I need help with a d*#n coyote

Coyotes even know when dogs are tied , or penned up. This guy unchains his after losing many cats out of his yard and they kill one , bring it back and eat it.

[video=youtube;8Lq5wBAAKnM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lq5wBAAKnM[/video]

i've seen wild boar, wild dogs, even domestic dogs and cats lie down after being hit, breathing heavily. they're not dying, like true warriors they're summoning their last reserves of strength for one last rush. when approached, they either get up and bolt, or attack with terrifying speed.

You all are great. 50 minds are better than one. I love your all's insight. I held off from posting here for a while but I'm glad I finally did. Let me add a little more to the mix.

Back in the fall, I built a kitty enclosure. 10'x7'x7' tall. It has a "cat walk" around the top and a tree angled from the ground to the top cat walk so they can climb and sharpen their claws. They like it but it's not the same. My wife calls it, Stalag 13. So, no threat of losing another kitty. I just kinda wanted revenge.

I do live in Ohio and I would contact the ODNR first. I know at least that I would need a Hunting license. This is not something that I would be going into willy-nilly. If so, I would of done it last fall.

I have watched a lot of videos and realize catching one in a Have-a-Heart type trap would be extremely difficult. First of all, the cheap traps don't work well. The coyotes can sometimes get out of them. But here's what I was thinking. I have a smaller raccoon sized one and can catch one of those any night I wanted to. If it ever would turn cold again, camo the trap a tad, make a slight V going into it with brush, and bait it with a partially gutted coon? I'd have to think on a night with temps in the lower to mid teens, that ol coon would look pretty good? Thoughts?

Coyotes are opportunists, so....., that might work. Or, with that gutted coon and a cheap distress call, you might get an ambush shot with your air-rifle. Coyotes have a keen sense of smell, and fresh blood might present an irresistible temptation. Good Hunting!!!

If you want to take up yote hunting, then do so, its a different thing than just popping out a trap or two. If you have one yote, you have many. That's just life. As for anyone who wants to intentionally gut shoot anything for any reason, well, what goes around comes around.

I don't think you have a choice. You're going to have to go Rambo. No other way

Ferrel / stray / loose housecats are a worse problem that coyotes. :grumpy:

Thanks guys. I don't think I said I was going to hunt them with an air rifle or gut shoot anything. Lets slow down here. I said POSSIBLY trap. I don't think I want to invest that kind of $$$ in an air rifle. I figure they'd be at least $500? Forget it. I still have to get with the ODNR.

My biggest concern if you try any type of bait trap is you're very likely to trap a neighborhood dog or another kitty. The downsides to this are many, but the most unpleasant one would be an easy catch for a yote. I would bait and wait personally, but I wouldn't bait and trap as your chances of catching something else just seem too high for what you are describing.

Coyotes have been up in my front yard the last 3 nights, eating a road killed doe they drug up there. My fenced in dogs went crazy to get at them, especially the black and tan hound. Glad they finally ate enough of it they could drag what remained off. I thought about getting up and trying to shoot one, but I have no cats and my dogs are up so I just let them dispose of the deer for me.

Amoo, if I decide to pursue this, as stated in the beginning, I'll be using a Have-a-Heart type trap. In the event I do catch a stray or beloved dog or cat, how can the coyote get to them? I would NEVER....EVER use a leg hold trap for fear of mangling Fluffy or Fido. If it came down to that, I would simply quit. I realize the coyote would need to be dispatched if caught, but as I said, I don't want to make somebodies beloved pet lose a limb or their life. That's what I'd be trying to stop in the first place.

A trap like that will cost around 300 dollars, the kind with a live bait compartment will likely be the only one that may work. Don't buy a cheap one like Tractor Supply sells, for around 150, as all I've heard about them is the coyotes push out of the weak door. It's going to be hard to catch a coyote in any of them though and even if you do, you're going to find there's dozens left out there, that will never go in any live trap.

Amoo, if I decide to pursue this, as stated in the beginning, I'll be using a Have-a-Heart type trap. In the event I do catch a stray or beloved dog or cat, how can the coyote get to them? I would NEVER....EVER use a leg hold trap for fear of mangling Fluffy or Fido. If it came down to that, I would simply quit. I realize the coyote would need to be dispatched if caught, but as I said, I don't want to make somebodies beloved pet lose a limb or their life. That's what I'd be trying to stop in the first place.

Yeah dude, totally down with the have a heart thing, wasn't suggesting otherwise. I just know coyotes can and have gotten into traps of all sorts and removed what was once an otherwise healthy and unsuspecting curious critter. Definitely do a ton of research on the trap if you go that route.

Tomahawk live trap makes the best traps, much better than Havahart. Last Havahart I bought was junk.

have to agree about keeping cats indoors. Just about any predatory animal can/will kill a cat. Not only that but cats dont just kill the pesky rodents, they kill all the little birds, rabbits, insects, and amphibians on your property too...they really are not part of the natural environment. Plus they track in fleas, ticks, and other parasites too....Ive come to realize all this after having had outdoor cats for the better part of 30 years. just have a couple cute little indoor cats is the best solution

Free roaming cats are said to destroy more birds and small mammals than any other cause besides habitat loss, caused by humans.

The few studies I've read stated that whitetail deer kill more song birds than any other animal. (in wild areas not in towns as in suburbs, reread and had to add this)

Yep, deer, I didn't believe it either, seems they eat them out of the nest in the spring and summer as they eat around the edges of fields and fence line.

Odds of anyone catching a coyote in a live trap is slim to none, if the snare is set properly it's very specific as to what you catch.
Easier to just keep the cat away from the coyote than the coyote away from the cat.

Last edited:
I read deer eat the underbrush and the songbirds have no place to nest. The deer have also drawn, deer flies, coyotes and even mt. lions are being seen now. Collisions with vehicles are common at least one in my area resulting in the driver's death. None of these were present before the state began reintroducing whitetail deer back in the 1960s.

theres video of them eating them out of the nests, actually standing up to reach them. if it was a nesting thing they would just move up higher.

no idea what state your in because its not under your join date, not sure what the deer flies have to do with the deer other than the name.

There wasn't any around hardly at all, when deer where absent and as the population grew so did the deer fly population.

I looked up what you said about the deer eating baby birds and only found they eat the undergrowth away, from birds that nest in low thick brush. Some birds don't nest higher up. I didn't find where they actually eat baby birds. If you know of that I am not disputing you, just I didn't find information on it. You could always link it here if you like.

Back