Installing Inlays In Wood

I am a traditional 18th - 19th century American gunsmith and have built guns from scratch, without store bought parts, or electricity since 1974. Check out my website if you wish. Quite often my rifles have inlays on them made from brass, German silver, Sterling silver (and coins), and gold. Once in a blue moon, steel or iron.

There are a few Himalayan Imports knives in various styles that have inlays on the handles and many of you'd like to do something similar. Here, in a nut shell, is a brief treatise on how to do this at home, at low cost (no Bawanna, you don't have to pawn your first born male child to do this!) and with minimal tools. The photos were taken this afternoon. This is my final rifle, #400, and is being made for myself.

Step one: Make or buy the inlay you wish to install. Then drill and countersink holes for the brads that secure it. OR! Use Acraglas gunsmith grade epoxy to affix the inlay if you don't want to use nails.

Step two: Position the inlay and secure it with brads or good tape. Do not trust your pudgy fingers to hold the inlay still. Ain'ta gonna happen, bucko.

Step three: Take ye trusty X-acto knife (so sue me for not being politically correct by using a trade name) and cut around the inlay RIGHT NEXT TO THE INLAY.
30 I1.JPG
Step four: Once you have the inlay shape cut into the wood, remove the inlay. Take your little knife and recut the design in the wood to try and make it as deep as the inlay is thick. Back trench the cuts ON THE INSIDE OF THE DESIGN!! I know that sounds like a given, but there are people out there who fail to concentrate on what they're doing....in the following pic, you will see the far half of the inlay has been recut and deepened. The near side has been "back trenched". Back trenching is removing a sliver of wood, cut at about a 45 degree angle to the cut to provide relief for your gouge--so you don't bugger up the edges.
30 I2.JPG

Step five: Carefully gouge out the wood inside the outline of the inlay. The take a sharp chisel/knife and smooth the roughness out of the inlay mortise.
30 I3.JPG

Step six: Once the inlay fits snugly and very close to the surface and contour of the wood, brad the inlay to the wood to hold it for the next two hundred years. In the photo, I have made two brass brads and made the heads match the countersunk holes in the inlays--much like a machine screw.
30 I4.JPG
Step seven: File the inlay flush to the surface of the wood and dress it off with various grades of sand paper. Wipe it clean and then use water or alcohol to wet the wood surrounding the inlay. This swells the wood, closing up any tiny gaps between the wood and inlay, and allows the wood to "grip" the inlay thus making it even more secure. When dry, re-sand to your satisfaction and you're done!
30 I5.JPG
The inlays can be as simple or as complex as your skill and perseverance allows. For you Mason brothers, here's a final pic to show what I'm talking about. Visualize the image 75% smaller and then see how large the little crescents of wood are around the sun. Cheers!
25.JPG

I thought I did ok on inlays but you once again put me to shame. Yours look like the stock grew around em as they should look.

I'll keep practicing. Maybe it's the fact that I use my pudgy finger to hold it and not nails. That could be it.

I don't inlay metal very often though, might have to try that someday.

You can also use wood to be the inlay......you know those parqueted designs, such as flowers on a jewelry box lid that's made up of hundreds of different little pieces of wood? Even an HI Yin & Yang design. You can do that. Just gotta have faith, you know.

Very nice tutorial Doc. I havent tried metal or wood but I have done it (guitar inlays) with Mother of Pearl, papua, and a few other soft stone venier inlays and it aint easy. I didnt know about the wetting of the wood to swell it and Ill definitely try that next time. I put some glue underneath the inlay when I fix it and tape it down. Then I sand. Brads and screws are not an option when it comes to stone. You cant really drill and bend stone around corners easily but if the venier is thin enough it will "bend" somewhat. Very cool!

WOW!! That last pic sure shows what the tiger stripes on that wood are going to look like once it is finished. It is going to be gorgeous! And the inlays look perfect. I used something called uglu which is an heavy duty replacement for double sided tape to hold the pieces in place. That plus my fat fingers pushing them down into the adhesive keeps things pretty solid.

Back