Is SR101 not what I expected?

So I finally got around to some real use of my Rodent 9, beating some firewood apart. Nothing too serious. My 1095 ESEE has been doing the job for a while .

I bought the R9 over the Junglas on the premise of 52100 with Kryptonite.

I have a good 2 inches of rolled edge. No chipping but its visibly rolled. My Esee 6 does not have the same issue and I used the same process on the same piece of wood actually.

I'm going to fix the edge either by regrinding it or stropping it but it's odd that a little Oak could put such a dent in the beast. I also ran my infidu through the piece of wood. All good but there was a small spot that rolled.

So I finally got around to some real use of my Rodent 9, beating some firewood apart. Nothing too serious. My 1095 ESEE has been doing the job for a while .

I bought the R9 over the Junglas on the premise of 52100 with Kryptonite.

I have a good 2 inches of rolled edge. No chipping but its visibly rolled. My Esee 6 does not have the same issue and I used the same process on the same piece of wood actually.

I'm going to fix the edge either by regrinding it or stropping it but it's odd that a little Oak could put such a dent in the beast. I also ran my infidu through the piece of wood. All good but there was a small spot that rolled.
Only got the TGLB in Sr101.
Took it to 27incl and it shaved 55rc steel without any rolling. Of course that can't really compared to wood which is less controlled and brings random sidewards forces to the equation.

Try steeling the edge before regrinding. The issue with some of the grinder applied edges is that sometimes the metal goes above the temperature that affects the heat treatment. It shouldn't be more than the very edge, so steeling (to straighten the rolled edge) and then having a go at it with stones or sanding paper should correct the issue.

I got a Junglas a long while ago, and instead of edge rolling, about an inch of the blade got wavy for about quarter inch up from the edge from batoning wood...

Try steeling the edge before regrinding. The issue with some of the grinder applied edges is that sometimes the metal goes above the temperature that affects the heat treatment. It shouldn't be more than the very edge, so steeling (to straighten the rolled edge) and then having a go at it with stones or sanding paper should correct the issue.

I got a Junglas a long while ago, and instead of edge rolling, about an inch of the blade got wavy for about quarter inch up from the edge from batoning wood...

Good advice.

I'll give that a try, thank you

I have an R9. Heavy use for months, and no issues. I have numerous SR 101 blades. never an issue and love the steel. Battening, chopping, etc touch it up and it will be great

Try steeling the edge before regrinding. The issue with some of the grinder applied edges is that sometimes the metal goes above the temperature that affects the heat treatment. It shouldn't be more than the very edge, so steeling (to straighten the rolled edge) and then having a go at it with stones or sanding paper should correct the issue....

This is good advice.

If you have any further issues just send Swamp Rat an email and they will get you taken care of.

Garth

Thanks for the help guys. I really like the knife so getting this advice is very appreciated.

Back