Is the BK5 discontinued?

Well, I never planned on buying the 5.
Since I already have a 9 I didn't think I needed another blade that size.
I did plan on buying a 6-7 inch blade in the future, possibly the BK7.
After reading this thread, and seeing the low prices on Amazon I just bought one on an impulse.

Wasn't going to buy a new knife just yet, but I suppose those prices won't be around for long.

I personally always thought the 15 and 5 were their nicest models. What a terrible shame. What were they thinking?

I agree, the 5 is probably my favorite Becker, followed closely by the 20.

6Z3gGx7.jpg

I better get off my butt and get a BK5 then, that is one that I have been wanting but procrastinating on.

The BK-5 is still widely available so I would scoop one up before everyone runs out as others here have suggested. I picked one up last month, such a fantastic knife. It is currently waiting in line for the usual treatments I give my Beckers. So much to do, so little time...

I'm picking on up tonight on the bay, I have some paypal funds burning a hole in my pocket and have been wanting one, so now is the time. Currently $56 at the jungle and $58 at the bay. I'll have to pay the $2 more to utilize the paypal funds but worth it!

Seems I always wait just a little too long. :rolleyes:

I just checked the bay and the one I added to my watch list went from $58 and change last night to now $61 and change, so I just bought it to avoid any additional price increases, the jungle still has them for $56 and change.

Amazon utilizes algorithms to determine pricing for their stuff. The more something gets looked at the higher the price goes. I'm not sure if eBay does that too or not. But I have noticed that there are times that I'll look at something 2-3 times and the price is 3-4 bucks higher. It's stupid but it also isn't.

I am trying to decide if I want to strip one of my 5s and shiny it up.

Amazon utilizes algorithms to determine pricing for their stuff. The more something gets looked at the higher the price goes. I'm not sure if eBay does that too or not. But I have noticed that there are times that I'll look at something 2-3 times and the price is 3-4 bucks higher. It's stupid but it also isn't.

I am trying to decide if I want to strip one of my 5s and shiny it up.

Yeah, prices at the jungle seem to fluctuate up and down, the bay price, I think it was just a coincidence that the seller may have adjusted his price, oh well, it's only a few more bucks, no big deal.

Man, I would have sent you a BK5 for less than that. :| Plus I have several listed on the bay for $59 and change shipped, but I would have cut you a deal for sure since I could skip ebay fees.

Man, I would have sent you a BK5 for less than that. :| Plus I have several listed on the bay for $59 and change shipped, but I would have cut you a deal for sure since I could skip ebay fees.

I'm not a paying member so can't buy and sell, but thanks for the belated offer.
I searched the bay, and yours for $59 and change shipped didn't show up that I saw, there was one "new" used one listed but I'm pretty sure it was more than that.

I normally would have bought from the jungle for $56 with my Prime, but I had some paypal funds that I wanted to use and the price of a beer more I really don't care about, I'll drink one less tonight LOL. I was saving up for a the Condor Kukri as well, but I'll wait and get that at the jungle, the price difference is too much on the bay.

WTF!!!!! I just searched again the same auction I bought the BK5 at for $61 and change a few hours ago, changed the price back to $58 and change, WTF is going on with that seller???? I emailed him with a WTF is going on (but without the WTF). I've never seen that before. I asked for a refund for the price differential, we will see what he does. His feedback will certainly reflect the outcome.

I know it might be a matter of principle for you, but it is only a $3 difference. Perhaps the algorithms at work?

Maybe, not sure. I was just very surprised to have that happen on the bay. Seller has not responded, I realize it is like $3 and that I voluntarily bought it at that price, but I can't help think that it was very odd. Maybe the seller does have some type of traffic tracking software and that kind of approach worked in the past. Normally, I would think that dropping the price by a dollar or two would be more effective, but his psycological warfare worked on me, I was thinking to myself I better buy it now before he raises the price again. So I guess I am the sucker.

You can buy all you want on the forums regardless of paying membership, you just need a gold membership to sell or to have access to private ways to communicate.
Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware of that and that will guide my upcoming decision on which membership level I'm looking at.

Back