Inexpensive large survival-camp-shtf knife

^^^ So true.
I'll never stop being amazed but he ways knife guys find to use knives for the most decidedly un-knife-like tasks.
Not being critical of it at all. I'm exactly the same.

That is usually how you break 'em. Actually cutting that table with the laminated plywood would be really hard to do with a knife and probably took considerable force to accomplish.

People love those knives and they really aren't a bad choice for a survival knife. The Condor rep told me they sell the crap out of them.

wow, we are scraping the bottom of the barrel. OP should get the best blade he can for his budget, not a bunch of cheap azz chinese junk.

My comment wasn't meant as an actual suggestion, just commenting on the use of the word "inexpensive" in the title. It is totally subjective of course, most of my blades are in the $100-$150 range and that's generally where I max out, but some people have no issue spending multiple hundreds or even thousands on high end stuff and that's great.

In short, for me inexpensive= ~$20. For $150 it better be damn good, especially since I've seen how much the bottom of the barrel can really do.

The OP can basically have his pick from production blades in that size. I would look at the Junglas, BK9, RTAK II, RD-9, or the Browning Competition Cutter someone else mentioned, except that I have a couple "inexpensive" large blades already and found that, for me, they easily handled anything I threw at them. I also found that most of the time I'd rather have a 4-5" fixed blade and my 14" Tramontina than a chopper, but people's uses and needs vary widely and ymmv.

That is usually how you break 'em. Actually cutting that table with the laminated plywood would be really hard to do with a knife and probably took considerable force to accomplish.

People love those knives and they really aren't a bad choice for a survival knife. The Condor rep told me they sell the crap out of them.

That sledge is 8 lbs, so that helped drive it through the plywood. But yes it was hard. That wasn't the only knife I used to break down that big spool

Oh and yeah, I could have used a circular saw, but what I did is very therapeutic ;).

Last edited:
Back