Introduction/advice on CAK

Just emailed Auntie and the HI shop manager Punam re: requesting a CAK by Purna (an 18"). The challenge seems to be if local DHL office (at Surya Benai?) will accept the consignment for delivery to my India address. Will update ASAP.

Amko: If you like HI quality and like a certain model then I dont think you could ever go wrong with Purna. He is a master as far as everything I own by him. You will be pleased by his workmanship for sure. He is so good at balance, ergonomics, finish and does them fullers so well...Hmmm what else can you ask for? HI customer service takes care of the rest!

ndog: thanks for the feedback. That level of workmanship (from photos earlier in this thread) is rare. I will allow myself to be advised by you in this matter :)

Patiently waiting on Mme Yangdu/HI Manager to revert to my request, will update ASAP.

Amko:

Just to demonstrate that Purna's work is of consistently high quality, here are pictures of two more of his Dui Chirras, which you can compare with ndog's Purna DC. Both are 18" overall length, with weights 32 oz and 34 oz. These are very graceful, well-balanced blades.

DuiChirra18in-Purna32oz-01cr.jpg DuiChirra18in-Purna34oz-01cr.jpg

Last edited:
David, just checked out both photos up close, thanks. Graceful is right! Ready to roll the dice.

Last edited:
Newsflash: decided to 'downgrade' to a 16.5", after all (my initial instincts being vindicated) as opposed to the optimistic 18" that I was mentally flirting with. After an hour of chopping with my 20" paanch chirra, I'm left with the painful realization that my brachioradialis ain't what it used to be...and HTFU while I'm at it.

Last edited:
Newsflash: decided to 'downgrade' to a 16.5", after all (my initial instincts being vindicated) as opposed to the optimistic 18" that I was mentally flirting with. After an hour of chopping with my 20" paanch chirra, I'm left with the painful realization that my brachioradialis ain't what it used to be...and HTFU while I'm at it.
Ms Yangdu should have the 16.5" CAK in stock and as I noted previously, my CAK's were made by Purna Kami! Enjoy

Auntie just emailed me to say that Purna moved on from HI last month. She suggested either Kumar or Ramkumar as an alternative for the CAK I have in mind.

Would any of you gentlemen have an opinion, assuming familiarity with either of them? IIRC, Kumar is probably the more experienced.

All of them will make you a first class knife. If they didn't they wouldn't be working for HI.
I know that Purna left awhile back and came back to HI when Pala returned to Nepal. Apparently he decided to leave again.
Kumar is without question a top notch kami, second to none as sometimes you really can't compare since each has their own styles although the over all product is much the same.
Ram is also very gifted.
Personally if I was special ordering something I would not specify.
I find it's usually more pleasing to let them do their thing, start laying out specs for exact size and weight and they lose whatever magic they use to make these knives so well balanced and nice handling.
They have been making these collectively for a very long time. They know what they are doing.

One can request a larger handle for big hands etc but even then I sometimes think giving them free reign is best.

Auntie just emailed to say she has set aside a CAK by Purna for me in Reno. It is probably a 16.5", and with a wooden handle.

To everyone who contributed to this thread (and others where I posted my questions as well), much gratitude for helping me clarify my thought process. You know who you are...

I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Auntie just emailed to say she has set aside a CAK by Purna for me in Reno. It is probably a 16.5".

Mission accomplished?
Good deal. I thought she might have one available. Glad for you!
Yes, it's probably 16.5".

David: I stand corrected. Thanks for sharing! And congrats on the new grab!

Update: Auntie has set aside a CAK by Purna for me.

Nepal > Reno > Clearwater, FL > India...talk about a wandering knife.

Now all I need are those blessings from that computer shack in Reno...

Last edited:
Back