I have a question about shell construction imperials ( peanuts in partucular )

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I believe the peanuts were originally a basic shell construction with the scale area painted black like the kamp kings. But does anyone know when they started using the black and brown painted white plastic for the scales ? It Also has the little crown shield that I don't think was always used on the peanut's if that helps.
I just got a nos carbon steel imperial peanut which has the '56-'88 tang stamp, and I'm hoping the handle construction can narrow it down further.
I was one of 5 winners in a recent giveaway on the porch, and it would be nice if a more specific age range can be given to those who care.
If anyone has any info I'd sure appreciate it.

I got one just like it.

It's an awesome little knife , especially because it's an imperial.
Their carbon steel is great, their blades are always very thin and slicy, and their knives are nice and lightweight which is great for edc.

I have the same knife in mother of pearl, except mine has three patent numbers on the tang. I found it the other day in a box of tools I inherited from my dad. When I found it, the blades were kind of rough looking. A little time with #0000 and some very light oil and it looks and works much better.

forum image hosting

I have the same knife in mother of pearl, except mine has three patent numbers on the tang. I found it the other day in a box of tools I inherited from my dad. When I found it, the blades were kind of rough looking. A little time with #0000 and some very light oil and it looks and works much better.

forum image hosting
So what's the tang stamp on yours ?
Mine is the '56-'88 dated imperial over prov RI with vertical USA to the right.
I like the pearl look plastic that yours has, especially since it required no paint and or coating.

I'll bet your knife is from when they first started using this particular plastic shell over metal shell design, because these patent numbers imperial used were not for the knives themselves but for the different ways they came up with to construct them. I suspect they and colonial both patented stuff like this because they were in direction competition with each other, partially because colonial was founded by a couple of former imperial employees.

Mine is the same...'56-'88 dates. Out of the 5 Imperials that I have, this one dates as the newest, according to tang stamp. The scales appear to have shrunk, judging by the way it looks as though it's pulling away from the pins, and they are slightly loose...secure, but they shift slightly. I was happy about how well the blades cleaned up with the #0000 wool and mineral oil. A testament to quality of the company and it's employees. I remember having a number of these little knives over the years.

Somewhere, I have a black Kamp-King with the same issues as your peanut...the plastic began peeling up at the edges due to age, and I helped it along a bit. One side is without the plastic, while the other side still has it. I've been looking for it for the past couple of weeks, but can't seem to locate it.

You're probably right about the reason for the patents. I recently came across what I had thought was an Imperial fixed blade that had faux stag handles over metal backing, and the plastic had split. We picked it up at a garage sale that way, missing the sheath, too. I thought it was Imperial due to design and reading Providence RI on the tang. Somebody corrected me, which led me to investigate the tie between the two companies...If I'm not mistaken, one of the brothers that started Colonial used to work for Imperial. I'm also assuming that they shuffled employees around between layoffs and such, which is normal for a manufacturing town. The patents would protect the company if the employee left and went to work at the competition.

Mine is the same...'56-'88 dates. Out of the 5 Imperials that I have, this one dates as the newest, according to tang stamp. The scales appear to have shrunk, judging by the way it looks as though it's pulling away from the pins, and they are slightly loose...secure, but they shift slightly. I was happy about how well the blades cleaned up with the #0000 wool and mineral oil. A testament to quality of the company and it's employees. I remember having a number of these little knives over the years.

Somewhere, I have a black Kamp-King with the same issues as your peanut...the plastic began peeling up at the edges due to age, and I helped it along a bit. One side is without the plastic, while the other side still has it. I've been looking for it for the past couple of weeks, but can't seem to locate it.

You're probably right about the reason for the patents. I recently came across what I had thought was an Imperial fixed blade that had faux stag handles over metal backing, and the plastic had split. We picked it up at a garage sale that way, missing the sheath, too. I thought it was Imperial due to design and reading Providence RI on the tang. Somebody corrected me, which led me to investigate the tie between the two companies...If I'm not mistaken, one of the brothers that started Colonial used to work for Imperial. I'm also assuming that they shuffled employees around between layoffs and such, which is normal for a manufacturing town. The patents would protect the company if the employee left and went to work at the competition.

That was me 👍
The scales on your knife may have shrunk, what I'd do is pry up a tiny bit with a tiny Flathead screwdriver and get a small drop of super glue under there.
Have you carried yours at all ? Mine is going into my pocket for the week starting tomorrow .

I don't have any date info for you. But I was one of the other winners. What I discovered was that the plastic is simply painted on. Underneath is a continuous stamped metal from end to end. I found it quite interesting. Discovered it on mine when trying to buff on the bench wheel.

i1fg95.jpg

4kxjba.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

I don't have any date info for you. But I was one of the other winners. What I discovered was that the plastic is simply painted on. Underneath is a continuous stamped metal from end to end. I found it quite interesting. Discovered it on mine when trying to buff on the bench wheel.

i1fg95.jpg

4kxjba.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Well whaddaya know, the edge of mine was coming off and it turns out that it was just some plastic film that was likely heat shrunk to the metal. I knew there was a continuous metal shell underneath, but I thought the plastic was a thin molded piece glued on.
I peeled it off of the shield side, but for now I left it on the other as its not coming off at all and having both kinda looks cool.
I guess the pearl look version is probably made the exact same way.

Last edited:
I like mine all chrome looking. Unique I guess.

•••••••••••••••

I like mine all chrome looking. Unique I guess.

•••••••••••••••

I went ahead and peeled the other side off, and I really love it like this as well. It reminds me of my grandmother's silver Christmas tree I've seen pictures of, and other pseudo futuristic things from the 50's like the Whitney wolverine .22 pistol.

Back