It followed me home (Part 2)

Just had this one join my stable. Will post more pics later after i get it sharpened etc. I think its best that I avoid to be seen to be doing a photoshoot with the ax at work. Lol :)
IMG_2941_zpsqr5mzn3d.jpg

Here is that 3lb Maine axe. It looks like an E&S, but I'm not sure it is. No logo known to me, and no initial in fro t of the eye. The shape, weight and date stamps match, but there were many Oakland makers. Whatever it is, it's sweet.

Here is that 3lb Maine axe. It looks like an E&S, but I'm not sure it is. No logo known to me, and no initial in fro t of the eye. The shape, weight and date stamps match, but there were many Oakland makers. Whatever it is, it's sweet.

Thats an interesting wedge, got any info on it? I haven't seen anything like it before. Once you get it out, I'd love to see pics.

Thats an interesting wedge, got any info on it? I haven't seen anything like it before. Once you get it out, I'd love to see pics.

They are in interesting style, factory installed on many Maine axes. I'll post a pic when I can.

Last edited:
Just had this one join my stable. Will post more pics later after i get it sharpened etc. I think its best that I avoid to be seen to be doing a photoshoot with the ax at work. Lol :)
IMG_2941_zpsqr5mzn3d.jpg

That is super fresh. Almost no toe wear. Imagine finding a Forester like that!

Definitely has that E&S look to it.

That is super fresh. Almost no toe wear. Imagine finding a Forester like that!

lol, im looking!
The forester is high on my list of things to acquire. they are really hard to find though. I think half the problem is that they were not all stamped, and some only had stickers.
I think many of them probably go unnoticed as unnamed heads. May take a keen eye to notice the diamond among the heap, but I have my eye out ;)

i just had a virginia pattern collins given to me, when the handle shows up i'll post it up. but it's in astonishing shape for being a farm ax. the rest of this guys axes were torn to shreds

That axe has *very* similar marking to one of my mystery heads. Mine had and H where yours has a C on the side, and mine had a 40 under the poll where yours has a 41. Very similar "top-down" profiles as well though mine is a Jersey. Has the same 3 stamp as well. Mine didn't have the cloverleaf stamp, but it may have at one point. Is it a forge-welded bit can you tell?

A family member of my wife's recently passed away and they know I like axes, so they handed me this fantastic boy's axe head. It's a Council Tool, with a really high centerline...like the best vintage axes. It seems it's had very little use. This is after I removed the wood from the eye...there was no handle. I don't recall seeing one with the weight stamped on the opposite side of the poll from the CT stamp. No idea of the vintage, but that centerline has me thinking it's probably 20+ years old. But who knows.

And here it is with some minor cleanup (next to a big 4-5lb Plumb I'm rehanging for the same family and a Norlund Tomahawk (I think) I am rehanging for a friend).

I have a Craftsman and Norlund boy's axe, but I get the feeling this will be *my* axe.

A family member of my wife's recently passed away and they know I like axes, so they handed me this fantastic boy's axe head. It's a Council Tool, with a really high centerline...like the best vintage axes. It seems it's had very little use. This is after I removed the wood from the eye...there was no handle. I don't recall seeing one with the weight stamped on the opposite side of the poll from the CT stamp. No idea of the vintage, but that centerline has me thinking it's probably 20+ years old. But who knows.

Have you weighed that one SCT100? I've got the 3 1/2 size stamped like that. It weighs 3lbs 12oz - I don't know how common it is to be that much over stated weight.

XUA8uRO.jpg

Last edited:
No, but it's much smaller than my typical 3.5 heads and feels close to my other 2-2.5-lb heads....it's definitely close to the stamped weight. I wonder if yours got hit with the wrong stamp? That's cool if so...unique head!

That axe has *very* similar marking to one of my mystery heads. Mine had and H where yours has a C on the side, and mine had a 40 under the poll where yours has a 41. Very similar "top-down" profiles as well though mine is a Jersey. Has the same 3 stamp as well. Mine didn't have the cloverleaf stamp, but it may have at one point. Is it a forge-welded bit can you tell?

Yes, these all were overcoat bits. That clover mark may not be factory original, unknown.

No, but it's much smaller than my typical 3.5 heads and feels close to my other 2-2.5-lb heads....it's definitely close to the stamped weight. I wonder if yours got hit with the wrong stamp? That's cool if so...unique head!

I know that there is some weight variation on hand forged tools, but I would expect some uniformity among die forged heads.

Got this one for $6 today. I didnt know if it had a name or not but it practically jumped into my hands for that price. It has a 5" wide blade. The handle guard was kind of neat to see on it, much better than a smashed handle (I cut the handle anyway). After some cleanup it turns out to be a collins. I havent seen anything like this one before though, it says the collins co on it.

20170416_130313_zpsnbqhuhvv.jpg

20170416_140501_zpsjm9ewr9h.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back