It folds!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
And I'm well on the way... waiting on more parts/bits right now and still have a ton to do but it is looking like a knife! I have about three days into this one so far... :D

005-18_zpsf0712cab.jpg

010-22_zps26a842fc.jpg

011-24_zps6cd7a74c.jpg

017-18_zpsf63d58be.jpg

If a knive can be bad a$$ and sexy at the same time this is the one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wootah!

Hey Daniel, have you seen Gareth Bull's linerlock tutorial on USN? You're about at that stage where his little details are going to make a world of difference. Big jumpstart in technique.

http://www.usualsuspect.net/forums/showthread.php?700302-Linerlock-tutorial-(WIP)-Pic-HEAVY

I have a very early custom folder from a very very popular knifemaker, and it is just about perfect except for one defect in the design which Gareth addresses in the tutorial; making the perfect detent that keeps the blade secure in the closed position. The K2 that I got from Farid is a great example of how it's done, especially since the blade is huge.

Can't wait to see this progress!

:applouse:

Congrats Daniel, I know you have worked hard for this moment. Awesome knife, it's going to be a brute! :thumbup:

Lookin GOOD!!!
Thanks!

:drool:

:thumbup::thumbup:

-X
:cool: Much appreciated!

If a knive can be bad a$$ and sexy at the same time this is the one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's what I was going for, thanks!

wootah!

Hey Daniel, have you seen Gareth Bull's linerlock tutorial on USN? You're about at that stage where his little details are going to make a world of difference. Big jumpstart in technique.

http://www.usualsuspect.net/forums/showthread.php?700302-Linerlock-tutorial-(WIP)-Pic-HEAVY

I have a very early custom folder from a very very popular knifemaker, and it is just about perfect except for one defect in the design which Gareth addresses in the tutorial; making the perfect detent that keeps the blade secure in the closed position. The K2 that I got from Farid is a great example of how it's done, especially since the blade is huge.

Can't wait to see this progress!

Thanks! I am very familiar with that WIP, Gareth has done a lot for the knifemaking world in general with his WIP's. Great stuff there! His graphics rock.

If you are in to that sort of thing Bob Terzouls's book "The Tactical Folding Knife" is the classic guide to folder making. The book goes for like $250 now but you can download it for cheap.

Brian Fellhoelter really does a great job of explaining everything, I have gotten a lot by reading his posts.

One of the big things in my design is the location of the lock face in relation to the pivot, I designed everything around that and the hardware size. In theory the lock should be exceptionally strong. Lock strength has more to do with geometry than anything else.

There is a trick to the detent as mentioned, so far with the one I have done the lock up is rock solid.

One thing seldom mentioned is that the lock bar itself also has to do with the detent. It depends on how much sideways pressure the lock generates as to how solid the detent is. The thicker the scales are in the relief the more pressure can be exerted... of course the more pressure the harder it will be to smoothly release the lock. The more pressure the harder it will be to flick open too... It is a big balancing act in which everything must be right.

:applouse:

Congrats Daniel, I know you have worked hard for this moment. Awesome knife, it's going to be a brute! :thumbup:
Thanks! It is really exciting to see everything coming together!

Very cool!!
Much appreciated! :D

Sick brother. Looking good. Can't wait to see more.
Thanks! Once I get everything dialed in I'll be making a bunch! :D

Looking good Sir.!!
And its kind of FAT.....I like it.
Thick in the right places! :D

I'm interviewing for Sherpas to carry mine around.
Good call! :D

Hopefully it won't be too heavy but I already know it won't be light! That is a lot of Titanium, it feels solid.

Would give up the left one, I'm thinking.
That will work but you might have to fence it first, lol I don't have the facilities for that sort of thing.

I knew it! I just knew it. ;)
It's on now! :cool:

Here's the subtle harpoon tip I have planned! I have tried a lot of poon tip styles and I feel this one is original and sleek. I hope you guys like it!

foldernewpoon_zps1c3a7c5f.png

That harpoon tip looks perfect. Great lines ; classy yet tough looking. This will match perfectly with the fixed! Well done sir.

Here's the subtle harpoon tip I have planned! I have tried a lot of poon tip styles and I feel this one is original and sleek. I hope you guys like it!

So you're suggesting this will aid in the poon hunt then?

Maybe I *don't* want a Tanto...

Hell yeah i like it, but only if it's at least 0.227" thick ; ) Classy Daniel. Will the Poon be elongated or will this have a swedge at the top too? More poon = more better : ) Oh man i'm digging it. Make mine a Pooner style please.

Thanks!
Sid

That harpoon tip looks perfect. Great lines ; classy yet tough looking. This will match perfectly with the fixed! Well done sir.

I really appreciate the input, thanks! classy and tough is the goal!

So you're suggesting this will aid in the poon hunt then?

Maybe I *don't* want a Tanto...

Ummm yeah it sure does! :)

Hell yeah i like it, but only if it's at least 0.227" thick ; ) Classy Daniel. Will the Poon be elongated or will this have a swedge at the top too? More poon = more better : ) Oh man i'm digging it. Make mine a Pooner style please.

Thanks!
Sid

It will probably have my "wrap around" grind on the tip so the swedge is built in.

Thanks!

That's a NICE harpoon, Daniel.
I'll still go Tanto please.

Thanks! Once I get to making a few of these I might even do a harpoon tanto! I like doing different grinds...

Freakin' awesome. Some pretty serious progress - well done! Can't wait to see the grind you put on this. Thanks for the update!

Back