Is this acceptable from $200 knife?

And they would replace it with a problem free one or another blade poorly ground or another knife with some other issue?

They usually get it right in warranty. I'm sure they gets lots of practice. Just be specific in what your complaints are a what you want done.

Out of curiosity, what happens to the "rejected" blade? Does it get melted and recycled into a new 20cv knife?

Come on BMK Jimmy, tell us if Benchmade thinks that those grinds are acceptable or not. What should our expectations of a $200 Benchmade's fit and finish be?

I hope BM is reading this.

Take it from an owner of multiple businesses: "It's always cheaper to do it right than to do it twice"

Out of my situation only, at least TWO knives will be returned for the ONE knife that I will eventually keep... that's a lot of financial loss for the company.

I bought this Griptilian 551BK-1 and also bought Osborne 940-1501 from KnifeWorks. I haven't received my 940 yet, and I'm not sure what I'd do if it has that type of defects, since it's not Amazon... I will probably just send that one back to BM if it has issues or send it for sharpening/re-profiling.

I've read a TON of reviews about various BM knives before I made my selection of these two knives. Many many MANY of the complaints were about QC issues that can easily be avoided with some training of employees. And then, reviews will be better and consequently sales will increase.

I've had this problem with MOST factory knives be it from Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, CRKT or Cold Steel. It's actually very rare when a knife shows up with even grind on the secondary edge.

Hasn't been my experience...

I own probably 6 knives over $40.

Now, I don't really put them under a microscope or macro photography and compare them... so if they're close enough, I'm good with it... But this one is not at all close enough and caught my attention from first glance.

The other one I had issues with was my Spyderco PM2... detent sucked, grind was off... Back to Amazon and got a better one back from Amazon.

You should have let the first knife break in, because that tip looks pretty bad.

I can't help but feel that way sometimes too... but unfortunately, it's already shipped back...

But regardless, I bought a $12 knife with "axis lock" replica... had ZERO stick, smooth as butter, blade drops freely... Should I not expect the same from a $200 knife?!!!

Blade grind is not cool and I think sending it back to the retailer is the right move if enough people do this maybe we can cause retailers to put some pressure on Benchmade why someone didn't catch that before going out is beyond me it shouldn't happen for $50 let alone 200 they are trying to be a premium brand to me that means great quality control.

if enough people do this maybe we can cause retailers to put some pressure on Benchmade

Completely agree... If enough go back to Amazon, Amazon's voice definitely has more weight than my voice when complaining to Benchmade.

My new one should arrive tomorrow... Let's see how it looks.

Majority of the knives sold on Amazon are via 3PL, meaning they are strictly managing the inventory and fulfillment of the goods. The onus still rests on the Dealers (that sell directly and use Amazon as a 3PL) to voice their concerns regarding the quality of the product. I doubt the return rate on Benchmades through Amazon is significant to other higher moving goods (Fashion Apparel has an Industry Avg. Return Rate of 40%).

The biggest voice the dedicated Knife Community has is through niche retailers. The voice of them as it pertains to their bottom line (in regards to their current Margins and the costs of operations; support, shipping, returns) will be a greater impact. Sadly, most of the retailers do not offer free-returns. This means that the cost of 'poor QC' is taken on by the consumer and that product likely goes back into inventory where it will patiently wait the hands of a more tolerant/passive consumer.

Reactions: Mo2
IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

well, knife #3 is IDENTICAL or possibly even slightly worse...

Now, send it to Benchmade? Or to my sharpening guy? Or just send it back to Amazon and not by it again?

Great way to UNimpress a new customer Benchmade!

IMG_8715_copy.jpg

Knife #2 to the left
Knife #3 to the right.

Looks identically bad to me. Quite annoying and frustrating.

Unfortunately that's pretty standard on Benchmades these days as you are discovering. Blade grinds are way less symmetrical than any other major brand. Very disappointing for the price point.

You guys crack me up, yes it's a $200 knife but that's it a $200 knife. People make mistakes, machines make mistakes if it were a perfect world we wouldn't need customer service. Call them to get it fixed, or fix it yourself, if you're going to carry it and use it will suffer way more than what has been shown here. :eek:

You guys crack me up, yes it's a $200 knife but that's it a $200 knife. People make mistakes, machines make mistakes if it were a perfect world we wouldn't need customer service. Call them to get it fixed, or fix it yourself, if you're going to carry it and use it will suffer way more than what has been shown here. :eek:

I'm with you, the complaining since BM showed up to the site is just getting ridiculous. I have over 10 BM's and I don't have any trouble with any of them....but I didn't get a microscope out to review each of them. If I have a problem I will just ship them in to be fixed.

I'm with you, the complaining since BM showed up to the site is just getting ridiculous. I have over 10 BM's and I don't have any trouble with any of them....but I didn't get a microscope out to review each of them. If I have a problem I will just ship them in to be fixed.
Xactly, I've sent two back to BM over the years and both were my fault. Their customer service was exemplary.

I have owned numerous Benchmade products at different price ranges. Believe me, their qc issues aren't price sensitive. I recently had to send my Stryker in twice for repair due to an off centered blade and up and down blade play. The first time, it came back with the same issues plus they screwed the blade grind up because they only sharpened one side of the blade. It was a brand new knife and didn't even need to be sharpened.
All I can say is it isn't uncommon to run into qc problems with Benchmade anymore. My latest issue was with my Small Summit Lake, it too had up and down blade play. I sent it in and they sent me a new knife.
One of my co-workers bought a new Grizzly Creek. He handed it to me and guess what? Off centered blade, stuck out like a sore thumb. IMO, a knife that costs more than a hundred dollars shouldn't have to be adjusted or repaired by the consumer the same day it is purchased.

Reactions: Mo2
When I buy a knife and I'm concerned about quality control, I buy from a reputable store and have them check it, before they ship.

When I buy a knife and I'm concerned about quality control, I buy from a reputable store and have them check it, before they ship.

I have actually tried something similar to this before. I was interested in the Bedlam model, I contacted a dealer and they had one in stock. Since I was at work, I figured I could ask the dealer to look it over for me since I have done a lot of business with them in the past, and if everything checks out, have my wife pick it up for me.
The dealer completely refused to give me any info whatsoever on it, as far as condition goes. All they would say is that everyone has different standards on what they want. They also let me know that the knife was non refundable if I did indeed find a issue and I would have to have it sent in for repair. Does this reflect poorly on the dealer, or Benchmades inconsistent quality control? BTW, I have never attempted to return a Benchmade knife for a refund.

Back