Is Ganzo Firebird F753M1 any good, please share your opinon if you have one !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is the possibility that he does not own any knives, in which case it would not be hypocritical to state those opinions. If someone has a knife, it has design elements copied from somewhere else. There are no exceptions.

As people have (attempted) to explain to you, the things you listed were either permitted to be used by others by the designer, or the patents expired many many years ago.

If Benchmade went out and said "anyone can use our design! Feel free!" I wouldn't have a problem with Ganzo using the Axis Lock. If the patent expires and 50+ years later someone uses the axis lock, I probably won't mind.

Do you see the difference?

Definitely not tryin to argue with you cray. But which US laws apply in china regarding this subject? From what i have read up on the subject the laws dont target purchasers or owners of a product even if done knowingly. The law prohibits the manufacture and sales of counterfeits.

A little off topic, but aren't locking knives illegal in China in the first place?

As people have (attempted) to explain to you, the things you listed were either permuted to be used by others by the designer, or the patents expired many many years ago.

If Benchmade went out and said "anyone can use our design! Feel free!" I wouldn't have a problem with Ganzo using the Axis Lock. If the patent expires and 50+ years later someone uses the axis lock, I probably won't mind.

Do you see the difference?

If you are just concerned with the law, US patents have no jurisdiction in China. Ganzo is doing nothing illegal. It is the resellers importing them into the US that are acting against the law. People can't have it both ways, it is either legal or not. You can't chose where you want to apply the law when it suits you and ignore where it doesn't without being hypocritical. That is the root of my post's intent.

If you are just concerned with the law, US patents have no jurisdiction in China. Ganzo is doing nothing illegal. It is the resellers importing them into the US that are acting against the law. People can't have it both ways, it is either legal or not. You can't chose where you want to apply the law when it suits you and ignore where it doesn't without being hypocritical. That is the root of my posts intent.

I never said anything about the law. I think it's wrong. Full stop. Benchmade doesn't want others to use their designs. Good people respect those wishes. Gonzo ain't good people...

A little off topic, but aren't locking knives illegal in China in the first place?

Yeah more than just that though. Locking knives, autos, knives with fullers or "blood grooves". Even holes in the blades are wishy washy. Thats why if you look at some of the chinese wholesale sites that sell them many photoshop these features out of the picture so they dont get pulled. I do not however know how the laws work as far as products manufactured for export. In other words they may get away with making them if they are manufactured solely as an export.

I'll use an example from my own experiences.

Imagine you have a friend who is an artist. They put their heart and soul into a piece of art and they post it online.

A little down the road they see a company has stolen their art and is selling prints of it on posters, coffee mugs, shirts, etc.

The artist is upset, but the company technically didn't break any laws.

Would you purchase from said company and flaunt it around the artist and their friends? Telling them the company didn't break any laws?

Or would you side with the artist and condemn the thieving company?

I know where I stand.

Definitely not tryin to argue with you cray. But which US laws apply in china regarding this subject? From what i have read up on the subject the laws dont target purchasers or owners of a product even if done knowingly. The law prohibits the manufacture and sales of counterfeits.

There are plenty of things that are wrong that aren't against the law. You are smarter than to try to go down this road.

I never said anything about the law. I think it's wrong. Full stop. Benchmade doesn't want others to use their designs. Good people respect those wishes. Gonzo ain't good people...

Benchmade used the spydie hole without permission for a time. Microtech ripped off countless people. Supposedly jason brous did too. Shiro used the axis lock on its domestic market knives. As does another russian maker. Heretic knives has a counterfeit subframe lock. Emerson ran to the patent office on a design feature first seen on a kershaw. The sub frame lock itself was being done by dmitry sinkevich before anyone else patented it. Cold steel had a rip off of the axis for a few years too.

Benchmade used the spydie hole without permission for a time. Microtech ripped off countless people. Supposedly jason brous did too. Shiro used the axis lock on its domestic market knives. As does another russian maker. Heretic knives has a counterfeit subframe lock. Emerson ran to the patent office on a design feature first seen on a kershaw. The sub frame lock itself was being done by dmitry sinkevich before anyone else patented it. Cold steel had a rip off of the axis for a few years too.

And? This makes it OK then?

There are plenty of things that are wrong that aren't against the law. You are smarter than to try to go down this road.

I was only asking because you specifically mentioned laws as the reason For why people should not buy these products. But i have done a lot of research and have found no laws that apply to end users. I thought you may have known of specific laws I had not found. Now if we change the argument to its just a crappy thing to do then i have no argument. Again man im not disagreeing with you but rather trying to see if there was information i missed.

I was only asking because you specifically mentioned laws as the reason For why people should not buy these products. But i have done a lot of research and have found no laws that apply to end users. I thought you may have known of specific laws I had not found. Now if we change the argument to its just a crappy thing to do then i have no argument. Again man im not disagreeing with you but rather trying to see if there was information i missed.

Nope. You missed no info. And even alde has some of it correct. Importation and/or sale in the US is the only law broken. Enforcement is little to none. Stirring up some would take more money than BM or Sp[yderco could continue making knives for. That is why it comes down to the end users like us. That is why in the rules here it says this bullshit hurts the hobby. That is why decent honest members here will shun the support of this crap. It is up to us....

The decent companies handled those situations the right way I believe.

Nope. You missed no info. And even alda has some of it correct. Importation and/or sale in the US is the only law broken. Enforcement is little to none. Stirring up some would take more money than BM or Sp[yderco could continue making knives for. That is why it comes down to the end users like us. That is why in the rules here it says this bullshit hurts the hobby. That is why decent honest members here will shun the support of this crap. It is up to us....

Got it. We all know how i feel. But i agree that even if you dabble in the darkside you dont bring that stuff here to the jedis.

The decent companies handled those situations the right way I believe.

Yes in most cases i do believe it got worked out. With the exception of microtech. Tony will probably have a posthumous counterfeit release just because he is that guy. :D

Start some new threads then. One for each and we can all pile in to register our disapproval.

No way. My ass still hurts from the reaming i got a few years back. I have the info i hit this thread up for so now im gonna spectate.

You said "If the patent expires and 50+ years later someone uses the axis lock, I probably won't mind."

That is an opinion on the legality of the use of the axis lock.

I also agree that copying designs without agreement or compensation to the original designer, if required by the original designer, is wrong, full stop.

People keep conflating moral with lawful. They are very frequently in opposition of each other.

Take a minute and give Sal Glesser a chance to explain how clones & counterfeits hurt the industry.
If you can recall the Delica & Endura onslaught that hit Spydie about 10 - 15 years ago, you'll recall that it almost put them out of business.
Exact duplicates with shit materials for half the price. They fell apart quickly and people thought they had real Spyderco knives.
The OP has wasted about $25 on the 2 lower end knives he bought.
Claimed the only reason he bought the ganzo was that's all the money he had........and a few days later comes up with another $15 for the second one??
Really no reason to buy this garbage at all.
There are some decent knives available for ~ $20 from reputable companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back