda useless asking my girl to lift stuff but I understand why I can't.

Great to hear that you are getting better and better...

Cheers/bg

My P.T. is coming tomorrow to do an evaluation to see if I am ready and make a plan for going forward with Physical therapy.
On a different note I forgot or ignored my (note to self). I did NOT feel well this morning and my girlfriend made me call my home care nurse to come check me out. All my vitals were fine and she along with my girl decided I had done to much yesterday. I had to agree, I just got too caught up in working in my lil knife shop. I didn't tell them (as I was afriad they would send me to the hospital) and I have no idea what I did but I had a small amount of blood ooz out of one of my incisions where a chest drain tube had been. That and the way I felt today scared the shite outta me!
While I was working yesterday I felt fine and I feel fine right now. I guess thats why I do to much sometimes.

Well, that sounds fairly serious to me and not something I would keep from the medical professionals...just saying...

Cheers/bg

BM I agree and want to thank you for checking my thread and sharinh your thoughts. I had some symptoms this morning that almost caused me to go to the hospital but they passed in a few minutes.
I hate the thought of going back there but if the symptoms return I guess I will.

Back