It followed me home (Part 2)

i just cleaned up my ball peen, i assumed it was just an unmarked hammer but, it's a plumb anchor with the original handle, and while im here, do you guys know anything about SENTRY axes?

I picked these up at an auction yesterday. The axe is very solid and seem like its ready to use.

eILY3N8.jpg

This axe has apparently been in the family since itwas new. It's been the house axe at the cabin, and I finally took notice of it. Brought up a better house axe (for the fireplace) to have on hand while I do a little refurbishing on this old beauty. Check out those smooth forged in cheeks. It's not my favorite pattern by a long shot, but it's in good shape except for the worn toe:

IMG_20170418_103151-small.jpg

IMG_20170418_103201-small.jpg

IMG_20170418_103243-small.jpg

IMG_20170418_103256-small.jpg

IMG_20170418_103305-small.jpg

IMG_20170418_103329-small.jpg

Wow! Terrific little boys axe. Needs some work on the edge but otherwise it looks great. I would definitely save the haft.

Wow! Terrific little boys axe. Needs some work on the edge but otherwise it looks great. I would definitely save the haft.

Which one, the Black Chief? Too heavy to be a boy's axe, I think, tho I'll weight it when I get it off. The haft definitely looks reusable.

The Black Chief. Just the handle/head relationship looked like a boys axe to me. How heavy is it? Full size eye?

That's a good size stone. Nice for honing an axe in the vise. And of course I love any old Warren logging tools.

That is a great looking Peavey/Cant hook JB.

Does that one have much play were the hook attaches?

I come across them sometimes but are they are usually OshKosh, companies I don't find info on, or just unmarked. The handles are usually what keep me from hoarding them. None are in as nice of condition overall as that Warren in your photos.

Carving out a handle for them crosses my mind but that does take a little bigger piece of wood than the average axe handle. - This reminded me of Bob’s.

Since cant hooks showed up, I thought I would post one that followed me home as a no-name sans handle:

26877147642_048411d718_c.jpg

After a little cleanup with a wire wheel:
26971493825_681a19a430_c.jpg

As best as I can tell it is stamped:
SNOW & NEALLEY CO
BANGOR MAINE

As to the handle (I don't run a logging operation here), it cost nothing, has not broken with use, and is easily replaceable.

Bob

i had someone who's always going and buying old stuff, so i asked her to look out for axes and sharp things... wednesday she sent me of a picture of a broad axe, but right behind it was an old style hamer poll "wedge" maul, so that might be coming, i dont know if she picked it up or not

This was covered in a gray powder when I bought it today at a flea market. I stopped just now at a picnic table and brushed off the dust, I'm pretty happy to say the least. It was $6.

Back