Inherited a kukhri from my grandfather, any pros want to help with identification?

J0I

*Realised i might be in the wrong sub forum, dont really know how to remove a thread so im sorry for the inconviniense*

Hello, as is says in the title i just inherited a kuhkri from my grandfather and was wondering if anyone could help with identification? I obviously dont know alot about the knifes but I want to know what it is as a proud new owner of one! So anyone have any idea from what era in time its from? Any specific name I should use for it? Something like a dui chirra kuhkri, if that has to do with the extra ridge it has in the middle of the blade?

I know it was bought in the 1980 in Katmandu and has no marks or writing on it at all but thats about it. Here are some pictures of the blade it also comes with an all black leather scabbard. Thanks in advance!

https://goo.gl/photos/HsY9Bjvi8cdEnWwT8

https://goo.gl/photos/sbYnmmE83CepBp7F9

https://goo.gl/photos/62jbjDr3NaQ6gFh69

Last edited:
JOI,

I can' really help ya, it looks like it has a lot of HI characteristics but I think they were always marked. I could be wrong.

There are lots of khukri's made in that region obviously, everything from tourist junk to HI of the heap quality.

That certainly looks like a very good one.

Hopefully someone wiser than I (ok, that's just about everybody here) will come along with some useful information.
The fact that it came from your grandfather makes it priceless in my book regardless.

Enjoy.

I'm far less knowledgeable than most people in this sub-forum, but here's my take :

Normally if a tourist brings home a kukri, it's probably a tourist-grade kukri : poorly made, and suited only to be displayed on your wall. That said, there are a lot of sure-fire signs of a tourist kukri, and yours doesn't have any that I can see. I think there's a decent chance you've got a good-quality blade on your hands.

Looks better than mine. This is a typical tourist trade knife. Yours looks a lot cleanerand less fancy so it may have been made for actual use.
kukuri_zps8xlrwect.jpg

Thanks for your replies! I agree it is invaluable always fun to know what you've got though :)

I kinda feel lika he would have been the person to go out of his way to find something that is part of the culture so you guys might be onto something with the made to use idea

It looks a lot like HI's. Maybe it's one that didn't get marked or something.

Makes it very hard to tell anything for sure.

It looks a lot like HI's. Maybe it's one that didn't get marked or something.

Makes it very hard to tell anything for sure.

Or by a kami who later worked for HI but not recruited when that was made. Or like Sgt Khadka blades rarely marked. Or read about some trips scouting for kami's where Bill picked up occasional quality khuk for HI, so other good work has been out there, just not consistent as what we all know and love at HI.

Last edited:
"dui chirra" (2 fullers) khukuri.

Could you post a picture of the scabbard? Quality blades often come in a quality scabbard.

It appears to be pretty well made. It is a finished piece not villager finished so it was not intended for local use. But as has been pointed out above there are many variations of blades made in Nepal. One interesting thing that could be telling about it's original purpose is a picture of it with a fairly normal sized westerner hand. The HI models handles are all larger than normal to fit western sized hands.

I am not too sure, and I think it best to defer to the pros.

It doesn't look like a tourist one to me. Looks like a Dui Chirra blade, could be HI, but I don't think so, not too sure why, but it's a gut feeling. Looks like a quality blade though.

Back