Interstate EDC

I know most of us have a fairly specific knife/edc rotation for our typical carry around town, home, work, but what about when you go out of town? Given the differences in municipal and state knife/gun laws, do you have a specific load out you use on a road trip? Particularly if you are crossing multiple state lines.

Do you read up and have a different knife carry per state you are in? Do you just carry the smallest thing you feel comfortable with and that would most likely conform to state laws (e.g. a dragonfly 2, SAK, etc.)? Or do you just wing it and hope you aren't pulled over or stopped by a cop while carrying something that might be illegal in that jurisdiction?

Curious what people's general setups are, and I am talking about on your person (not what you would throw in a roadtrip bugout bag, etc.).

It is cities more than states that you have to watch out for. Unless I am entering a large cities with draconian laws I don't really think about it.

A Victorinox recruit or tinker will pretty much be legal everywhere in the US so that's what I'd put in my pocket if going into unknown knife carry territory.
I have to do my grocery shopping in a whole different county, but I've never checked up on the laws for said city or county because we're surrounded by orchards and farms here in my part NorCal and knowing how many farmers are likely to carry a fixed blade or buck 110 on their side I would bet there aren't any restrictions on top of statewide law. I also never looked for any additional knife restrictions when I lived around Sacramento and don't worry about any there might be when I go there now.

I typically carry a Dragonfly II on road trips, or maybe a Benchmade Mini-Grip, which has a blade length slightly below the 3" limit I've seen in quite a few areas. If driving through cities like NYC or DC, I would consider taking the knife off my person and stowing it in the first aid kit I keep in the glove box.

It's not something I worry about... I don't travel to Chicago, NYC, or commiefornia. My CCW permits are legal anywhere I travel and I figure if I'm carrying when I travel a pocket knife will be the least of their concern should anything happen.

I would be less concerned if you are simply passing through but if you are visiting a location it might be best to read up a little on their local laws. I would probably have something like a multitool or SAK on me at the least but more likely to carry a friction folder or traditional knife when unsure and concerned.

It's not something I worry about... I don't travel to Chicago, NYC, or commiefornia. My CCW permits are legal anywhere I travel and I figure if I'm carrying when I travel a pocket knife will be the least of their concern should anything happen.

But what if you need to slice something?

I usually get something with a 3" or less (usually mini-grip) and the keep it concealed, out of sight out of mind. I don't broadcast that I have one on me. I've recently picked up a few traditionals also as they come across as less threatening and I think they'll be more accepted and will cover the basic EDC tasks nearly as well.

Personally, I would have one of my edc fixed blades in the car and carry if municipal and state law permits. Otherwise, I would carry my SAK Pioneer, Dragonfly II, or Skeletool CX depending on situation. Almost always have a Micra on the keychain.

I carry a slipjoint Spyderco when in doubt.
Squeak, Pingo, Urban, or UKPK, depending on blade length of choice from 2"-3".
I have the frn handled versions with the pocket clips removed due to some areas that have rules about clipped in knives.
The frn models are super light and carry well in the bottom of the pocket.

I probably wouldn't carry an auto or anything I'd mind losing, I've only lost one knife to the police they simply confiscated it.. illegally though since it was within my rights to carry it but I didn't know any better at the time, I think as long as you avoid police contact by not driving too fast, or doing something illegally you have nothing to worry about

I drive across multiple states pretty regularly. I worked in three states and traveled through two others this week, for example, and I carried a 3.8" bladed Olamic Swish. I usually just carry whatever I like and try not to act like a moron, and that's worked pretty well.

If I really want to be be careful to not push any limits I carry a Cold Steel Tuff Lite. It's a ton of knife but still legal pretty much everywhere in the US, even in places like Boston and Chicago with odious rules. If I don't go with the Tuff Lite I usually carry one of the lesser Spyderco options in my collection--even though I think the Tuff Lite is a superior cutting tool, it seems a waste to have a zdp-189 Dragonfly just gathering dust--or an alox Cadet.

I check the laws before I travel. I normally don't need to change anything in what I carry. I carry a SAK or some other small to medium slipjoint and those usually pass muster anyplace except for locations with "nothing allowed" and metal detectors.

But what if you need to slice something?

I usually get something with a 3" or less (usually mini-grip) and the keep it concealed, out of sight out of mind. I don't broadcast that I have one on me. I've recently picked up a few traditionals also as they come across as less threatening and I think they'll be more accepted and will cover the basic EDC tasks nearly as well.

Maybe you misunderstood, I carry a knife most of the time and I'm not too concerned what someone thinks of it cause if there's going to be any kind of a legality issue I'm sure that will be the last thing on the list considering.

I don't do regular interstate travel but when I do I will check the restrictions for any other states we will be traveling through and pick a knife that complies. Plus I have to consider how I'm traveling- I won't try one of my good knives in airline checked baggage. A few years ago my wife and I went to Maine meaning we flew into Boston. That meant I could only carry a very small slipjoint knife so that is what I carried.

Maybe you misunderstood, I carry a knife most of the time and I'm not too concerned what someone thinks of it cause if there's going to be any kind of a legality issue I'm sure that will be the last thing on the list considering.

Ah, I get it now. Forgive my attempted smart assery.

I will always have a victorinox cadet when traveling. Almost always have a leatherman as well. I can get by just fine with those two and they don't attract too much attention. If I carry a folder, its usually going to be inexpensive and 3 inch blade or less. Such as a spyderco persistance. And the knife will be sub $50 on the off chance it gets confiscated somewhere.
I'm already trying to plan on what to take to disney world later this year. I've heard their security has gotten pretty strict. Might go with just a SAK.

I will always have a victorinox cadet when traveling. Almost always have a leatherman as well. I can get by just fine with those two and they don't attract too much attention. If I carry a folder, its usually going to be inexpensive and 3 inch blade or less. Such as a spyderco persistance. And the knife will be sub $50 on the off chance it gets confiscated somewhere.
I'm already trying to plan on what to take to disney world later this year. I've heard their security has gotten pretty strict. Might go with just a SAK.

Pretty good thread about Disney World carry here.

When I'm not working (such as when I'm traveling), I usually carry a modern, one hand opening folder clipped in a pocket plus an SAK, generally an explorer plus, ranger or fieldmaster. If I have doubts about the state or local laws where I'm traveling to, I just leave behind the modern folder and stick with whichever SAK I decided to drop in a pocket that particular day. To be honest, I probably wouldn't actually need anything but an SAK for my non-work knife needs at all, but I've gotten used to having a knife that I can run one handed. Plus I just like knives...:D

I just carry whatever I feel like carrying. Sometimes I may choose to not use the clip, but that's about it.

When I'm travelling by air, I'll pack 2 locking knives in my checked baggage, usually a full-size folder and a sub-3 inch folder. If my final destination is a place that has blade length restrictions, I'll leave the larger folder in my luggage in my hotel or wherever I'm staying and carry the smaller folder with me when I'm out and about in my destination city. I'll also carry an SAK.

My go-to sub-3" travel locking folder is a Byrd Meadowlark 2. If I'm out of town going to a bar using public transportation, and they are frisking at the door, then I just stash it somewhere outside and retrieve it later. If it's gone, no big deal. I can easily buy another. If I ever end up losing that one, then I'll probably just by a few $10 Ganzo 759M's as my "disposable travel" EDC blades.

If I'm staying with a friend and they are driving then I'll just return to their vehicle and leave my knife in their glove box.

When flying, I never put expensive knives in my checked baggage at the risk of losing them to TSA.

On the other hand, if I'm making a road trip I take whatever I want but only carry knives on my person that are legal in the jurisdiction I am in at any given moment and leave the other knives in my baggage.

Last edited:
Back