If you were MacGyver, what SAK would you bring?

A Classic, or better yet, Rambler. That's to supplement his Wave, the multi-tool he should be carrying these days. Remember, the series was filmed BL*

*before Leatherman

Remember that McGyver normally used the smaller 2 layer models of victorinox in a very minimalistic way. Often just a 74 mm model like the executive. Normally no pliers.
Should he use a leatherman the P4 or maybe juice KF4 or S2 is choser to his style.

Remember that McGyver normally used the smaller 2 layer models of victorinox in a very minimalistic way. Often just a 74 mm model like the executive. Normally no pliers.
Should he use a leatherman the P4 or maybe juice KF4 or S2 is choser to his style.

Good point.

But I think you are right about what he SHOULD use. Give him a LM Wave and a smart phone and each episode would end within 10 minutes 😝

But where's the fun in that? It's always more suspenseful when someone struggles with the wrong tool. ;)

I think I would choose the one that works best for the particular show. It's TV remember? Need a file? Need a scissors? Need phillips screw driver? and on and on.... ;)

But where's the fun in that? It's always more suspenseful when someone struggles with the wrong tool. ;)

I spent lots of time trying to pick a lock with the awl on my SAKs or BSA knives when I was a kid because Mac could do it. Never got one open though.

I spent lots of time trying to pick a lock with the awl on my SAKs or BSA knives when I was a kid because Mac could do it. Never got one open though.

The awl on my Pioneer used to open the cheap locks on my truck tool boxes....put padlocks on after that.

Remember there was an episode where a woman that was hired to scare macgyver off used a leatherman. So, leatherman use is evil! Just kidding, I own some of those too.

OMG I want an Alox Huntsman ... but as there's nothing like it in the Vic line ... so, I'd say either a Huntsman if cellidor or a Farmer if alox ... :)

OT: I'm curious if this thread is tooooo dead lol ...

With the new MacGyver series he also can't make up his mind on which one to use. He has been using different models plus used some version of a Evolution that a wrench on it to stop a bomb from going off.

i dunno if its ethical to discuss the virtues of the new Mac in this an old mac thread.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6ajjtykZMnM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lyozoNsnDtY
especially about the mysterious on screen SAKs
in what is now the post wenger age
muddled up with stuff thrown in from the Victorinox Delemont collection.
Can someone please beg the show's producers to come up
with the definitive SAK episode which puts everything to final rest
showing in slow mo, Mac's secret hidden wall SAK armory rack.
Maybe even make it the series signature scene
seeing how Mac decides on his mission SAK of preference
before the start of every adventurous outing.

Last edited:
If I were MacGyver I would only use some leatherman type tool. That way I wouldn't hear, "Oh you got yourself one of those MacGyver knives?" every time I pull my Swiss Champ out of my pocket.

O.B.

Back