It followed me home (Part 2)

Along the same lines as the original "It followed me home" thread (78 pages, now closed):
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/941074-It-followed-me-home

In the words of Square-peg, the initiator of this thread:

"This thread is for posting pictures of new acquisitions. Anything axe or edge-tool related is fine, including axes, shovels, scythes, sharpening equipment, etc. What did you drag home this weekend? Post a pic. Show it to us as it came, with all the dirt and rust and dings intact."

Here's an unanswered question from the last post of that thread:

blasto9000 said:
I recently bought an older Gränsfors Bruk axe head on eBay. The dealer had it listed as a "Buy It Now" for $15. It was in fair condition, but the GBA logo was still visible, it hadn't been wire-brushed within an inch of its life, and the dealer didn't try to "sharpen" it. (Seems to me that most eBay dealers think putting lipstick on a pig will make an item *that* much more interesting.)

I emailed the dealer to tell him it's a Gränsfors and suggested he check the prices other dealers are getting for the same. No response. The item sat there for a couple more days. So I bought it. My first Gränsfors for under $200.

If I bragged that I snagged a Gränsfors for $15 I might get chewed out by the more honest among us. But that type of story lacks context, and lets' face it, providing typewritten context on a fun message board just doesn't happen all the time.

P.S., is this type of Gränsfors a faller, or a swamper, or ?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's a reponse to that question:

That double bit axe head looks like the "swamping" pattern made by Gransfors Bruks (and sold in the USA with the Stro-Bro label) during the 1960s, as detailed in this thread from Square-peg (complete with catalog picture of this axe model, shown as Item C, and a link to download the catalog):

I recently received a Seattle Hardware catalog from sometime in the late 60's. I haven't figured out exactly what year yet. Still, it's fun to look at their offerings and prices. Here's a sample.

Page%202.jpg

There are 9 pages of axes and hatchets. I've scanned them into a single pdf file.

http://cedarriverforge.com/Photo-index/Tools/Seattle Hardware catalog pages/Axes Prices.pdf

Interesting to see all those options that were available in "timber country" during the 1960s. Thanks, Pegs.

One brand I was not familiar with was "Stro-Bro" which were said to be made of Swedish steel. Turns out that's the name of a company in San Francisco called Strohecker & Broesamle. Here are some photos from an auction listing:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

As you can see from the stamp, this Stro-Bro axe was made by none other than Gransfors Bruks.

On the company history page at Gransfors Bruks' website, "Strohecker & Broesamle in San Francisco" was said to be "a major customer".
http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/home/the-history-of-the-company/

Here's a switch: In the price list, the imported Gransfors axes were priced lower than the comparable True Temper and (most of the ) Plumb axes.

Interesting that the only rafting axe on the list is a Stro-Bro brand, presumably from Gransfors.

From www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1152167-Axe-prices-in-the-late-60-s

Welcome back thread.

I had a good day at the local junk stores. I got an old Hultafors hatchet as well as an (as of yet) unknown boys axe head and another small mystery head. The Hults was wedged into it's makeshift handle with several ingenious "key" type wedges with I regrettably had to remove as I lack the skill to restore them to their original functionality. The boys axe bit is beveled and I'm eager to see what the vinegar bath will reveal. I have no idea what the last one is but it looked neat so I got it. Does anyone have any ideas about its origin? Total bill for all three was $15.

Thank you, Steve, for rebooting this thread.
bow.gif

Russ, that's a very interesting hatchet you have there. It looks like a Hudson Bay with lugs. Never seen one. Do you think it could have been cut down out of a larger axe?

That double bit axe head looks like the "swamping" pattern made by Gransfors Bruks (and sold in the USA with the Stro-Bro label) during the 1960s, as detailed in this thread from Square-peg (complete with catalog picture of this axe model, shown as Item C, and a link to download the catalog):

From www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1152167-Axe-prices-in-the-late-60-s

Thank you so much for the response! I really appreciate it. I've seen that Stro-Bro head (or another one like it) before. That might even be the same pic I spotted on a fleaBay auction.

The one I have is relatively roughly made; the eye hole is off-center, and the planes of the edges aren't parallel; imagine gripping each blade in pairs of tongs and giving it a hard twist. My similarly-aged Plumbs, Collins, et al., exhibit much finer manufacturing craft. But still, I like the low-centerline Swedish axes, since I don't process wood for anything more than the pleasure of it, and to keep my back strong and flexible.

Still, I have an as yet-unmounted Gränsfors double-bit handle (from a throwing axe) and it does seem to fit perfectly. So I may end up with a bastardized throwing-swamper sometime soon.

Stopped by Goodwill and this guy jumped out at me and it was mine for $6. Weighs in at 28oz.

14402198691_37f1c1b663_c.jpg
14218910869_fec6ac053b_n.jpg
14425730703_73e591855b.jpg

Only had 2 screws in it, think I can reuse this handle? If not, I was thinking about putting this on a 28" boys axe handle.

14219220038_bfb388f3ea.jpg

Very nice. You could re-use the handle with enough filler if you wanted to but I think that head would be perfect on a longer boys axe handle.

Thank you, Steve, for rebooting this thread.
bow.gif

Russ, that's a very interesting hatchet you have there. It looks like a Hudson Bay with lugs. Never seen one. Do you think it could have been cut down out of a larger axe?

I don't think I've seen anything like it. More poll than an HB too, isn't there?

The odd one doesn't look like it was modified but that my change after I clean it up. I have seen a drawing of that pattern in one of Dan Beards books where I believe he described it as loosely based on a tomahawk pattern.

The odd one doesn't look like it was modified but that my change after I clean it up. I have seen a drawing of that pattern in one of Dan Beards books where I believe he described it as loosely based on a tomahawk pattern.

It's similar, except for the rounded lugs:

image221.jpg

Fig. 323 shows a belt axe of a modified tomahawk shape, only three of which are in existence; one was in the possession of the late Colonel Roosevelt, one in the possession of a famous English author, and one in the possession of the writer. These axes were made for the gentlemen to whom they were presented by the President of a great tool works; they are made of the best gray steel and are beautiful tools.

From http://www.gutenberg.org/files/44215/44215-h/44215-h.htm#fig_323

Stopped by Goodwill and this guy jumped out at me and it was mine for $6. Weighs in at 28oz.

Sweet! 1-3/4 pounds - heavy hatchet or light axe, your choice. Good steel. I think the handle is reusable. And it has a nice grip/swell - worth saving. I wouldn't try to set the head much further down on the haft than it was before. Just smooth out the ridge and re-wedge it. Maybe deepen the kerf a little. Give it as much BLO as it will soak up.

Got my first quality axe- RMJ Shrike S13. I'm mighty impressed! :thumbup: Looks good with my Belt knife too. :D

Got my first quality axe- RMJ Shrike S13. I'm mighty impressed! :thumbup: Looks good with my Belt knife too. :D
Sorry laddy, that doesn't qualify as an "axe". Fashionable hatchet or more likely some version of a tomahawk.

It falls under edge tool. This is the Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum afterall.

Fine looking pair of edged tools you have there thanks for sharing RPN.

Thanks Zymologist. Enjoying the RMJ and loving the Winkler. :thumbup:

Last edited:

I wasn't questioning admissibility to this thread but rather the definition of "axe". No personal offense intended.

Last edited:
Well, RMJ calls them 'hawks and it's what they are. My mistake, thanks for pointing it out laddy. ;)

I blame my error on a hellacious week...or beer. ;) :)

In any case it's an impressive tool.

I went to help my brother-in-laws family move a couple days ago and my wife found this abused hatchet head out by their wood pile. It was her grandfather's hatchet and it rode home in my truck. It is a 1942 American Fork & Hoe Co. hatchet that is stamped with the military U.S. on it. It should clean up and will get a custom new haft eventually and probably be a birthday present for my step son next year.

My apologies for the crappy picture taken with my phone.

True Temper Flint Edge Kelly Works

Well........it followed me home nearly 30 years ago. It was my Grandpa's axe (I'm his namesake) and he gave it to me many years ago.

I rehafted it last year. I loaned it out and someone tried to use it for a pry bar.......cracked the original helve badly about halfway down. I was not happy.

vyixjSx.jpg

o4oCq1f.jpg

Back