Is this acceptable from $200 knife?

You guys crack me up, yes it's a $200 knife but that's it a $200 knife. People make mistakes, machines make mistakes if it were a perfect world we wouldn't need customer service. Call them to get it fixed, or fix it yourself, if you're going to carry it and use it will suffer way more than what has been shown here. :eek:

I also have a collection of high end watches. I feel the same way about my watches like my knives. They're functional, absolutely. But also they are finely made, high quality with attention to minute details.

I work in an office environment with very little cutting. I use my knives to open letters, Amazon boxes, food prep, etc. My knives actually don't "suffer way more". I collect them just like my watches. They do function and I do use them. But I just admire their craftsmanship and what goes into making them.

At $200, a folding knife should be flawless.

I also have a collection of high end watches. I feel the same way about my watches like my knives. They're functional, absolutely. But also they are finely made, high quality with attention to minute details.

I work in an office environment with very little cutting. I use my knives to open letters, Amazon boxes, food prep, etc. My knives actually don't "suffer way more". I collect them just like my watches. They do function and I do use them. But I just admire their craftsmanship and what goes into making them.

Then buy a Rockstead, comparing a $200 knife to a high end watch is like comparing a Kia to Aston Martin. No offense to Kia owners. :D

Then buy a Rockstead, comparing a $200 knife to a high end watch is like comparing a Kia to Aston Martin. No offense to Kia owners. :D

Hmm... I guess if someone is buying a new Kia and see that it came with scratches and dents, they should keep their mouth shut and just drive it since that car will probably "suffer way more" when they drive it...

Man, that's a tough argument to sell...

Besides, Benchmade is not the "Kia" of the knife community by any means!!! If Benchmade is "Kia" then what car compares to the "Sanrenmu" that sells $10-20 knives with great actions and great attention to detail? (https://smile.amazon.com/Sanrenmu-7010LUC-SA-Pocket-Folding-Knife/dp/B00GMMPIK2)

Most $30 Kershaw's have better attention to detail than the specimens I received... makes no sense.

I have actually tried something similar to this before. I was interested in the Bedlam model, I contacted a dealer and they had one in stock. Since I was at work, I figured I could ask the dealer to look it over for me since I have done a lot of business with them in the past, and if everything checks out, have my wife pick it up for me.
The dealer completely refused to give me any info whatsoever on it, as far as condition goes. All they would say is that everyone has different standards on what they want. They also let me know that the knife was non refundable if I did indeed find a issue and I would have to have it sent in for repair. Does this reflect poorly on the dealer, or Benchmades inconsistent quality control? BTW, I have never attempted to return a Benchmade knife for a refund.

Yea, that sucks. If they don't have a pile in stock to choose from, they might not be able to select. The only benchmade I've had a problem with is a 484 nakamura. The blade won't lock up tight on it. I bought on eBay. It's a new knife and I was hoping it would break in. I'll send in in someday. I think the point I'm trying to make is that some sellers on Amazon and eBay might not have the inventory that knife center or knife works have and I can always talk to them for before I buy.

Since we are already disregarding the OP's impressions on what should be 'acceptable' for $200, perhaps we should ask the question of Benchmade.

Benchmade,

Is this what we should come to expect from Benchmade? At $200, should the consumer come to expect a knife with:
- poor centering
- sloppy edge grind
- sticky axis locking mechanism

So, instead of people expressing their 'ideas' of value and what 'one should come to expect', let's see what Benchmade has to say about what WE should come to expect from them.

Last edited:
If a person dislikes an item so much that it literally destroys the quality of their day, the solution is simple, stop buying the product. I'm not a fanboy of Benchmade by any means, but I have not gotten anything in my last purchases that made me feel outraged. Let's be realistic here, these are simply production knives, not Faberge Eggs.

Unrealistic expectations. If you are so anal (your words), maybe start collecting ABS Master Bladesmith level knives only. I can say that you will suffer many, many more disappointments if your expectations are fueled by OCD. You will simply never really be happy with any company, they will have some kind of glitch that will drive you nuts. I used to be much pickier, I'd get a knife and throw it under an scanning electron microscope, and blow it up 1000x and find all kinds of stuff. I just realized that it ruined the enjoyment of the hobby for me. I readjusted my expectations and began to enjoy the design, and started following the work of certain makers and designers. That is much more enjoyable.

RevDevil, that's totally not true man.

I have probably 10-12 knives in my collection. Keyshawn, Spyderco, ZT, cheapies... I even received the second BM (940-1501). Haven't had problems with hardly any of them except one ZT that was sticky before breaking in.

As a matter of fact... I'm in love and blown away by the BM 940-1501 I received yesterday.

I'm with you, the complaining since BM showed up to the site is just getting ridiculous. I have over 10 BM's and I don't have any trouble with any of them....but I didn't get a microscope out to review each of them. If I have a problem I will just ship them in to be fixed.

I agree 100% with the statement in bold.

Rev nailed it; if you don't like the knife, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet, end of story.

If this thread becomes an anti-BM pile-on over what I see as a somewhat misguided original post, I'll close the thread and issue infractions accordingly.

Be nice, be polite; moderate your own posts and expectations.

I have actually tried something similar to this before. I was interested in the Bedlam model, I contacted a dealer and they had one in stock. Since I was at work, I figured I could ask the dealer to look it over for me since I have done a lot of business with them in the past, and if everything checks out, have my wife pick it up for me.
The dealer completely refused to give me any info whatsoever on it, as far as condition goes. All they would say is that everyone has different standards on what they want. They also let me know that the knife was non refundable if I did indeed find a issue and I would have to have it sent in for repair. Does this reflect poorly on the dealer, or Benchmades inconsistent quality control? BTW, I have never attempted to return a Benchmade knife for a refund.

I think that's a poor reflection on the dealer, to say the least, and I would cross them off my list for any future purchases.

Rev nailed it; if you don't like the knife, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet, end of story.

I voted with my wallet: It's a fantastic knife. I kept it.

Still disappointed that the knife I paid the most for came with a worse edge than the knives I pay the least for.

First brand-new knife I buy that goes to the sharpening guy before any usage.

If this thread becomes an anti-BM pile-on over what I see as a somewhat misguided original post, I'll close the thread and issue infractions accordingly.

Be nice, be polite; moderate your own posts and expectations.

I apologize if my posts expressing past experiences were offensive. However, many of us see a knife we like, but don't get the opportunity to hold or examine it before purchasing. I have owned several Benchmade knives in the past that I really liked, but i have dealt with many qc issues lately. Are the mods on this discussion board letting us know not to express our negative experiences with this company?

RevDevil, that's totally not true man.

I have probably 10-12 knives in my collection. Keyshawn, Spyderco, ZT, cheapies... I even received the second BM (940-1501). Haven't had problems with hardly any of them except one ZT that was sticky before breaking in.

As a matter of fact... I'm in love and blown away by the BM 940-1501 I received yesterday.

Good to hear you've had some good ones then. Your comment about losing 1mm of the blade read like it was written with a twinge of panic. People just seem lately to be venting pure bad things and that just seems to be a huge turn off to people that come here for info, pictures, and other stuff. I'm not opposed to people discussing their opinions and such, that is what this place is here for after all. I've read threads from what we've come to know as "chronic complainers/whiners" that seem to find something wrong with every knife they get. Whether it costs $20 or $5,000. These people even complain about knives they don't own.

Some complaints are simply ridiculous and make the person look foolish. I don't buy knives from Amazon personally. I'd rather buy from a store that knows their items and can check a blade over if there is suspicion of a possible flaw. I'm not beyond sending a wonky knife back myself, I don't like to spend my money on a knife only to have it be everything other than what I expected. I just try and keep things within a realistic perspective. I'd have sent that Benchmade you got back to them.

Good to hear you've had some good ones then. Your comment about losing 1mm of the blade read like it was written with a twinge of panic. People just seem lately to be venting pure bad things and that just seems to be a huge turn off to people that come here for info, pictures, and other stuff. I'm not opposed to people discussing their opinions and such, that is what this place is here for after all. I've read threads from what we've come to know as "chronic complainers/whiners" that seem to find something wrong with every knife they get. Whether it costs $20 or $5,000. These people even complain about knives they don't own.

Some complaints are simply ridiculous and make the person look foolish. I don't buy knives from Amazon personally. I'd rather buy from a store that knows their items and can check a blade over if there is suspicion of a possible flaw. I'm not beyond sending a wonky knife back myself, I don't like to spend my money on a knife only to have it be everything other than what I expected. I just try and keep things within a realistic perspective. I'd have sent that Benchmade you got back.

Your expectations are similar to mine when it comes to knife shopping. When I buy for myself, I look the knife over just to be sure it meets my expectations. Unfortunately, my latest Benchmade was gifted to me from my wife. I hated to break the news to her that it had to be sent in for repair. Benchmade made it right by replacing my problematic knife with a new one.

Must be nice being able to walk into a knife store. I don't have any of those in my area. I have to wait for a gun show or buy online.

Must be nice being able to walk into a knife store. I don't have any of those in my area. I have to wait for a gun show or buy online.

Exactly. I called probably 8 stores and visited 3-4 more. None had it. Had no choice but to order online.

Almost all my knives were ordered online. That really isn't a bad thing at all.

I have no doing BM would've taken great care of me and made things right. But it sucks any time a brand new item has to be repaired. Period.

Would anyone here be OK with buying a brand new car and having someone malfunction from day one even if it's covered under warranty? Come on now! I don't think I'm unrealistic at all.

I've never bout any of the over 300 knives I own at a store, there are no stores here within 100 miles of where I live. Sure, there are a few gun shops that carry Benchmade, but the prices are full MSRP, not retail.

Back