I have some thin steel

I have some thin steel maybe 1/8" thick and 3' long. I want to make a Machete out of this but want to heat treat it, so it is tough. I do not have a kiln and am a beginner. Any help would be appreciated.
Also would it be sufficient to heat treat it in the oven at about 500 degrees? or would it require more? Do I heat treat it before I shape it or after?

Last edited:
Is this just a random bar of metal? If so then it won't make a machete or a knife or anything.

Read the stickies posted here and watch the video by Walter sorrels about making a machete

The bar may not be steel that can be hardened. Unless you know the steel type, it will just be a machete shaped object.

HT requires temperatures around 1500F, so a kitchen oven won't work. For a knife, a large torch can be used on some steels, but a machete would be nearly impossible with a torch. After hardening, the blade is tempered, which is around 400F. That can be done in the kitchen oven.

Read the stickys and they will tell you a lot more about HT and making a knife.

For what it's worth, it'll cost a lot more to make a machete than to buy a typical one. I'd recommend getting some proper steel, and making a small knife to start with. After doing a couple of those, then try a machete if you still want to.

I spent 2 years researching terminology, materials, steel composition/Heat Treating, designing aspects and How To's before I EVER tried to make a blade. Then I started making 4" long blades and continued to what I do now. Not is not wise to start with a large blade. And RESEARCH is your best friend. This Forum, YouTube, Google.....these are a wealth of knowledge from professionals who KNOW the craft inside & out. Do this and I promise, you will be able to make any blade you wish.

And to be clear, I'm not saying you MUST spend two years researching. That is simply the time I spent. I'm just stressing that research is a must!

I have some thin steel maybe 1/8" thick and 3' long. I want to make a Machete out of this but want to heat treat it, so it is tough. I do not have a kiln and am a beginner. Any help would be appreciated.
Also would it be sufficient to heat treat it in the oven at about 500 degrees? or would it require more? Do I heat treat it before I shape it or after?
As first cut small piece from that steel and try to HT to see did will hardened ..

I have 4 of these 48' long pieces, so I may try that. Although I think they may be too thin, but I will try that, thanks a lot guys for your input. I also have one more question, would I be able to make a living as a Blacksmith? If I were to go to a Blacksmithing School?

Can you make a living? Depends on where you live and what you intend to build with your new skills. Ornamental items if you can produce enough at a reasonable price might work. I don't have to rely on making knives to pay the bills it's a tough business so I think you will find many makers have a regular source of income. Blacksmithing is a Niche profession do some research in your area find a local blacksmith see if he will let you come around and see how and what he produces to make a living.

I am not a blacksmith. I am a knife maker. I can say that there will always be a market for custom knives. Knife lovers are interesting because they can never have enough.

Few Smiths can make a living at it. If they do, its pretty lean.
The only steady viable market for smithing is art/ornamental work which is a fickle and regional customer base and very much at the whim of economic turns.

Few Smiths can make a living at it. If they do, its pretty lean.
The only steady viable market for smithing is art/ornamental work which is a fickle and regional customer base and very much at the whim of economic turns.

A SMART Smith will spend his day producing "Damascus Pattern Welded" Billets to sell to Knifemakers that can't manufacture their own Damascus.
I'm guilty of being a Maker who buys custom Damascus...:eek::eek:

Back