It does matter what you smear on your face!

screened porch

Basic Member
I had a bad shave with a new blade out of the pack I've been using. Only difference, I was in a hurry so I used Barbasol spray foam instead of Col. Conk's brush soap.

Yep. Tried that. I think it's because the canned shave cream doesn't keep your beard as wet as working up a lather & brushing on the soaps made for wet shaving; even the cheaper ones. I've been shaving for over 50 years, but I'm still no expert.

I think you're right. Maybe if the foam were rubbed in instead of slid over it would work better, but it may just be too thin.

I used Barbasol spray foam instead of Col. Conk's brush soap.

My face hurts just reading this. Amber Col. Conks, Dreadnought or Dukes is all I ever use normally, but if I rush, I pay for it. When rushing is on the menu, Aveeno can shave cream and Mach 3 are a livable solution, but very infrequently.

Also a time factor, even the few minutes between brushing and shaving with soap is still more prep time than the seconds between can and blade.

Razor burn is the problem I have. Nivea Can shave cream is the solution. Not a burn since. Aveeno works well too

Thanks. I'll keep Nivea and Aveeno in mind.
I used to use Williams soap because it was what was at the store, and never cold get much of a lather out of it. The Conk lathers a lot better for me.

Back