I'm usually a Becker fan

This is weird. I usually buy Kabar(Becker series), bk2 is my all time fave thus far. I have a great collection of knives of some of the best, here is the thing though. I just started getting into Ontario products especially rat series now. It started with rat 1 and rat 2 folders which I must admit turned into my edc knives past several months. So I figured wth, I was happy with them folders, so I did some research, I nearly bought an esee 6 and junglas, but many people who did testing etc were saying the rat series is just as good, so this am I ordered rat 7, and rtak 2, I have rat 1 and 2 which I love, I ordered a rat 3 a month ago which I believe is as good maybe even better than my bk14. I must say I've been impressed with Ontario. Many people told me back off from esee and get these, they said too much money for jus better sheath and coating. Coating isn't factor for me due to stripping it off my knives anyway. I maintain them well. I jus hope one of these two could give at a decade of use like my tank BK2 has done. My question is did I make right decision? I purchased Rat 7 with green handle I got it for 70.00 with tax and shipping (amazon still has them for 69.50 on their site as we speak)and rtak2 I got for 91.00 with tax and shipping so altogether I spent under 164.00 for these two. I just hope I made the right decision. Basically I'm looking for advice what to do with these and what not to. Bk2 was easy can do whatever whenever, actually all my backers are tanks imo. Just wanna if any nuances I need to know or avoid. If I'm happy with these I will purchase rat 5 for shits and giggles.

Well... *I* think you made the right decision, but I suppose I kind of have to think that. Let's see what others think. Either way, thank you for coming over to our side of that fence, we stand by our knives with a lifetime warranty. Of course, the plan is that you'd never have to use that. Welcome to the family.

I'm extremely happy thus far. Rtak 2 has perfect handles for me. I know some complained but I'm 6"2 265lbs with large hands so it jus felt perfect. I'm tapping into so series next I went into a shop and held sp-43 and I loved it so light as well this is gonna be my edc fixed blade. Will order next payday after making rat knive purchases. Life time warranty is great, as a consumer that means company backs their products up knowing it's high quality thank you and I'm happy to have found another brand that is high quality.

In my opinion you did very well. Ontario does a fabulous job with their 1095 and 5160 carbon steels! Feel no remorse friend!

Hey Thomas,

Welcome to the Ontario Family.
I am in a unique position as I have worked for both companies. I have nothing but good memories and respect for KA-BAR/Becker. Ethan is still a friend and one of my favorite people.
Now I am with Ontario and we are doing some really cool things; not only with products but with the way we manufacture and think about what a company should be.
Hang on! The ride is getting exciting. We want to continue to embrace the small family values and atmosphere of the company but we also want to embrace new hard and human technologies and move the company strongly into the new Millennium.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
VP of Engineering
Ontario Knife Company

You will find OKC products are VERY handy, good quality with a DANG (See I didn't use the other D word!) GOOD Warranty!
My experience started with the SP-10, great Bowie, great price and it functions as my beater blade that has never been beat! My only complaint with all most SP line is lack of a good thumping and wumping hilt. But for what you get for that price its easy to over look!

Then I went SP-51 Crazy... that thick saber grind 5160 hunk of steel... I've done things to my first knife that I'm sure that would of broken my SP-10... that made me a bit of a 5160 fan you might say. Yes same rant as no thumping and whumping hilt, but man its performance really makes that a secondary consideration. I got 4 total, hearing they were sunseted I wanted to have replacements for thinks like if canoe goes over or the nieces charm me out of them... I like the straight blade for when in the wilderhood expeditions for easier blade maintenance for a straight blade if its ever needed.

SP-53s I got I use for car and general trail clearing as they are the best choppers and all round use of all OKC big blades I find. I got a SP-8 for car keeping as its tool looking not a "BFK" if some one looks in my car when I'm in da big city.

For Middling sized knives I went RANGER crazy. The 5160 1/4" spine even if a FFG covers about all general purpose knife use, from Bushy stuff to Botaning Tyranical Botanicals! A dang great heavy use knife! WITH A THUMPING AND WHUMPING HILT! I generally use an RD7 for one knife duty when on leisure outings. But oddly the RD Tanto (Still in production) has been turning out to be a good heavy use middling blade with its saberish grind (Liked it so much I got another). It size makes it a great batoner when needed also. RD6s (Still in production) good a an RD7 but only an inch shorter, I pair them with an SP-51 or SP-53 (and a good folding lock back and sharpener) when doing expeditioning by car, canoe or foot. My RD4 is in the hunting pack gear, TFI have to admit got to many others to let it find its place yet. RTAK is 3/16th 1095 but got a saber grind, I selected that over a RAT because of it. I did get an RD9 for my big FFG blade over the RTACK II because of the 1/4" spine and a better THUMPING AND WHUMPING hilt!

As you can see OKC has a good selection of AWESOME products that can fit your "Flavor" or needs with a FANTASTIC WARRANTY! I had a few lemons that OKC replaced with proper good quality blades! I use my knives hard and so far haven't had to use their warranty for the way I use them...yet! KA-BAR says if you broke it Batoning yer out of luck for example.

For Disclosure I did get two BK 2/22 companions for a few specific needs where the shorter HEAVY 5" saber grind on a tough knife would be needed. And they do fit my idea of a nice tough knife. I think I got enough other knives to cover about every thing now.

*Wonders if THUMPING AND WHUMPING hilt hint got noticed*

Back