Introduction and some of my work

kuraki

Fimbulvetr Knifeworks
I've been primarily hanging out in Shoptalk since I joined the forum. I've held off posting any of my work here, mostly because I didn't feel like it was ready. However my friends Matthew Gregory Matthew Gregory and J. Doyle J. Doyle have urged me to stop being my own worst critic and see what the rest of you folks think about my stuff. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with John in his shop this summer, and I think I learned more in that weekend about how to tie various skills together into a finished knife than I had in the entire year prior.

So, here's some of what I've been doing, I hope you like it. And if you don't, please tell me why. I'm on the forum to learn as much as anything else, and up until now the majority of feedback I've received was directly from customers, or other makers.

I made this last year for the Winter KITH. It's .153" W2, 6" blade and dyed leopardwood scales.
E9lPNAK.jpg

This is a hunter I made for a local customer. This one is .18" 80CRV2 with G10 scales. He liked it so much he ordered 5 more with variations in scale materials and steel types as gifts for his circle of friends.
Sc1JbV2.jpg

This is the piece I took to work on with J. Doyle. This is really the first knife I made with a plan of exactly how I wanted it to look, rather than a list of materials and the end result is how it looks. I wanted it to be dark and sleek and with John's help it came out exactly as I hoped it would. Also W2, and, a take down.
0HXKHqC.jpg

6fqA9CZ.jpg

And last, the result of a collaboration with a customer to provide a very specific knife for his intended use. He to basically replace the folding knife he was currently using for camp chores with a more robust fixed blade, that could do light batoning, without weighing more than the folder it's replacing. I spend some time 3D modeling the blade and going back and forth to come up with the final design. I could not quite hit the 5.8oz weight of the original knife, but close. This weighs in at 6.15 oz. .135" 3V at 61 RC, with natural, dyed maple scales.

Concept:
uuNzami.png

Finished:
WxTQw8F.jpg

vqo0cMR.jpg

WxTQw8F.jpg

Thanks for looking, and I hope to share more in the future.

Well I am glad they encouraged you to share your work ... those are nice looking knives. Looks like well chosen materials ... nice fit & finish ... the hamon looks great.

Looks like full flat grinds? Which I love on those type blades for those uses.

You machinists learn fast, don't you?

Great work!

Thanks Warren. Your advice has been invaluable.

Well I am glad they encouraged you to share your work ... those are nice looking knives. Looks like well chosen materials ... nice fit & finish ... the hamon looks great.

Looks like full flat grinds? Which I love on those type blades for those uses.

I didn't realize it when posting, but yes, everything I selected has been flat. I have done and am doing some hollows. I just can't find a finished example right now. I agree with you, and tend to prefer flat grinds for most things. Thank you for the compliments!

John, I love seeing your work and you're always giving great advice to people in shop talk, and to me personally on IG.
Can't wait to see what the future brings!

First of all, welcome to the Custom Forum and secondly, sounds like you run with a pretty rough crew but have done just fine anyway.....good for you! :D

You've got some superb knives there and please keep them coming. :)

First of all, welcome to the Custom Forum and secondly, sounds like you run with a pretty rough crew but have done just fine anyway.....good for you! :D

You've got some superb knives there and please keep them coming. :)

I'm not locked in here with them...They're locked in here with me :D Thank you, and everyone for the compliments. I really appreciate it.

Really, the thing that pisses me off about this thread is the quality of your knife photos. Mine positively suck, and I have to come on here and see FNG drumming out awesome photos, never mind the quality of the knives. Seriously. Don't care at all. But the photos!!!

You suck. I officially rescind my pressure on you to post a thread here.

;)

I dunno man, I just grab my wife's 40D and spin the turny thing to the green box then point and shoot :cool:

John, you're doing great work. That last one, I like a lot.

Guys- a few weeks back, John came to my shop to see how I approach some of my builds. John has a skillset and a mindset for PRECISION on a level that most of aren't even aware exists. He is an EXTREMELY knowledgeable and capable person, qualified to speak intelligently on a whole range of subjects. He has some really great and unique ideas that I'm excited to see come to fruition. We had some good conversations, good food and just a good time in general.

He shared some things with me about machining and tooling and various finishing processes that made ME a better maker for it. I think I learned as much from him as he learned from me.

Keep your eye on him....he's growing in leaps and bounds.

Back