It followed me home (Part 2)

I used to associate the 'Warren-teed' logo with Warren Axe & Tool until I learned that is was a trademark of the Warren Tool Corp. of Ohio. Still very good stuff.

Got this little guy today, it's a 3 1/2lb plumb on a 28" handle. It has a 5" wide bit. Couldn't pass it up for $10. Has original factory edge, and the slightest amount of mushrooming, but nothing an anvil and hammer won't fix. I haven't hit it with a wire brush yet, that's next on the to do list.

648686f876ef8ea4654becea2ccfc82e.jpg

da4cd519eb45782bb579722a6aa1b9c1.jpg

3a0ad1b3926b7826f7f1bb2d1e31d924.jpg

Threw a wedge in it to try it out for a bit, hence the rough cut left in the picture of the eye.

Last edited:
That is a nice axe. Plumb?

Looks really nice- ready to eat even. I'd keep that one too. :thumbup:

Had these kelly dandenong ax heads follow me home. These are one of the few gems that are fairly common to in my region.
The top one is a bit worn, or at least a slightly different shape, but the bottom one should clean up pretty well.

IMG_2855_zpsmdrwdhyt.jpg

IMG_2854_zpscqenz8xw.jpg

Luck has been with me the last two weekends! But it brings up a question, which is a better find? Please help 1) clean marked bluegrass double bit, 2) Shapliegh hammer forge poll ax 3) Keen Kutter made in USA block print double bit 4) old bluegrass double bit with bevels?
d116809c961f76824c383d347bf06b9d.jpg
acb276871cb0ef16366ea085f4cceecf.jpg
2ad45abde1d721d64784cf831a14115d.jpg
30db9c7541eb143fbf9a8e5708532edc.jpg
2402e8af6cc751129aa8eee978f896af.jpg
Kutter in left, good mark bluegrass middle, old bevel right

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
FWIW, My vote if in decent shape:
. . .2) Shapliegh hammer forge poll ax . . .
That would be a "better find" for me. I've recently spent some time searching for info on the "Shapleigh's Hammer Forged" branded axes. Found a few examples, but no real information.

Bob

Had these kelly dandenong ax heads follow me home. These are one of the few gems that are fairly common to in my region.
The top one is a bit worn, or at least a slightly different shape, but the bottom one should clean up pretty well.
IMG_2854_zpscqenz8xw.jpg

Great axes. Looks like this one has had some grinder work done but if it was done carefully there would be no harm to the temper.

Great axes. Looks like this one has had some grinder work done but if it was done carefully there would be no harm to the temper.

Good spotting. I agree. I think someone must have been a little daunted by its massive thick edge :)
Its a thick beast though. Upon close inspection I don't think its been grinded enough to heat up such a substantial bit of steel but you never know. Looks like its only been grinded in that one place on one side as well.
IMG_2860_zps8czwnlml.jpg

Im going to clean it up tonight, and its got a meeting with a brand new file so we will know soon enough.
I also picked up a haft for it today so ill hopefully make a start on hanging it tonight assuming the temper isnt messed up.
Keep an eye out in the what did you hang today thread :)

that dandenong on the bottom is a beauty.

IMG_2855_zpsmdrwdhyt.jpg

IMG_2854_zpscqenz8xw.jpg

Back