Information on USN KA-BAR sought.

I found this Kabar covered by dirt, under a house about 20 years ago. I just recently came across it again in my garage and was going to use it as a camping / utility knife. I tried Googling it as USN KABAR and found my way to this forum. I have not found much info with its specific configuration.

Unless it is of significant value ($100.00 or more) and better off with a collector, I will use it as a working knife.

The specifics are:

7 inch blade

5 inch handle

Blade in marked with KA-BAR on the left side only.

The blade side of the guard is marked USN on the left and right sides.

There are no other markings on the knife

I am no expert, but the blade appears to be blued like a gun finish, though I may be wrong.

No sheath.

Handle appears to be leather washers.

Condition is good and looks to be unmolested and in original condition.

Any information and value is appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg

IMG_2164.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

Looks similar to a WW2 that I used to run around with as a kid, but that had the sheath..

Seen them go for ballpark of 200$ in worse condition leather handles with the sheath on Ebay, bc well, you can really do whatever you want on Ebay as long as someone wants to buy it right?

I would use it if I were you and not worry about hurting that solid steel workhorse.

I wish that I could get my hands on the one I had as a kid just to use the heck out of, I love that knife and it seems just, more solid than the modern ones.

If you really want some info on it, I'd suggest posting in the AskTooj section, I gather that he's great with that kinda of stuff, giving dates and specks, and keeps up with the post:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/872443-Ask-Toooj

WWII USN KA-BAR with peened on butt cap. Condition appairs to be fair. Sheath would have been green fiberglass.

The combination of both blade marking and guard marking is unusual. Also I'm not personally familiar with the US/USN marking on the guard. It doesn't show up as an example in my reference material. Maybe Toooj can clear this up. If not I'd recommend posting this on usmilitariaforum.com as there are several members with large collections of the various 1219C2 pattern knives.

CJGK,

Welcome. You have a WWII KA-BAR USN Mk II. Your version is a mid to late generation (1943-44). The peened rectangular tang and the stamping on both the ricasso and guard are the hallmarks of that generation. Is there a gray fiberglass sheath? That adds value.
We don't give out pricing. That's between seller and buyer.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Thanks Toooj. I've never seen the US stamped on the guard of a KA-BAR. But the combination of blade stamped and guard stamped knives aren't that common either. I'm used to seeing the KA-BARs guard stamped with "KA-BAR" where the US is stamped on this guard, but then this knife already has KA-BAR on the blade. I have seen the guard being sterile on this side of the guard. On the other side of the guard I've seen both USN stamped as well as two lines showing USN/ Mk2.

I have one in similar condition. At best, with sheath, it would probably go for 60-75 bucks. Too many out there. I use mine. Durable as any knife you'll find. Great knife. Do it a favor and keep it working.

CJGK,

Welcome. You have a WWII KA-BAR USN Mk II. Your version is a mid to late generation (1943-44). The peened rectangular tang and the stamping on both the ricasso and guard are the hallmarks of that generation. Is there a gray fiberglass sheath? That adds value.
We don't give out pricing. That's between seller and buyer.
Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Paul Tsujimoto
Sr Eng
Prod Dev and Qual
KA-BAR Knives

Thanks for great info Toooj! There is no sheath. No problem with pricing as it doesn’t sound like it’s a rarity or going to break $100.00 in value. I just didn’t want to start using it if it had any real collector value.

I have one in similar condition. At best, with sheath, it would probably go for 60-75 bucks. Too many out there. I use mine. Durable as any knife you'll find. Great knife. Do it a favor and keep it working.

AHHHHHHHH Yeauuhh! :D That knife was built to work. I love it, hope to one day reclaim one for myself!

Thanks for all the info guys. That’s exactly what I’ll do is use it as an outdoors and utility knife. I found reproduction leather sheaths online so I’ll order one and make use it.

I like the knife. It has character and good looks too. I’m sure it will serve me well. Thanks again!

Man, it is simply amazing where these knives turn up.

Under houses, in cabinets, pantries, attics, car trunks, everywhere....

Gawd I love that. :D

I even heard a story from a guy that was tearing drywall out of a house and found one in the wall.....

Talk about hidden treasures.

Moose

CJGK,
I sent an e-mail to Frank Trzaska, (he runs usmilitaryknives.com), regarding your knife because I was very curious about the markings. This is the reply he sent me a little while ago.

“Nice piece. It is a very hard to find knife and almost unknown to most collectors. It is not listed in any of the current knife books like Cole or Silvey. This is a transition knife moving from the blade markings to the guard markings, the first in the series. Not worth a whole lot because most folks do not know it exists. I am certain most military collectors probably need this version they just don’t know it exists.
All the best
Frank Trzaska”

As Thomas Linton and myself have already suggested I would post this knife and it’s pictures over on the “edged weapons” sub-forum over at usmilitariaforum.com. With this note from Frank I’am quite sure it will generate interest.
Yes even without a sheath I would think your knife would be worth more than your threshold price for not using this knife.

Thanks sac troop for the information. I'll post it on usmilitariaforum.com and see what the response is.

I would consider replacing the leather handle on there with either new stacked leather or canvas micarta. Oils will get into that old leather and it will eat away at your tang over time, causing the parts and blade to get rusty and eventually pit. I would use the finest steel wool you can get, go over that pommel to get that rust off. (If you arent too worried about taking away a little finish, it will just expose steel. You could always refinish, it is better than the rust. Trust me.) After, spray the entire knife with rem-oil or your cleaner of choice (I wouldn't advise useing anything else for leather but balistol. That product walks on water.) and wipe down with a clean rag, then weather coat the entire knife. I use oil that leaves a layer of silicon (not visible) behind for the leather handles, it keeps the oils/moisture in the handle in check. Beautiful example of a WW2 era M2. Great find. If you ever consider selling this one, I am very interested. :thumbup:

While at a pawn shop recently, a guy came in wanting to pawn a Kabar. The owner had no interest so I bought it from him. It is identical to the one pictured and is in a brown leather sheath. I found this site and thread while looking for info on the knife. Pure luck because i can't find anything else on this variation. Thanks for the info and anything aditional would be appreciated.

Back