Information from Instagram and Facebook!

Here's to good news, cooperative materials in the shop and many, many orders going out in 2017!

wr8A9V9.png

Wbcsxm1.png

gzhQYBK.png

I used to work in composites (a long time ago at a university far far away) and based on the composition information that I have (from the manufacturers of the named handle composite materials) the G10 and the Micarta should not suffer from exactly the same curing problem. G10 is an epoxy composite, Micarta is a phenolic resin composite. They do not cure by the same chemistry or at the same rates.
At least one knife manufacturer (namely Spyderco but there could be others) has chosen to stop using Micarta (on all except one model) because of dimensional stability problems, but have not reported similar problems with G10.
If this is true for Survive as well (and please chime in if you have different information) then they could simply shift to microtextured G10 (which has a lot of the same grip properties as smooth finished Micarta) and eliminate the problem.
This doesn't fix the current problem (due to the thousands of knife handles that Survive has in inventory and will probably want to salvage) but it could save trouble for future runs.
Alternatively they could place in inventory sheets of composite handle materials while they cure, but this obviously requires additional effort.

I saw that instagram photo of the handle issues, and inwardly groaned. You guys know me and the handles I make. I can attest to the fact that those little blemishes represent a lot of work to get them to come out right. It is not a matter of just sanding it flush to the steel and sending it. Making it flush creates a flat spot, and if you study a handle Guy makes, there are no flat spots, only curves. A flat spot can be felt (it actually feels like a divot). You have to take it back a ways from the problem area and blend it properly. On textured material it is impossible to see and has to mostly be felt, and it is truly painstaking.

Now, I love working out the fit and finish on a set of handles, one set at a time. But I'm telling you, that photo is a LOT OF WORK.

And with Guy's drive for perfection you know it aint getting out until its just right!

Now I need to check my orders and see if anything in the picture matches one of mine. :)

I wonder if those numbers on the tape are order numbers?

Yep, the lanyards are our way of keeping track of orders. This is especially important now that we are shaping handles and building before sharpening. The orders are getting specified blades much sooner than before. The new problem from that change is with changed orders, there have been a few that were finished but didn't match up in the final check so they had to get sent to the back of the line. Otherwise, it has been a much more efficient system.

Updates:

17076597_1846723452248854_8237803911461732352_n.jpg

surviveknives Attention all OLD SPEC GSO-4.1 owners: Always wanted a high quality Sagewood Gear leather sheath but never got around to it? Well you're in luck because we're blowing out our remaining stock for just $90! This price includes the drop loop attachment pictured, as well as standard ground shipping. These sheaths are fully ambidextrous, for left or right handed carry, in a number of configurations. These won't last long, so grab one while you can. #surviveknives #sagewoodgear #springcleaning

thebradevans1978 Will these fit the S7?

surviveknives@thebradevans1978 Yep, these will fit any of the old spec GSO-4.1's, in S7, M-390, CPM-20CV, CPM-3V or CPM-S90V.

17125364_442142786126704_976077278461034496_n.jpg

surviveknives Out with the old, in with the new! We just picked up our freshly machined rotary platen wheels, specifically designed to fit our true 2" wide rotary platen belts. These new wheels are a high precision part, with optimized groove pitch, depth and spacing for the best rotary platen belt support possible.
With the wheels currently on our machines absolutely SHOT, we figured it was time to finally improve the existing design and take care of some issues that cause us headaches and decrease our efficiency in the shop.
These new wheels, combined with our true 2" wide platen belt solve a few issues that I've experienced with the factory KMG style rotary platen attachment. The consistent, high precision machining and rounded edges means smoother running and less wear on the rotary platen belt, for longer belt and wheel life. This also translates into better grinding belt tracking, since the platen belt isn't being pulled around by sometimes misaligned wheel grooves. Perhaps the biggest benefit of a true 2" wide rotary platen belt is having your grinding belt 100% supported. This is especially helpful with heavily used or lightweight grinding belts, where the belt edges tend to curl if unsupported.
The next thing we're working on is an improved rotary platen attachment... So right now, to those people who already own or might be interested in a rotary grinding platen for your grinder, would you be interested in seeing these rotary platen wheels and belts offered as a replacement/upgrade? Would you be interested in an entire SURVIVE! rotary platen attachment? Let us know what you think!

#survive #surviveknives #surviveinnovation #neverstopimproving #rotaryplaten #knifegrinding #knifemaking

^^^ I REALLY don't need that sheath.... I really DON'T need sheath... I really don't NEED that sheath.

Cripes... I REALLY WANT THAT SHEATH!!

^^^ I REALLY don't need that sheath.... I really DON'T need sheath... I really don't NEED that sheath.

Cripes... I REALLY WANT THAT SHEATH!!

Yeah right!! Just order one before they go away, so you won't have to say "I really DID need that sheath!!!"

Back