Introduction/advice on CAK

Greetings all!

New guy here from Pune, India. Been lurking for a while now and my email was (finally) confirmed, so here I am.

I've been in email conversation with Auntie Yangdu and her shop manager in Nepal regarding a 16.5" CAK. Manager attempted to send one to my India address but inexplicable as this sounds the courier company/ies she contacted in Nepal refused to accept the consignment. Hmm. While this dialog was ongoing I managed to contact two other HI competitors (not mentioning them) and they sent them via DHL to me no questions asked. Both khuks cleared Indian Customs without issue.

I continue to be interested in an HI CAK (I cannot buy from the retail site since HI don't ship to India from the US) and if HI Nepal is unable to for reasons explained above it leaves me up the creek UNLESS I contact a friend in Canada who might carry it later this year as a last resort.

Would anyone have any ideas?

Also, could the gurus here weigh in on how to request a specific 'kami' while ordering a CAK?

My thanks and respect to you all,

Amko

Pune, India

You can certainly request a specific kami by name in email communication with Yangdu or the HI shop manager. Or is your question really about which kami to request?

The shipping problem sounds odd. Maybe there's some current dispute between the governments of India and Nepal that is making it hard for the shipping companies. The knives that you got from other companies: Were they shipped direct from Nepal?

It's my understanding that HI people travel to India to buy their steel (truck leafsprings found in junkyards). They probably don't go as far as Pune, which seems distant from the Nepal border, but maybe they could carry the CAK into India and ship it from there to your address.

I suggest that you continue to pursue this with Yangdu herself. I wonder if she can't ship from the U.S. to India, or maybe that's just a restriction in the HI web site? Of course it would be more expensive to ship from the U.S. to India, compared with shipping direct from Nepal.

Thanks David for your feedback.

- Yes I'd appreciate recommendations regarding kamis adept at making CAKs from you all here, prior to contacting Auntie Yangdu.

- Those other knives (and no they are far from tourist grade, they are genuinely lethal, 16" and 20") were in fact shipped from Kathmandu via DHL.

- Yes Pune in the state of Maharashtra is a ways from the Indo Nepal border.

- I will email Auntie again once I decide about the kami choice after hearing from you all here.

Thanks again!

Most of my CAK's are made by Purna Kami. It is marked with a bull head. As I understand, he's a very good Kami.
That's my 2 cents!

Good to know Mr Azar. Thanks. P.S. I can only marvel at your 30 (or so?) strong collection (yes I've been watching.)

Under the new post today for 6/19 is an Ang Khola "18 for $80! It's not a Chiruwa, but for $80! What a deal!

For my size the CAK 16.5" made by Purna or Anil might be a tad more appropriate...great deal on the 18' AK blem, I know, Mr Azar!

Uh... Dont note that in concrete. Sorry fellas! I was mistaken. I was thinking of my Dui Chirra by Purna.

8943efd4f09a91b0dfb00281174a53f2

BUT! ...Seeing the DC will give you an idea what his CAK might look like! I have no doubts he makes a great one! Id jump on one if you get the chance! Id buy a golf club if Purna made it and I suck at golf!

I'd rather eat barb wire than golf but if Purna made a club I'd buy one too.

Eatin barbed wire is definitely preferable to golf. Kinda like eatin glass tho. Tomorrow wont be much fun:poop::D

Im in the Cantina bathroom right?

SO that's what a HI Dui Chirra looks like. Impressive...thanks for sharing ndog.

Was a Purna-crafted CAK ever featured on a DOTD? He seems to churn them out to perfection. I guess I won't be holding my breath...

.... Was a Purna-crafted CAK ever featured on a DOTD? He seems to churn them out to perfection. I guess I won't be holding my breath...

Below are pics of a Purna CAK (16.5" OAL and 29.5 oz) and a Purna Bonecutter (15.5" OAL and 31 oz). Both models are great choppers and come in a variety of lengths and weights. I got these as DOTDs not long ago.

CAK16.5in-Purna29.5oz-horn-for-Dave-01cr.jpg BoneCutter15.5in-Purna31oz-01-Horn.jpg

David: I stand corrected. Thanks for sharing! And congrats on the new grab!

Update: Auntie has set aside a CAK by Purna for me.

Last edited:
Back