Inova XO2 LED light - YOWZA!!!

RokJok

Gold Member
Costco had the Inova XO2 flashlight for $23 each, so I grabbed one to check it out. Some pics & specs at: http://www.brightguy.com/products/Inova_XO2_LED_Flashlight.php

Up to this point I've been something of a higher-watt LED Luddite. Other than some Inova XMT5's in a box I haven't unpacked (and can't find) from the last move, the brightest LED light I had is a Nite-Ize 3-LED conversion for a Maglite 2AA body. The Nite-Ize unit was brighter than the incandescent bulb that came with the Maglite originally and I was decently impressed with its performance on some lithium AA's. The downside was that the switch broke and to turn the light on/off I have to unscrew the endcap and flip around the end battery in the light's body.

The 2-watt LED and reflector design in the Inova XO2 is a quantum leap up in beam reach from the Mini-mag. With the Inova I can light up my garden shed (painted light pastel yellow) from about 150 feet away on a night with light rain. The first afternoon I got it, as a test I shone it off a mirror into my eyes. Bad move! I had spots dancing in my vision for a while after that stunt. ;) :D

Of course, the XO2 is running a pair of CR123 lithium batteries, so it's not really "apples to apples" comparing the power of the Minimag 2-AA (3V) to the XO2 (6V).

Nonetheless, I like the Inova's rugged body and brightness. It's only a little larger and heavier, making it only nominally less pocketable, than the Mini-mag. I also like that they made the lanyard hole LARGE enough to easily accept 550 paracord or 3mm climbing cord. The Mini-mag has a very tiny lanyard hole that barely accepts mason's line for cord. :(

Downsides of the XO2:

- round bezel and endcap allow it to roll on a table, in spite of the faceted body on the unit. This unit is VERY prone to rolling = Bad news!!

- turning the unit "on" requires cranking the rotating bezel almost all the way down to the stopped position (cranked down tight). According to the instruction sheet that came with the light, the design spec is to have the unit go into intermittent mode with 1/2 rotation from full-down (ON) position and to go into full off mode with 1 full rotation from the full-down position.

However, the XO2 I got requires less than 1/8 of a rotation to turn the light off and go into intermittent mode (light off, turns on while tail-switch is pressed). The full off position kicks in with 1 full rotation from the full down position, so that part is right. I'm afraid with a little use the light will eventually not enter the constant on mode, even with the bezel cranked all the way down. Time will tell.

Overall, I like the XO2 quite well and it immediately became my EDC pocket light.

RokJok, if you're really into LED lights, you should check out this site:
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/
It has everything you ever wanted to know about LED flashlights.
I carried an Inova X-5 until I found the Fenix brand. They are absolutely
reliable and range from 10 to 135 lumens, depending on model. They have one of the best "AA" powered flashlight on the market in the L1 series.IMHO.
Paw through this site and you'll probably find a half dozen you can't live without. It's worth the read.

I have the XO2 and the T5 both are excellent lights built like a tank with exceptional beam brightness and characteristics IMHO.

I've heard stories of some of the cheapie China made lights causing their lithium batteries to explode. Is this an issue with either of these lights? I would love to het a hipo LED with lithium primaries but don't want to break the bank on a Surefire or have a grenade go off in my pocket.

I like the Inovas. And no, Rich, they aren't cheapie quality at all. I've never heard a quality complaint about Inova. I've got 4 or 5 inovas and they're great. You could literally drive your car over it and still have a working light.

My only complaint about this light is the lens. Means you get a spot with no spill. I like a light that spills, ie lights a room ambiently as well as has a nice spot.

I bought one of the X02 from Costco..., about a month back. I did a post on that in AR15 and Frugal Squirrel..., I was "YOWZA", too, when I bought that for $23 when Brightguy was $49 :cool: !!!

Nice flashlight; well made, but not "killer" bright. I think the brightest LED flashlight I've found is the one in Sam's, when has a AAA Element flashlight they sell for approx. $27 for two flashlights.

Costco's $23 price on the Inova XO2 LED flashlight is excellent. Due to the Luxeon LED used, there is a variation in tint so we "hand picked" an XO2 while still in the store.

I added a 550 paracord pigtail and section of bicycle inner tube to make the XO2 easier to grip.

xo2-customized.jpg

RokJok, if you're really into LED lights, you should check out this site:
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/
It has everything you ever wanted to know about LED flashlights.
I carried an Inova X-5 until I found the Fenix brand. They are absolutely
reliable and range from 10 to 135 lumens, depending on model. They have one of the best "AA" powered flashlight on the market in the L1 series.IMHO.
Paw through this site and you'll probably find a half dozen you can't live without. It's worth the read.

Cool. Based upon your post, followed by some research, I ordered a Fenix L1T tonight off Amazon for $42.99.

I find the trade-off is always Power vs. Overall duration.

I got the PrincetonTec Attitude for some basic close up light, but, mostly for the insane duration time. (up to 150 hours).

Now I'm looking for something with more ass in the Lumens department, but, still with some decent duration time.
I figure I'll use the 72 hour outing or 3 days 3 nights as a baseline to shoot for.
So, something that can give 3 nights worth of heavy usage, let's say 15, maybe 20 hours worth of duration.

Oh, and AA's or AAA's

Suggestions?

Back